Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:32 am 

I don't have Netflix, but I saw that the individual episodes are available for rent or purchase on Vimeo. $4 for rent.

Which one is best? Leaning towards the Hurricane show...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:54 am 

Richard W. wrote:
I don't have Netflix, but I saw that the individual episodes are available for rent or purchase on Vimeo. $4 for rent.

Netflix usually offers a free one-month trial if you wanted to watch them all in that month and then cancel the trial before they bill if that interests you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 am 

Thomas_Mac wrote:
Richard W. wrote:

Netflix usually offers a free one-month trial if you wanted to watch them all in that month and then cancel the trial before they bill if that interests you?

Thanks. I'll look into that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:20 pm 
KiwiZac

Netflix is great value, even if you don't watch very much.

With Plane Resurrection on there I'm excited to see the episodes I missed, and to binge on the lot! Series 2 is coming and features the CAF - Fifi and Diamond Lil, if I recall.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm 

I watched the first episode right after I read this thread. Very good show.

That was a day before the post regarding the crash of Janie. How horrible. Hammond seems to be extremely well regarded in the warbird rebuild community. So you'd think the airplane was in top shape and well maintained.

Sad news for hte passenger's family as well as Hammond's and I hope he revocers quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 am 

Any news on how Mr. Hammond is doing?

I watched the AT-6/Harvard episode yesterday. Maurice Hammond's daughter (her first name escapes me at the moment) is a really admirable inspirational person.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:48 am 

The Hardwick Warbirds page has been posting some updates. The latest one from January 29th reads.

https://www.facebook.com/Hardwick-Warbi ... 1999246741

Quote:
An update below from Maurice's eldest daughter, Emma.
Maurice underwent further neck surgery this past week.
~~~~~~~~
Thank you for all those who have messaged ref dad, I haven't had time to reply to them all. So here is an update.
Dad is home!!! He is doing really well, again better than expected hence allowed home a couple of days early. He has got movement back in his neck after having the rods removed last Tuesday. His movement currently is limited because all the muscles need to be worked over the coming weeks to give him his swivel back
He is now in good spirits, we as a family have had a few rough days with dad being very negative and down about things.
Again he's still on a long road to recovery and has been instructed to rest over the next couple of weeks with starting physio this week on his neck (while continuing with the treatment on his left arm).
Please can we ask people to respect dads space over the next couple of weeks.
For me being back in the hospital has brought back a lot of raw memories of the weeks following dads accident.very surreal to be back there so soon and see dad looking so vulnerable again in a hospital bed.
We are so very lucky to have him and he feels very thankful to get some movement back in his neck.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to John Marshalls family now and forever.
For all those who have read this message, please take my life's motto 'don't count the days, make the days count' as you never know what's round the corner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

Thomas_Mac

Thanks for the pointer. I'm not on facebook but that led me to the Hardwisk Warbirds web page.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:14 pm 

Thanks for the post. Just latched on to this programme and I agree, it's compulsive viewing. Episode 1 about the P51 is still available here in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm 

Stephan Wilkinson wrote:
It's a little overdramatized in certain ways, but that's what teevee does. The guy who rebuilt the P-51 in Episode 1 is presented as some kind of bumbling, overweight Brit who casually decides to restore a P-51 ("Me and the missus decided we had the time, and why not, eh?"), and there are numerous interview shots of "the Missus" talking as though Cedric was messing about in the garage but at least it kept him out of the pub, etc. etc. It all seems a little dotty, but it makes for a good story.

Ok, so I'm not the only one. I noticed this too but I'm not super plugged into the warbird world so didn't recognize the name. I start googling while watching it and the truth comes out. This isn't some random guy with a pile of scrap who decided to put it all together one day. He does this for a living.

I started Googling when he got into it to fly it. I was like "Nah...nobody just gets into a Mustang. He has T-6 time, which means he has money. Which means he's probably into this pretty good. Which means....wait a second!!"

Anyway...it was fun. :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

To be fair, they do cover a lot of his history in the show if you pay close attention. Some of it is "glossed over", but there are mentions throughout the episode of how it was this project that got him into the restoration game and where he is now. It's hard to condense a decade of work and all the little "tendrils" of side-projects that end up becoming businesses that end up becoming full-time jobs that happened with that restoration.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 am 

Looks interesting. Will watch. pop2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am 

Quote:
It's hard to condense a decade of work and all the little "tendrils" of side-projects that end up becoming businesses that end up becoming full-time jobs that happened with that restoration.

My (minor) gripe was not with condensing a lot of history into a short space, it was with the writing and editing that in a sense morphed a professional aircraft restorer into a casual amateur. Obviously if you knew the history of the man you wouldn't have been fooled, but the casual viewer (and that's who this series is intended for) could well have thought, "Gee, restoring a warbird apparently is easy enough that you choose to do it rather than going around the corner for a pint, once you have the missus on board..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

He wasn't a professional aircraft restorer when he started the project back 15+ years ago. They quite accurately detailed this. It was his prior engineering and tool making experience that put him in a good position to become a restorer, and again, they covered this in parts during the show. I think that you going in knowing his history caused you to make assumptions and not pay as close attention to what was presented. I knew (peripherally) of Maurice before watching the episode and knew he was now a well respected restorer, but beyond that, I had no preconceptions of him or the show. As a result, I got all the things I've talked about in my posts from the show, not from the internet or other articles on him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:01 am 

Any news on his state of Mr. Hammond's health? I hope he's recovering well.