Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The Malta Aviation Museum has already had one mention in an earlier post in this thread, but I just came across a page on their website which has more examples, so I'm going to revisit the museum.

GSE at the Malta Aviation Museum
  • David Brown Aircraft Tractor - 1 of 2 recovered from a scrapyard
  • RAF Accumulator Trolley - Museum has 2
  • Airfield Control Vehicle - Based on a Bantam Karrier truck, operated by the RAF in Malta, presented to the Museum in 2012 by the Maltese aviation authorities.
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Safety Raiser - Official name: Adjustable Mobile Aircraft Servicing Platform Mk 2
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Bedford QL-D Tanker - Used by the RAF in Malta
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Trattorino Aero Portuale - Donated by Italian Military Mission in Malta through the AFM Air Wing
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Standard Ensign Estate Staff Car - Used by the RAF in Malta, donated in 2009
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Pneumatic Servicing Trolley Mk 1B - Used by the RAF in Malta, donated by Air Malta
    Link to Oversize Photo
  • Aircraft Jacks - Former RAF jacks, donated by Air Malta
    Link to Oversize Photo

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Perusing the Internet today, I came across a list of vehicles and equipment on display at the Pima Air & Space Museum. The list happens to be on an archived version their old website - hence the reason I couldn't find any info when I posted the picture of the Oshkosh firetruck earlier in the thread.

GSE at the Pima Air & Space Museum

The museum also has some other land vehicles that may or may not be GSE. Some of the pages weren't archived, so they don't all have links.

Other Land Vehicles at the Pima Air & Space Museum

Last edited by Noha307 on Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

maxum96 wrote:
Taigh Ramey wrote:

More of the ground support equipment in use at Bomber Camp. Here you can see the Federal C2 Airfield Wrecker truck and the Clarktor tug

Where? :lol:

Home wreckers? :) :) :)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As a very young kid growing up on Air bases, I recall those huge Federal CF-55s towing C-124s.

At our local field, a guy has a Clark tug...He said it was from the Douglas factory. It would be neat to have it painted on those markings....whatever they were.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I found 3 more examples in Vagabond's excellent photo gallery he posted about.

Dodge Truck at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum - marked as Department of Commerce Civil Aeronautics Administration

Clarkair Crawler Model CA-1 Tractor, Model BABX958 at the Silent Wings Museum - C. OF E. P. O. U-5053 (?)

3 U.S. Navy Tugs at Sam Winer Motors

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Recently I read where Beech made some sort of self propelled GSE.
I can't recall where I saw it or I would quote it.

Anyone know what it might be and have a photo or info on survivors?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

JohnB wrote:
Recently I read where Beech made some sort of self propelled GSE.
I can't recall where I saw it or I would quote it.

Anyone know what it might be and have a photo or info on survivors?

Do you remember anything else about it that might help narrow down a search? Such as when it was made, or what type of GSE it was (I am assuming it is a tug).

GSE at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada
  • 1942 Ford Aerodrome Crash Truck - On long term loan from the Municpal District of Willow Creek; used at the BCATP airbase at Vulcan, eighteen km east of Nanton during World War II; known as "Old Bumpy" due to the tread of the tires
  • 1941 Dodge Fuel Bowser - Donated by Karl Bazin of Swift Current, Saskatchewan; used by the #39 Service Flying Training School BCATP base at Swift Current, Saskatchewan during World War II
  • 1943 Ford Aerodrome Fire Truck - Donated by the Village of Forrestburg and the Forestburg Fire Department in 1993, purchased by the village in 1947 from Crown Assets
  • Aircraft Towing Tractor - Donated by 408 Squadron, believed to have been used on a BCATP base in Alberta
    Likely the tug in the picture with the 1941 Dodge above
  • 1941 Ford F-60 RCAF Transport Truck - Donated by Alexander and Dorothy Miller of Spruce Grove, Alberta in 1997; used in the defence of the northwest coast of Canada and in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:51 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

GSE in the Shuttleworth Collection

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Similar to the display at Goodfellow AFB, the Royal Air Force apparently also has a collection of firefighting vehicles in the form of the "Museum of RAF Firefighting". The museum apparently used to be a Hangar 2 at RAF Scampton, but was forced to leave on 7 January 2016 and put its collection into storage. However, the good news is that they are already working on finding a new location. It is also worth noting that all of 40+ vehicles hosted at the museum are privately owned".

GSE at the Museum of RAF Firefighting
  • 1941 Fordson War Office Type One (WOT1) - One of only 3 surviving examples, used in the advance after D-Day and in Berlin as part of the Berlin Airlift, returned to England in 1953, recovered from farm in 1970s by Tony Corbin, restored over 20 years, previously on loan to the Manston Fire Museum, purchased from Mr. Corbin in 2009, license plate "RAF108140"
  • Airfield Crash Rescue Truck (ACRT) - Restored by Paul Hazell and acquired in 2014, previously had license plate "FND 189F", now has license plate "91 AA 72"
  • Austin K6 CO2 Tender - Previously owned by the "Fire Services National Museum Trust", was in storage for 30 years, acquired by the museum in 2014
  • Dual Purpose Mk1 (DP1) - Served at RAF Gaydon and RAF Topcliffe, left RAF service in 1974, obtained by the Potter Group at Rippon, then re-registered as KFF 132, bought by the Thornycroft Society in 1993 and restored, acquired by Steve Shirley from the Society on ebay, license plate "24 AG 59"
  • TACR1 (Truck Aircraft Crash Rescue) Mk 1 - First example of the type supplied to RAF, deployed in 1977 to St George’s Barracks in Sutton Coalfield during the National Fireman’s Strike, (Operation Burbury) used in support of 42 Marine Commando, attended some 230 incidents in a 58 day period, then served at RAF units Manston, Newton and Swinderby before being sold, recovered from Lydden Motor Race Circuit in Kent, used there as a fire & rescue truck, eight layers of paint found during restoration, which included red, green and Day-Glo, license plate "28 AG 00"
  • Bedford/Pyrene Mk8
  • Alvis/Pyrene Mk6 Crash Truck - Built in 1956, first Mk6 production model, served at RAF Wyton in the 1970’s, downgraded to instructional assembly in 1976, served in Coastal, Transport, Fighter and Maintenance Commands according to records, currently on loan from the National Fire Museum Trust based at Weedon, license plate "23 AG 56"
  • MK11 Scammell Super Major 6X6 Gloster Saro Crash Tender - served at RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Lyneham, license plate "02 AY 22"
  • Volvo Armaments Support Vehicle - Served at the Armaments Support Unit (ASU) based at RAF Wittering, used to protect weapon convoys in case of fire and accidents, 1 of only 3 built, they were named after Knights of the Roundtable, this example was named "Arthur", license plate "15 AY 54"
  • Ibex - Museum has 2 examples, only 2 were believed built, used in Gibraltar, arrived in February 2017 [Ref 1]
  • Austin K4 [Ref 2][Ref 3]
  • Mk9 - license plate "28 AJ 52" [Ref 4]

The museum was forced to sell 2 non-RAF vehicles when they moved:
  • Thorneycroft Nubian Major - Served at Prestwick Airport in Scotland, then served at the Imperial War Museum Duxford [Ref 5]
  • Bedford TM - Believed to be only survivor of 2 built, used at Beltring Military Vechicle Shows [Ref 6]

The museum has also scrapped 1 vehicle for parts:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

While, I have already posted photos of some of the GSE at the Royal Air Force Museum earlier in this thread, I've missed most of them and haven't done a formal run-through using the museum's website. So I'll go ahead an do that here. Again, standard disclaimer, I don't know if these all technically qualify as GSE and I've left out the ones I know are not.

GSE at the Royal Air Force Museum

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A quick two more that I came across today:

Aircraft Starter Truck at NMUSAF

1940s Crosley "Gas Porter" - Used by the Hartford Flying Service at Brainard Field in Hartford, Connecticut

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I don't know anything about it, but this was at an aviation museum in Goteborg, Sweden.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:41 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

maxum96 wrote:
I don't know anything about it, but this was at an aviation museum in Goteborg, Sweden.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

I've been sort of making an informal list with this thread, but don't let that make anyone else be hesitant to post their own pictures.

Oshkosh A/S32P-15 Fire Truck at the Selfridge Military Air Museum - Second prototype, originally served at Wurtsmith AFB, moved to Selfridge ANGB when Wurtsmith was inactivated

1994 Walters CT4 Aircraft Fire Fighting Rescue Truck at the Aviation Hall of Fame & Museum of New Jersey - Used at Morristown Municipal Airport

The Naval Air Museum Barbers Point apparently has quite a bit of GSE, here are a few pictures I found:
From Warbirds News:
Link to Oversize Photo
From Yelp:

The CAF Dixie Wing has some sort of standard tug, seen here to left of a golf cart in a photo on an article on their 30th anniversary:
Link to Oversize Photo

Meanwhile, the Planes of Fame crew had some fun with their tug at their own 60th anniversary this year:

Finally, it looks like the Cold War Air Museum has some kind of to a Clarktor:

I was trying to avoid posting big photos, but it looks like the definition of "big" has steadily crept upwards! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:59 am 

I just found his thread this morning and was thrilled to see my favorite ground support vehicle - the high-speed tractor.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120707095 ... ractor.jpg

In the late 1950's - early '60's a local farmer had 3 of them that were used for heavy tillage (plowing and disc-harrowing) and as a teenager I was king-of-the-hill operating them; I have several hundred hours of seat time. 2 of them still exist - here is a picture of one taken 4 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:15 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Noha307 wrote:
Finally, it looks like the Cold War Air Museum has some kind of to a Clarktor:

My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure that tug is of civilian origin. However, the Clarktor at the D/FW Wing came from NAS Dallas -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next