Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

CANSO PBY set to fly again

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:25 am

One of Buffalo's former Waterbombers that crashed in 2001 is set to fly once again after a 9 year restoration.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3976241

Re: CANSO PBY set to fly again

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 am

Awesome! It's too bad there aren't more still in the air. I haven't seen one here in the midwest for over ten years now.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:46 am

An incredible feat!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:14 am

The Canadian media call it a Canso...is it ex-RAF or RCAF?

Rather alike some Commonwealth members calling all DC-3/C-47s Dakota's when technically they're not.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:42 am

According to the Aviation Safety Network it's CV437. That's Canadian Vickers so it's a Canso. According to the Canadian Military Aircraft Serial Numbers website, it was RCAF 11094.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 pm

It's a Canso A as opposed to a Canso. It was built by Canadian Vickers but not all built there were Canso As. They built a large number of OA-10A Catalinas for the USAAF too.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Very cool on many levels! :supz:

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Lighten up fella's its a bloody Canso, enough said!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Fantastic work guys! She's come a long way...

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am

The CBC story does,t mention much about Mr McRea,he was acting co pilot when they sunk a German sub,then the sub shot them as they made a photo past after the first attack,he was awarded the DFC ,w,his Sqn 162 sunk 4 u boats in the spring of 1944,he also had a brother that was a pilot of a Halifax bomber that was lost over Germany,another pilot in his Sqn,was David Hornell VC.thrre is a article about James in the memory project.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:51 pm

helinut, if they ever decide to repaint the PBY in military markings, perhaps they would consider Mr. McRea's. Seems like it would be a fitting tribute. Just my $0.02.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:19 pm

I agree with that idea,there's already one painted as Hornells,I have nothing to do with the Alberta group,asIam on the East coast,I first meet Mr McRea,in 1986, and have heard him talk about there incident,and I know it was recorded,he is very nice gentleman ,and will openly talk about it.He is a true treasure of information about 162 Sqn,I can just imagine his families feelings during the war,losing one son in a Halifax and almost losing another in a Canso....

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:07 am

Warbird Kid wrote:helinut, if they ever decide to repaint the PBY in military markings, perhaps they would consider Mr. McRea's. Seems like it would be a fitting tribute. Just my $0.02.

Chris, repainting a Canso costs considerably more that $0.02 :wink:

Andy
Post a reply