Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 pm 

Friends,

The time has come for our family to sell the photo collection my Dad had built up over his years of writing. We realize we aren't the best home for the photos as none of us really uses the collection for our own endeavors.

The collection is being sold as is, either in part or whole. As everyone knows a significant portion of the collection is public domain material so we're not making any warranty about copyright. We're just selling it as it is which is largely high quality duplicates of photos as well as a number of original 35mm and original large format transparencies.

The collection has roughly 15,000 unique color images and maybe 18,000 to 20,000 black and white photos (also mostly duplicates).

About 8,500 of the color photos have been digitized in high quality TIFF format. Those are also being sold.

It's been bittersweet to realize we need to help the collection move to a better home, but it's the right time.

If any of you know anyone who might want to take the collection on send me a PM.

All the best,

David

Last edited by dethell on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 am 

Sent you a PM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:54 pm 

Why not donate the collection to the National Air and Space Museum in Jeff's honor. I sent Jeff slides and photos from my collection. Are you claiming copyright to my material?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:50 am 

norman malayney wrote:
Why not donate the collection to the National Air and Space Museum in Jeff's honor. I sent Jeff slides and photos from my collection. Are you claiming copyright to my material?

At this point we have not considered donating the collection. We are not claiming any copyright to the material as basically the majority of the collection is now public domain in terms of copyright. Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific concerns with the material you sent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm 

I truly hope you can find a good home for these photographs. I have a well worn Jeff Ethell book here of WWII color photos, that I look through at least once a week. I'm proud of the work he did to compile the collection.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'll echo what Jason said. I have several of Jeff's books and they are my go to for color reference photos. I pulled a random book (56th FG by Squadron) off the shelf this evening, and right on the back cover is a photo provided by Jeff. Good luck with finding a good home for your fathers collection David.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:56 am 

Some of you have asked in Private Messages about buying a portion of the b/w or color collection. While we want to sell it as a whole we are not against selling portions of it. The requests have mostly been about buying all the photos for a certain aircraft type so I wanted to answer that possibility.

The black and white collection is largely organized by aircraft type so there is a greater possibility of someone purchasing a given type form that collection. The color collection is largely organized by the photographer the images came from so there is a greater mix of aircraft types.

As such I think piecemeal sales will make the most sense for the B/W collection. Follow this link to see the basic listing of b/w folders:
http://www.ww2color.com/prints.php

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm 

Quick update for everyone:

The B/W collection has been sold in its entirety. Thanks to the many of you who inquired about it and discussed it with me. Our family is very happy that the B/W collection has found what we think is the best possible home. It is in the hands of a collector who will do it the best justice.

The color collection is still here and now we will focus our efforts solely on selling it. We are not considering breaking the color collection apart. It will be sold as a whole.

Thanks again for all the interest and helpful suggestions from the members here.

Blessings,
David Ethell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am 

Hey David...PM sent. Sorry to see this.