Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

The Unofficial Oshkosh 2017 Thread

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I know it's early to start thinking about next year's Oshkosh but I'm very much in the planning process of next year's event and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how to save money as well as see as much as possible. I've already told myself there's just no chance I'll see absolutely everything but you have to hope!

Any particular ideas as to what might just make the show too? 'Doc'? XP-82? Anything else hidden away that could appear at Osh? I'd also imagine the 70th anniversary of the USAF may be a big theme for the show as well?

Thanks all!

Re: The Unofficial Oshkosh 2017 Thread

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:54 pm

After thinking I might have a year off in 2017, I changed my mind and have the flights hotel and car booked. I too am looking forward to seeing what might turn up.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:01 pm

USN Blue Angels confirmed.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhdpp9m4dM

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:02 am

Doc should be a given
XP-82 - I am hoping, but sort of having my doubts as that will take a long time to get pilots certified since it is a difficult plane to fly and who is around to get it certified
A-20 will hopefully make it this time around
C-97 from that Berlin Airlift group - wonder if that will be up and running by then
Connie - isn't the Columbine Connie about ready to go?

French jet team Patrouille De France is touring the U.S. this year - confirmed at Sun N Fun so far, would be a real shock if they missed OSH

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:49 am

Boeing666 wrote:Connie - isn't the Columbine Connie about ready to go?

French jet team Patrouille De France is touring the U.S. this year - confirmed at Sun N Fun so far, would be a real shock if they missed OSH

The Columbine Connie is undergoing a 2-3 year restoration.

Patrouille De France are only performing two US shows Sun n Fun April 4, Melbourne, FL airshow April 1-2 with a possible flyover/airshow in Kansas City April 6. They have a full schedule in France May-Oct. http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2016/patroui ... tentative/

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:31 am

T-33 'Ace Maker' down to attend, though I don't think he's performing his aerobatic routine.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 am

An initial list of performers has been released, including acts such as Sean. D. Tucker, the Aeroshell team, Patty Wagstaff and Matt Younkin.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:45 pm

The Ripper wrote:An initial list of performers has been released, including acts such as Sean. D. Tucker, the Aeroshell team, Patty Wagstaff and Matt Younkin.

Doubt if too many warbird enthusiasts get very excited about most of the performers on that list. As usual the afternoon air shows at Oshkosh will have too many civilian non-warbird aerobatic performers on the schedule for my taste.

Look forward to hearing what unique warbirds and other unique aircraft types may end up on the list to visit EAA AirVenture next summer.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:41 pm

It's not impossible that the "Columbine Connie" could be there. I've seen their shop and the size and scope of people they have working there is amazing. It flew in, remember?

The XP-82. If I had to bet I would wager that it won't make it. They've done an incredible job but the complexity of the aircraft, it's myriad of systems unique to the P-82 series, and then parts that looked serviceable or new but somehow aren't or don't perform. I just think their squawk list is going to be three or four times longer than if you were building up a couple Mustangs or Spitifres. Not a knock on the guys or the project, it's just been a massive undertaking.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Kudos to the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation for posting their 2017 schedule and committing to OSH.

Perhaps the immense shame that now burns within will move others to update their calendars also. :lol:

FYI: Sheboygan event is reporting attendance by the Trojan Horsemen, as well as a B-25 and Skyraider (but doesn't specify which ones).

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Dan K wrote:Kudos to the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation for posting their 2017 schedule and committing to OSH.

Perhaps the immense shame that now burns within will move others to update their calendars also. :lol:

FYI: Sheboygan event is reporting attendance by the Trojan Horsemen, as well as a B-25 and Skyraider (but doesn't specify which ones).

Most of the info on the Sheboygan show is the same as it was last year. From what I understand, it's very similar in scope every year. The Skyraider "Naked Fanny" has been a participant the last two years, as has B-25 "Panchito." I would expect the usual gaggle of T-28s and T-34s as well. I might be checking that one out this year.

Anyone know if Heavy Bombers Weekend in Janesville/Madison is on for next year? I went the last two years and really enjoyed it. A nice preview of some of the Oshkosh heavies without the crowds and with easy access to start-ups, taxying views, etc. Seems that the website has been taken down and the Facebook page is also no longer active. I'm hoping they are just rebranding or in the process of launching new pages. I'd hate to see that event go by the wayside as it was very good, but they may not have drawn the crowds necessary to sustain it.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 pm

kalamazookid wrote:
Dan K wrote:
Most of the info on the Sheboygan show is the same as it was last year. From what I understand, it's very similar in scope every year. The Skyraider "Naked Fanny" has been a participant the last two years, as has B-25 "Panchito." I would expect the usual gaggle of T-28s and T-34s as well. I might be checking that one out this year.

You're most-likely correct on all counts, Matt. Sheboygan will probably remain a "jet blast" event for the Classic Jets Aircraft Association that same weekend...a little frosting on your cupcake if you decide to attend.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:28 am

marine air wrote:It's not impossible that the "Columbine Connie" could be there. I've seen their shop and the size and scope of people they have working there is amazing. It flew in, remember?

The XP-82. If I had to bet I would wager that it won't make it. They've done an incredible job but the complexity of the aircraft, it's myriad of systems unique to the P-82 series, and then parts that looked serviceable or new but somehow aren't or don't perform. I just think their squawk list is going to be three or four times longer than if you were building up a couple Mustangs or Spitifres. Not a knock on the guys or the project, it's just been a massive undertaking.

VERY unlikely that the Columbine II Connie could be at Oshkosh before the 2018 show. As BK mentioned above and as said by Ralph Pettersen in the article on his visit to the Dynamic Aviation facility in the latest issue of "Air Classics" magazine, it is in the process of undergoing a 2-3 year restoration.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:36 am

With Greg Colyer planning to bring an Ace Maker T-33 to Oshkosh in July, I am hoping it will be a great year for T-33's and hopefully we can get a 4-ship T-Bird formation for the first time in about 3 years or so.

And speaking of classic vintage jets, hopefully 2017 will have the F-86A finally make it and possibly the elusive 4-ship Sabre formation will happen!

Would be perfect for the 70th Anniversary of the USAF.

:D
Post a reply