Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

I know I would like to see some shots of the inside of the nose and cockpit since those will be exposed for all to see on my plane. For anyone interested, here is my build thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warb ... hread.html

Just about finished the left nacelle, just need the upper portion of the wing done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:08 pm 

You were making great progress until you put it on hold! I wish I had the time and energy to scratch build - the last ARF I've customized over the last several years have taken enough out of me. I've been in and out of RCU over the last several years and didn't realize you had a thread going there, I'll be sure to follow it now.

Somewhere around here I have a piece of Tootsie's skin mounted to a plaque that I bought at an airshow.

Looks like the interior is gray?

http://b-25history.org/aircraft/4430606.htm

http://flightaware.com/photos/view/3687 ... b3d2b4c25b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am 

I found that second pic of nose art the other day and it will be perfect to send to Callie when I'm ready for it. If I hadn't purchased that Rascal 168, I would have been a lot further on this, maybe even up to paint stage by now. I would also been $1000 richer..... That plane was a 53 pound mistake, flew it twice, one circuit each, first time dead stick, second time near dead stick and darn near lost it, turned out to be poor RX placement and it lost signal when facing a certain way. It is a big orange lead sled. Hopefully my next flight lasts more than a minute and I can actually fly it for a while, or I would be really upset on all the time lost on the B-25.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:15 pm 

I have a B-25 that I'm afraid to fly for the same reason. It's just a Royal so not too expensive but I'd hate to lose it. My father in law built one and crashed it on maiden because it was too heavy. He bought another one basically built to ARF level and eventually gave it to me along with his wreckage. I have it ready to fly but I used his engines (K&B 45 Sportsters) and I'm worried that this one may be built just as heavy as the one that crashed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:18 pm 

Getting back to this almost a year later. I found a really nice side shot from Carson City. I noticed something interesting, I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the tail is missing the skidbump, or whatever you want to call it. Glad I caught it before I finished the fuse, or it would not have been scale! :)

On another note, I tried contacting Carson City airport to find out if by any chance they know if Tootsie will be out on display at this years Open House, it appears it was in 17, but that doesn't mean it will be this year and would like to know before hand so I can plan for a trip.

In doing more research I found out the plane was painted back in the 80's in the color it is now and all I can say is they have taken some really good care of it for it to shine like it was freshly done.

Still have a long way to go before I can even lay a coat of paint on it, right now I am working on a plug for the cowl. I noticed the ready made cowls are not to scale, too flat, where the cowl on Tootsie has a rather noticeable curve to it. It also has the small cooler vent atop the cowl which I am trying to get to match as close as I can, and it isn't easy, but did find several different photos at different angle to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can provide 3d printed/laser cut Clayton stacks for your B-25 if you need 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 am 

I haven't seen Tootsie outside since that last open house when she was on display. Weather permitting I will be at the airport on Friday for lunch at our EAA chapter house. I will talk to the airport manager to see if he knows anything. It might be a little early yet to find out who wants ramp space at this years open house.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 pm 

...for those interested in executive conversions...Brackett Field LaVerne/Pomona (POC), CA...May 1964

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm 

No one knows if Tootsie will be on display this year yet. The owner planned on it being on the ramp last year but some important business came up and they were unable to put her out. I might be able to find out in the next couple of months.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 pm 

Carson City Airport manager stopped by the clubhouse today at lunch and said Tootsie will be on display at the open house on June 29 2019. He said they managed to find some volunteers and Cactus Airforce will help them get the plane across the field to the display area. As long as nothing comes up to cause a change in plans it should be on display.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

sledge39 wrote:
...for those interested in executive conversions...Brackett Field LaVerne/Pomona (POC), CA...May 1964

Just awesome stuff sledge, first color photo I've seen of that Mitchell. pop2