Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 pm 
KiwiZac

I wonder if there'll be just the one B-29 this year? Dreams are free!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:02 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
I wonder if there'll be just the one B-29 this year? Dreams are free!

It's looking like there will be two B-29s. From Doc's Friends http://www.b-29doc.com/2017/03/10/b-29- ... perations/

"Doc’s Friends’ communications and event planning team are in final negotiations with multiple regional air shows, including EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh.

“We aren’t ready to release the details of our 2017 tour just yet, but we are confident we’ll be able to make an announcement regarding our travel plans soon. We have a few more minor winter maintenance items to complete and we’ll begin running engines before the end of March. If everything goes as planned, I expect us to be back in the air in early April,” Murphy said.

The 2017 B-29 Doc tour schedule will include multiple public events in at least six states. Information will be released to the public via the media, as well as online at http://www.b-29doc.com and Doc’s social media channels."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:29 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

A preliminary schedule from the March 2017 EAA Warbirds Magazine-
Monday- Warbirds Mass Arrivals
Tuesday- 1 hour warbird airshow featuring all types and formations
Wednesday- Celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the Doolittle Raid. As many of the B-25s as possible will fly in the Tuesday airshow followed by a recovery to Warbird Alley to be parked as the were on the carrier in April 1942. The B-25s will launch on Wednesday afternoon from the Alley with a mass takeoff. Our Warbirds line crew and re-enactors will be positioned next to the runway to flag them off. Dick Cole is scheduled for Warbirds in Review at 1pm Wednesday when the B-25s will be parked on Warbird Alley
Wednesday and Thursday- Safety forums
Thursday- 30 minute airshow featuring the Jets
Friday and Saturday- 1 hour warbird airshow featuring all types and formations.
Is it July yet?

:drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

New aircraft highlights posted on Airventure website:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-a ... hkosh-2017

Notables that I haven't seen announced before in this thread include a Collings Foundation Spitfire IX, CAF SBD Dauntless and Rod Lewis' A-20 Havoc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:16 pm 
Just over 4 months out, am I the only one not feeling real excited about Oshkosh this year (as far as Warbirds and other unique larger civil aircraft types are concerned)?

I know that a lot of people love homebuilts, Pipers, Cessnas, aerobatic airplanes, etc. but Warbirds, large vintage airliner types, etc. are the reasons I go to Oshkosh (attended 2010 and 2016) and just does not seem to be much news yet in that area.

Hope we here something soon (Doc B-29, vintage jet types, A-20, etc.).

I know there is always something good to see every year, but hoping to hear something really special to make an expensive trip worth all the effort.

:roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My hopefuls (that have and have not been mentioned)... Texas Flying Legends' P-51C "Lope's Hope III" (it should be there, as I understand), TFL's Bearcat, Reilly's XP-82, Allied Fighter's P-47D "Dottie Mae" (seems as though it could be ready to fly just about any week now?), Collings' Spitfire IX (already confirmed), Lewis' A-20 Havoc (already confirmed), Dixie Wing's P-63 (already confirmed), Slattery SBD, Slattery P-38F, Friedkin's P-51D "Frenesi", Fagen's new SNJ, Paul Ehlen's F4U-4, VWoC's Spitfire IX, B-29 "FIFI" (already confirmed), B-29 "Doc" (all but confirmed it seems), Berlin Airlift's C-97 (just waiting on paperwork to begin flight testing)... maybe in its new ownership, the F2G "Race 57" will make a return to KOSH this year (the current owner had one of their Mustangs at Oshkosh a couple years ago). Anyone know if the TSA/Beck P-51A might be finished/flying this year? I always enjoy coming to see the "regulars" as well.

If Paul Ehlen's P-51 "Sierra Sue II" and Cavanaugh's P-51 "The Brat III" are both in attendance again this year, like 2015, perhaps some magazine publisher/photographer would find it worthwhile to finally get these two in the air together for some photowork/story (both combat-vets, both painted in their original markings, and both served in the same original Fighter Group, operating from the same forward airbases at the same time period late in the war).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:33 pm 
WHERE have you seen that the Lewis A-20 is CONFIRMED for Oshkosh this year?

And VERY unlikely that the C-97 wil be there. Even if they finally get approval to fly it from Floyd Bennett Field to its planned "base" in NJ or PA, I think it will be there for an extended time before going on the air show circuit. As much as I would love to see it at Oshkosh this year, I think that 2018 is a lot more likely.

Hope for a big and varied warbird turnout at EAA AirVenture this year and I hope perhaps that the 4-ship F-86 Sabre formation that did not happen last year MAY be in the cards this year. And with Greg Colyer and an Ace Maker T-33 coming, perhaps we will get a 4-ship T-33 formation for the first time in about 3 years or so.

:D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Jim, sometimes you just gotta make sure you read all of the posts in the thread (note kalamazookid's post & link, just a few posts back, just above yours). ; )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:27 pm 
JohnTerrell wrote:
Jim, sometimes you just gotta make sure you read all of the posts in the thread (note kalamazookid's post & link, just a few posts back, just above yours). ; )

John,

I know what you are saying but I could see nothing in Kalamazookid's link to the EAA page that said anything about the A-20....

Not to say I couldn't have missed something, but just would like to see something more than just his say so.

:wink:

If you can point me to the right information, I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 pm 
KiwiZac

Just click the arrow on the right of the photo to scroll through to it, Jim:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 pm 
Thanks Zac!

Sometimes we don't see what's right in front of us!

:o

Good to see the A-20 as confirmed. Looking forward to more additions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The postings on the Airventure site are sometimes confusing. I'm never sure if they're intended as "this is what you might see!" or "this is indeed what is coming!" It would be easier if they just listed the attractions in the article instead of making you click through the Flickr album. I'm sure there's a reason they do it that way though.

I hear there may be a new civilian F-5 in attendance this year. I also wonder if Paul Ehlen might bring his newly-acquired TBM. Believe that one used to be owned by Wally Fisk/Amjet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:22 pm 
kalamazookid wrote:
The postings on the Airventure site are sometimes confusing. I'm never sure if they're intended as "this is what you might see!" or "this is indeed what is coming!" It would be easier if they just listed the attractions in the article instead of making you click through the Flickr album. I'm sure there's a reason they do it that way though.

I hear there may be a new civilian F-5 in attendance this year. I also wonder if Paul Ehlen might bring his newly-acquired TBM. Believe that one used to be owned by Wally Fisk/Amjet.

Thanks, Matt!

It would be great to see a new civilian F-5 in the classic vintage jet grouping this year!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

JohnTerrell wrote:
My hopefuls (that have and have not been mentioned)... Texas Flying Legends' P-51C "Lope's Hope III" (it should be there, as I understand), TFL's Bearcat, Reilly's XP-82, Allied Fighter's P-47D "Dottie Mae" (seems as though it could be ready to fly just about any week now?), Collings' Spitfire IX (already confirmed), Lewis' A-20 Havoc (already confirmed), Dixie Wing's P-63 (already confirmed), Slattery SBD, Slattery P-38F, Friedkin's P-51D "Frenesi", Fagen's new SNJ, Paul Ehlen's F4U-4, VWoC's Spitfire IX, B-29 "FIFI" (already confirmed), B-29 "Doc" (all but confirmed it seems), Berlin Airlift's C-97 (just waiting on paperwork to begin flight testing)... maybe in its new ownership, the F2G "Race 57" will make a return to KOSH this year (the current owner had one of their Mustangs at Oshkosh a couple years ago). Anyone know if the TSA/Beck P-51A might be finished/flying this year? I always enjoy coming to see the "regulars" as well.

If Paul Ehlen's P-51 "Sierra Sue II" and Cavanaugh's P-51 "The Brat III" are both in attendance again this year, like 2015, perhaps some magazine publisher/photographer would find it worthwhile to finally get these two in the air together for some photowork/story (both combat-vets, both painted in their original markings, and both served in the same original Fighter Group, operating from the same forward airbases at the same time period late in the war).

Has Slattery's P-38n flown yet? I have kind of lost track

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pat Carry wrote:
Has Slattery's P-38n flown yet? I have kind of lost track

Yes, Pat...multiple flights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next