Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: B-26 Marauder 40-1370 Restoration

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:38 am

Thats awesome, thanks. :drink3: :drink3:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Best of luck to him! Was the work so far done to airworthy standards?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks for posting the photos! I had tried to post some earlier, but alas, I am computer challenged...

Yes, everything is being done to airworthy standards.
Yes, it needs a LOT.
and Yes, its a lot of fun!

Pat

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:00 pm

So, is this a B-26-MA or a B-26A?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Wow! Bravo Pat! Definitely one to watch.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm glad someone has taken interest in a flyable B-26!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm

wingsandrotorspilot wrote:Thanks for posting the photos! I had tried to post some earlier, but alas, I am computer challenged...

Yes, everything is being done to airworthy standards.
Yes, it needs a LOT.
and Yes, its a lot of fun!

Pat

Thanks for joining the conversation Pat, it is appreciated!

A few questions for you:

1) Is it true that there are no blueprints or engineering drawings for the Martin B-26 Marauder? I've heard they were destroyed years ago - fire, flood?

2) If # 1 is true, are there enough parts out there that you can "reverse engineer" a complete, flyable B-26 without the use of blueprints/drawings?

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:22 pm

The Pima one has the center section and aft section from a B or C model also. They are from the movie studio/Tallichet. They have the wings off of 40-1501 as I recall. I am going to Pima next week to discuss a possible collaboration of resources, so to speak...

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:50 am

TriangleP wrote:Hi Pat, Chris Wilkinson here. I took the initiative without asking,but thought that many of those here that don't do Facebook might appreciate the pictures and good news of your acquisition and work. I added your moniker to the pics to keep it on the up and up.
Anything for the cause!

I'm in that "don't (refuse to) do Facebook" crowd. Thanks for the nod and posting up the pics/story!!

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Can anyone tell me if the drawing for the B-26 instrument panel is available , as I would love to have a go at reproducing one .
I have most of the instruments to hand , but have had no luck so far in finding the drawing or obtaining the outline from a genuine one. I have tried scaling one up from Photo's of the panel but it never looks right . I would love to see a complete B-26 in the U.K but that's a very long shot , I have seen Kermit Weeks example a few times maybe one day it will fly again !.
Sorry for the slight thread hi-jack.
Best Regards Station 342.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 am

If NASM has the films, I'd suggest just getting the entire set rather than a single shot or reel. Often, the drawings will not have all the information needed to produce a part without having to find information on a lower part drawing or a higher assembly drawing. Joseph Huntley ran into this a number of times while we were talking about Wildcat drawings. Also, unless they have gotten better, lead times on drawings or film were running about 10 weeks the last time I ordered. I haven't looked at the current cost, but a reel used to be about $30 for a diazo. A silver halide copy was considerably more.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 am

We have only one marauder in Europe that is completely, the rest are parts or crashrelics.
It is soo cool to see this project!!! I fell off my chair when i saw the pictures.
I wish the team tremendous courage, with getting complete of this great looking bird.

Are there pictures of the available parts, and sections??
And how complete is it now at this moment, and which is still looking for exactly to make it complete.

Thanxx and Good Luck!!!

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:31 pm

HI ,
Thanks guy for the ideas on obtaining the drawing for the instrument panel , I have the full set for the P-47 from the NASM , but have to say I was very happy when Air Corps Aviation put them on their Library, so easy to look up drawings without spending endless hours of scanning micro film .
Maybe one day some kind soul will donate the Marauder set !.
The Marauder is my favourite WW2 bomber .
Best Regards Station 342

Re: B-26 40-1370 Marauder Restoration

Wed May 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Best wishes to Mr. Pat Rodgers and Marauder 40-1370.

The Marauder deserves recognition as the American bomber with the greatest mission score of WWII.

The airplane was ahead of its time and is grossly misunderstood.

Hopefully some collaboration can be achieved between the other surviving Marauder owners & knowledgeable sources.

All real airplanes have idiosyncrasies, the more information gathered = the best restoration & safe operation of the machine.

If you come to Texas, you may find eager volunteers.

Re: B-26 40-1370 Marauder Restoration

Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 am

Iread that in England there is an almost complete fusalage. It looked very complete and was stored in a dry building.

I cannot recall if they were doing anything with it except yo preserve it.

It was in either aeroplane or airclues magazine.

Maybe some else saw and may have a copy.

The fusalage was painted black with us markings.

REGARDS COL
Post a reply