Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: "This D*mn Navy" ...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very well worth following ... and a good day to announce it going live. Many Thx to Burl Burlingame.

http://thisdamnnavy.com/

Post subject: Re: "This D*mn Navy" ...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

This'll be interesting, thanx Mark!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:17 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

It must be cool, it's blocked by my IT department :roll:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nothing really good yet, Scott. Day to day life while training, and a bit of personal time are entered into the new diary one day at a time, beginning 3 days ago...Just shy of a month before December 7, 1941. The entries are revealed daily on our calendar sync-ed with his 1941 calendar. We know what's coming, but he doesn't...tho we have an idea he sees what's up, as he's trying to get to some action.
Todays entry: November 13, 2016,

"Nov. 13, 1941 (Thursday)
New York

After no sleep went to Rockefeller Center to see about going to China — looks more hopeless all the time unless I can get out of this damned squadron. They can’t take anyone, out of the continental U.S., on January 1st. Got Marie an order on Bonwits and sent Claire McCahey some records — Liszt’s “Les Preludes” and Ravel’s “Valse” — the latter by “Papa” Monteux and the S.F. Symphony — bravo! Flew back to Norfolk — sadly! Found boots and junk for Iceland had come from Sears. Flew an excellent, tight formation most of the way back."

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:51 am 

Thanks for posting. Will be very interested in seeing what happens as we go forward!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:27 pm 

Thanks for the link.

His going to see the AVG recruiters on the 13th is neat. I recall reading somewhere (Daniel Ford's book, I think) that Chennault wasn't happy that he was sent a few bomber and transport pilots when he only wanted Pursuit guys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone following this? Really neat reading.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:04 pm 

It is good reading, albeit brief. Thanks for the reminder. I had followed for a bit then was distracted by work. Good to catch up again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm 

bump

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:28 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the reminder Pjpahs! My laptop is down and I didn't have this bookmarked on the "Big" computer, where I've spent endless monotony trying decide on a new TV..to 4K or not..arggghhh!

I'm sure envious of his constitution. A show with a date...drinks and a burger afterwards...on to the Stork Club, more drinks..tamales for breakfast at Reubens and then bed by 3:30am. Gawd, I need a Pepsid with Picot chaser just at the thought. Interesting to see the country preparing for a war footing. Blackouts, greyed passenger liners, drawn shades on trains and soon heading west with the squadron. He writes well, looking forward to see what his sketches are like..

DBF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 am 

airnutz wrote:
Thanks for the reminder Pjpahs! My laptop is down and I didn't have this bookmarked on the "Big" computer, where I've spent endless monotony trying decide on a new TV..to 4K or not..arggghhh!

I'm sure envious of his constitution. A show with a date...drinks and a burger afterwards...on to the Stork Club, more drinks..tamales for breakfast at Reubens and then bed by 3:30am. Gawd, I need a Pepsid with Picot chaser just at the thought. Interesting to see the country preparing for a war footing. Blackouts, greyed passenger liners, drawn shades on trains and soon heading west with the squadron. He writes well, looking forward to see what his sketches are like..

I thought the same thing. I also thought, "this guy knows how to have a good time" and "I guess being 20 was as fun in 1941 as it was in..."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:43 pm 

He shipped out on Dec. 18 at 2000 hr. The Dec 20 . diary talks that if this ship is torpedoed there wouldn't be a trace left," A floating airplane bomb". Looked up SS President Polk and it tells of this operation and what it was carrying. It delivered to Brisbane , Australia, 55 P-40E, 4 C53, 55pilots , 20 million .30 cal. ammunition, 447000 .50 cal. , 30000 3 in. AA rounds, 5000 75mm , 5 carloads of torpedoes and 615000 lbs. rations. Then went to other ports to deliver more stuff. I hope I got the numbers right, according to wiki. Still a lot of stuff and if it was torpedoed it would really light up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's funny, I just realized that I can always recognize an MAM post because it always ends in an ellipsis.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:19 am 

pjpahs wrote:
He shipped out on Dec. 18 at 2000 hr. The Dec 20 . diary talks that if this ship is torpedoed there wouldn't be a trace left," A floating airplane bomb". Looked up SS President Polk and it tells of this operation and what it was carrying. It delivered to Brisbane , Australia, 55 P-40E, 4 C53, 55pilots , 20 million .30 cal. ammunition, 447000 .50 cal. , 30000 3 in. AA rounds, 5000 75mm , 5 carloads of torpedoes and 615000 lbs. rations. Then went to other ports to deliver more stuff. I hope I got the numbers right, according to wiki. Still a lot of stuff and if it was torpedoed it would really light up.

Holy smokes! That's a lot of stuff.

Trying to visualize just 20 million rounds of .30 cal. by itself is hard, much less the other stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:59 am 

bump