Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:22 pm 

Found this item on eBay and just can't figure out what it is or what aircraft might have used it. I even contacted it's manufacturer Guardian Electric Manufacturing Co., and they had no records of it nor have any employees who were around when it was produced (Guardian does make flight control grips, tho). It almost appears to be a radio/radar altimeter given what looks like an altimeter to the left, with perhaps an altitude limit setting indicator in the middle. Was unable to trace the USAF contract number (AF-33-600-15676 - BTW, anyone know how to dissect the contract codes?). And I'm probably deceiving myself when speculating that the drawing number prefix might suggest that it was used in B-52 D model. Anyone know, or any educated guesses?

http://aeroantique.com/
"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-52d.htm

"AF33(600)-" is a prefix for the B-52D contract.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:10 pm 

bdk wrote:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-52d.htm

"AF33(600)-" is a prefix for the B-52D contract.

Looks like the contracts cited also included the E version, according to the linked reference:

"The aircraft were ordered under 4 separate contracts. The first, AF33(600)-28223, finalized on 31 August 1954, covered 50 aircraft; the second, AF33(600)-31267, signed on 26 October 1955, involved 51 B-52Ds and 26 B-52Es-the next model in the series. Like preceding B-52s, the new planes were to be built at the Boeing Seattle plant. The other 2 contracts, AF33(600)-26235 and AF33(600)-31155, finalized on 29 November 1954 and 31 January 1956 respectively, totaled 69 B-52Ds and 14 B-52Es-all to come from Boeing's new production facilities in Wichita, Kansas."

BDK, can you (or anyone, perhaps someone from 1950's USAF Procurement?) provide additional insight into the contract numbering system of that era? Specifically, I'd like to determine if the sequencing of the numbers is of significance in confirming that an item was actually ordered as OEM for the aircraft. The contract number on the T-19 module following the above prefix is 15676, which numerically precedes the ones cited above for the B-52D/E.
So either
a) specified OEM contracts were issued in order of the aircraft's production sequence or bill of material, with the final assembled/delivered aircraft as the final (i.e., numerically highest) contract #,
b) the contract for this item was issued for an aircraft preceding the contract cited, or
c) the contract numbering sequence is unrelated and I'm being totally anally-retentive, which is probably true regardless.

I'm still speculating that the drawing number starting with "B52D..." is an interesting clue.....

Still trying to figure out what a T-19 module actually does....

"All right, Striker, you listen, and listen close. Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 am 

Hello all, I recently purchased one of these off Ebay myself. It was about as close to unissued condition as you can get. It still had the yellow inventory tag attached but a lot of the writing was too faded to read. Like the O/P, I tried contacting the original manufacturer but no one knew anything about it. I have gone to several web sites that have the B-47 and B-52 flight manuals and haven't found anything. I did disassemble the unit and traced out the lighting circuit. If you look at the connector on the back of the unit, there is a vertical row of 4 large pins down the middle. Just to the right is a vertical row of 5 smaller pins. The lighting pin is the bottom pin in that row. From everything I've read, the lighting circuit requires 48 volts DC. All of the lamps are red and are under the caps on the front panel. There is a cap marked "Spares" where spare lamps and fuses would be kept. Mine actually had three spare fuses but no lamps. The unit should look pretty nice with all of the lamps working. If anyone else has any info on this unit, please let me know. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 am 

If you search on Bendix-Friez on pictures you will find the right side instrument :
Vintage Aircraft Instrument - Bendix-Friez - A63-C7A
Type: 6300-C7A-29-A4
Autosyn Indicator
Made in USA by Bendix Aviation Corporation - Eclipse Pioneer Division
400 Cycles, 26 Volts or 800 Cycles, 52 Volts

I also see the word Dynamotors which were generally were used to transform one voltage/cycle to another.
There are 2 Dynamotor switch and a synchronization instrument. So to me it looks like this controller was used to have tw0 Dynamotors working parallel. To do so the AC wave form has to be synchronized

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm 

You are not going to believe this, I found a photo of this unit in the aircraft it was used in. It came from the Convair B-36J Peacemaker. It was mounted in a rack and labeled 'BOMB BAY1" the website is www.nationalmuseum.af.mil. Use the search window and type in Convair B-36 and scroll down to the radar-navigator's station and it will be on the right hand side.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm 

Terrific! Yep, there it is.
Now we just need to know what its function was.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm 

I have an email out to the folks that have that plane but I don't know how long it will take to get a reply. As soon as I hear back I'll post the info. You know, the internet is a great thing when it's used right. 10 years ago we have never found this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:30 pm 

Hello all, The company that made this finally managed to locate one document on this. It's the"build to print" document. It looks like they built just the case. I put in a new email to the research division at the Air Force Museum and don't know how long it will take to get an answer. If anyone is interested in a mating connector for the 22 pin rear panel connector, it's an Amphenol 28-11S and several Ebay vendors have them for relatively cheap. Just do an Ebay search for "Amphenol 22 pin connector"