Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am 

Catalina N287 was registered to Cavanaugh Air LLC on 07Nov13. Can anyone tell me when it arrived at the museum (assuming it has) and confirmation that it flew there as opposed to being dismantled and transported by land.

Any photos of it in situ if it is there?

Thanks in advance.

Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 am 

Hello David,
It is still being made ready for its ferry flight. It is being worked on at the Wings Over Miami Air Museum at Tamiami airport.
I hope that helps.
Vincent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 am 

Hi Vincent - many thanks for confirming what I thought! Very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:32 am 

It was still sitting there at the Wings over Miami museum at Kendall-Tamiami airport when I visited there about 3 weeks ago. The entire wing was off of it and the center section was sitting there on pallets next to the fuselage. Flight controls were off of the empennage too.

If they are still working on moving it to Dallas, they sure are taking their sweet time about it. Didn't see the outer wing panels anywhere, so maybe they have been shipped out already.

Would love to see it restored to flying condition. Has anyone heard if there are any airworthiness issues currently with it (besides being half-disassembled) that prevented it from being flown to TX? Any corrosion issues in particular? Certainly has been sitting in South Florida under a brutal sun - and with that silly black paint job - for more than 20 years. ("Silly" IMHO only because of where it is located and the amount of time it spends outside under the harsh sun....)

Natasha: "You got plan, darling?"
Boris: "I always got plan. They don't ever work, but I always got one!"

Remember, any dummy can be a dumb-ass...
In order to be a smart-ass, you first have to be "smart"
and to be a wise-ass, you actually have to be "wise"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wonder if the plan is to restore her to a more stock configuration being a Super Cat.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Interesting bio.....

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/N287.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:37 pm 

Rajay wrote:
It was still sitting there at the Wings over Miami museum at Kendall-Tamiami airport when I visited there about 3 weeks ago. The entire wing was off of it and the center section was sitting there on pallets next to the fuselage. Flight controls were off of the empennage too.

If they are still working on moving it to Dallas, they sure are taking their sweet time about it. Didn't see the outer wing panels anywhere, so maybe they have been shipped out already.

Would love to see it restored to flying condition. Has anyone heard if there are any airworthiness issues currently with it (besides being half-disassembled) that prevented it from being flown to TX? Any corrosion issues in particular? Certainly has been sitting in South Florida under a brutal sun - and with that silly black paint job - for more than 20 years. ("Silly" IMHO only because of where it is located and the amount of time it spends outside under the harsh sun....)

It was all in one piece late last year when I was there unless there are two cats at Tamiami? This one was all black.

To be honest, I was quite disappointed in that museum. Half of the stuff in the hangar was normal civilian aircraft and everything else was behind the civilian stuff.

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:00 pm 

Hey, weren't you impressed with one of the largest collections of plastic model airplanes ever seen anywhere?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:08 am 

Bumping this thread and seeing some more stuff written about the tragic loss of N85U (the PBY-6A that broke up in the surf off Pensacola while filming the Nick Cage movie about the USS Indianapolis) also got me wondering about what PBY/Catalina restoration projects might be currently going on. Has there been any discussion of that recently - or should I just go read through David Legg's newsletter pages on the Catalina Society site?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:26 am 

Rajay wrote:
.....or should I just go read through David Legg's newsletter pages on the Catalina Society site?

Good plan ;-)

But seriously, it's not a bad place to catch up. For those not familiar, the Catalina operated in the UK by Plane Sailing Air Displays Ltd on behalf of the shareholder owners is partially supported by The Catalina Society which has its website at http://www.catalina.org.uk Subscribing 'Society members receive a hard copy 24-page magazine twice a year (The Catalina News) and the World Catalina News article within it is posted on the relevant part of the 'Society website after distribution. This means that most news get posted in both the mag' and the website in due course although because the latter is driven by the former it can be a few months behind, a good example being the latest news on N287 where it will not appear on the webpage until the Spring.

The website also has a worldwide 'Survivors' listing which is update twice annually too. Next update due by end-November.

Thanks for the 'plug Rajay!

End of commercial!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:06 pm 

Hi David,

The latest update is that the "Cat" will not be getting a ferry permit to fly to Texas.

She is being disassembled for trucking to Texas via a stop in Northeast Florida to drop some components off for restoration.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I saw it sitting outside last Spring and thought it looked pretty good, all things considered. I flew in it about 13 years ago and Charlie had restored it to tip top shape with "no corrosion." All issues had been treated and it had new engines and props. Last I heard it needed both engines overhauled. It also has turned to a flat black paint. However, Charlie kept it rubbed down with "SHeila SHine" which boat enthusiasts in south Florida swear by for corrosion protection and that's why it looked shiny back then.
I imagined when looking at it recently that the fabric had to be bad due to the 15 years or so sitting outside in the Florida sun. I bet they are getting the control surfaces recovered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 pm 

C.6-60 wrote:
Hi David,

The latest update is that the "Cat" will not be getting a ferry permit to fly to Texas.

She is being disassembled for trucking to Texas via a stop in Northeast Florida to drop some components off for restoration.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the update

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:32 pm 

Bump!

I don't have any news or updates to post - but I also still haven't had my question answered regarding exactly why it was disassembled and planned to be trucked to Texas. Does anyone know anything about whatever issues it apparently has? (That they are willing and able to post here that is.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just a guess; One or more engines needs to be overhauled. Seemed like I heard one was making metal. 2) Both Hamilton Standard props are past due on the recurring AD inspection and they might need to be overhauled.3) The hydraulic hoses are brittle and may need to be replacing. 4) THe wing has been metallized but the control surfaces are fabric. One or more control surfaces need to be re-surfaced to pass airworthiness punch tests.
Maybe it's cheaper to truck from South Florida and have the mX done at the home shop than to pay retail for everything in south Florida. It's a long way from it's new home.