Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A new series is on Netflix called Plane Resurrection. It chronicles story of individual restoration/rebuild of Warbirds,and I'm hooked after 2 episodes.
Episode one is about Maurice Hammond's rebuild of his Mustang 44-11518 AND the Merlin that powers it. Number 2 is about Peter Vacher's Mk.1 Hurricane R4118 the only airworthy Hurricane that fought in the Battle of Britain.
Highly Recommended viewing! It can be found in the "New to Netflix" section.

Last edited by Warbirdnerd on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:34 pm 

Is Hurricane P3351 not currently airworthy?

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm not sure. The episode referred to R4118 as the only BoB vet still airworthy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

P3351, when it was a Mk1, saw service in the phoney war Battle of France in early 1940, then later in the Battle of Britain, before being sent to Russia.

After restoration in New Zealand I think it was sold to somebody in France a few years ago and apart from a slight mishap where it ended up on its nose (taxiing a bit quick maybe?) it should still be airworthy.

Cheers

Barry

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:04 pm 

So we don't lose the message, the OP's original point was that "Plane Resurrection" is an excellent new (to us--it's a Brit documentary series) TV show, and I agree wholeheartedly. Things may have changed since the show was filmed, certain airplanes may no longer be "the only whatever," but I too am hooked on the series. It's a little overdramatized in certain ways, but that's what teevee does. The guy who rebuilt the P-51 in Episode 1 is presented as some kind of bumbling, overweight Brit who casually decides to restore a P-51 ("Me and the missus decided we had the time, and why not, eh?"), and there are numerous interview shots of "the Missus" talking as though Cedric was messing about in the garage but at least it kept him out of the pub, etc. etc. It all seems a little dotty, but it makes for a good story.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Same guy, same plane. Tragic!

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2016-10- ... e-crashes/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1897133/l ... wo-aboard/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 am 

I stumbled upon this show Saturday for the first time on Netflix. I was shocked, an honestly GOOD airplane show I had never heard of before, amazing! How had the interwebs not warned me?!
Anyway in the states season one is six episodes, starting with the Hurricane. I have watched it and episode 3 on the Fokker Triplane. I am guessing they have removed the Hammond P-51 episode here in the States due to the accident.
EDIT: Actually, the Hurricane is episode two. My son had already watched episode one WITHOUT TELLING ME. It started at episode two because of that. Wanted to clarify that the U.S version does begin with the Hammond P-51. I need to watch it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm 

I Watched Episode 1 just a couple of days ago, so if they removed it because of an accident back in October, it sure took them awhile to get around to it.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80133194? ... 7-38016017

Just checked. It's still available on Netflix.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 pm 

Yes, I realized right after I posted that I was in error. My son had watched the P-51 episode so when I clicked on the series it started with episode 2 (the Hurricane) without me knowing it had skipped to the second episode. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:40 pm 

Episode 1 (P-51) was very interesting, but it gave one the impression that it followed Maurice Hammond during the entire 5 year restoration project. There are segments where he is shown defty installing rivets or working on some subassembly, but its clear that he is either working on a subsequent project since the P-51 was clearly already completed or beyond the stage being filmed.

Well done, though, but it is quite a shame that subsequently a passenger's life was lost in the Janie accident and that Mr.Hammond was so severely injured. I've not yet seen a report on the cause of the crash.

http://aeroantique.com/
"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Barry, just to answer your question, Hurricane P3351 has indeed been airworthy/flying again since the prang a couple years back. Why R4118 is credited everywhere as being the last/only surviving Hurricane that saw service in the Battle of Britain, still flying, is beyond me, as P3351, as you say, was also involved as well, operating with No. 32 Sqd. from early-September until mid-December 1940.

With regard to the episode on Maurice Hammond and his Mustang 'Janie', those that don't know would probably also not gather from it that after restoring 'Janie' he also restored/built 'Marinell' (a clone of 'Janie'), as also seen in the piece, but never really talked about. Supposedly 'Marinell' was sold this past year, to a person based in Italy (this taking place prior to the incident with 'Janie'). Those close-to/involved with Hardwick Warbirds, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I had read at some point that Maurice was restoring a 3rd Mustang, which I assumed explained some of the assembly work being done in the Plane Resurrection piece.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:27 pm 

I had understood that while both P3351 and R4118 both "served" during the Battle of Britain, it was only R4118 that saw "combat" in the Battle of Britain, in that P3351's service during the Battle of Britain was limited to patrols over the north of England.

Regardless, I've watched a couple of episodes and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks to the original poster for letting us know about the series.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Also, just FYI, "Series 2" (aka Season 2) is coming in 2018 and is mostly US-based aircraft, and several of them are near and dear to our hearts here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I just finished reading Hidden Warbirds II. In the Sandbar Mitchell article they mention a film crew filming the scene for a restoration show. Is this the show they were talking about ?

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If I'm not mistaken it was a crew from Hemlock films. The same people who make the series " The Restorers". They are based out of Ohio.