Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: T-41A Quick Prep
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:46 am 

So while getting ready for Sun N Fun, I start digging for documents and getting the plane ready, and I thought I would update the project.

After running into a few brick walls while trying to get FAST certification in the T-41, I realized maybe FAST was not really the avenue for what I was trying to accomplish. Although the T-41A is a warbird by definition, I guess it is so far down the totem pole no one wants to be seen with it (kind of like riding a moped.....it's fun but...... :wink: )
I knew from experience the performance difference and dissimilar aircraft flying was a huge problem. I was hoping to find some L birds to get qualified with, but the only folks remotely interested in my area had hot rods like upgraded T-34/CJ/YAK products. I realized that a lot of the more expensive warbirds were subject to more maintenance, they were further apart meaning getting them together was a problem, and the folks that flew them were rightfully pretty busy making the money to support their birds. I even considered trading in the T-41 for one of the Red Star options, but I realized it was going to be hard explaining flying a communist star over a Cold War veteran's funeral. Also, it was going to be hard to get folks together for regular training. I started looking for a second T-41A to get outfitted so I would always have a formation partner but..........good luck with that! Plus the wife was incredulous that I would consider a second airplane!!! The cost!
Then an odd and sacrilegious thought crossed my mind:
What if I crossed the streams? Went to the dark side? Committed the ultimate taboo?

Last edited by turninggrey on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:49 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:59 am 

Heretic! I know. Anyway we have gotten a couple older vets together and we fly funerals for the Legion, VFW, Amvets etc as well as any small venue that has a national anthem ceremony and wants a free flyover that brings attention to veterans causes. I realize the Cessna 150 is not a warbird and the T-41A barely qualifies.......BUT.....the T-41 is a warbird, and it is back in the business of serving the military by serving it's veterans. It is a pretty good feeling. Our website has a "burial at sea" that a vet asked for Here is our website:

https://veteranstributeflight.com/

Last edited by turninggrey on Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 am, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:05 pm 

Back when I had a C-150, I considered painting it like the C-150s used by Bolivia to train their pilots.

Lance Jones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 pm 

Pogmusic wrote:
Back when I had a C-150, I considered painting it like the C-150s used by Bolivia to train their pilots.

Yeah. I thought long and hard about how to do this, and no matter what I did, I knew I would touch a third rail with many, but I thought taking a "whimsical" stab at honoring the 1930's Stearmans would be a way to show the roundel (on the 150) with the stars and bars (on the T-41) to the crowd who otherwise would not have had a flyover for their loved one. It added the Navy to the lineup. I would like to link up with an Army and Marine L-bird to complete the mix, but I am getting pretty good results as it is. We are flying for events about twice a month and having fun training.
In an interesting note, George Nolly, An ex Vietnam O2 FAC/F4 Linebacker 1&2 alum vet (With copious amounts of other aviation accomplishments) and the author of numerous books including the Hamfist series, contacted me to tell me he flew my T-41 at UPT in 1969. He was kind enough to send me a picture of his logbook with his time in the airplane.

George loves aviation and has a great collection of blog info and podcasts on aviation. Give it a look if you need an aviation fix!!
http://readyfortakeoffpodcast.com/category/podcasts/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I love it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:16 am 

So I got a call out of the blue about a photo shoot. I still am not sure what it was for, but here are some pics:

Last edited by turninggrey on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Turninggrey

I just happened upon this thread, so love what you do for veteran's funerals.

You are doing something great.
In my eyes, your T-41 doing a flyover sure beats a Mustang in a hangar.

Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:34 am 

So I know I am straining the "Warbird" taboos by tying two non warbirds to the lowest echelon warbird, but here is the 3rd addition to just to make that "fingernails on the chalkboard" noise:

Its the Army addition.

Last edited by turninggrey on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

HOW DARE YOU!!!!......

......Have so much fun :D
Good times and good for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:43 pm 

Getting back to the T-41 family, here is a picture of the US Army T-41Bs on the flight line (I believe) at Ft Rucker.

Here are some T-41D's flying with the ROKAF:

Turkey:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:34 pm 

Oh My! It's going to turn into a 4 ship!

http://www.pazmany.com/wp/pdf/Loeffler_Taiwan_PL-1.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I always thought it would be fun to take a 1964-5 Cessna 150D-E, the only years with the straight tail and "omni vision" (aka rear window) fuselage and do it up in military makings.
Label it a O-1H or J...you'd probably convince a few folks it was real.

Another Cessna warbird option...
In 1961, Canada's Army bought four Cessna 182Ds.
The '61s, along with the 1960 182Cs, were the only years the 182s had swept tails and razorback fuselages.
They were NMF with ARMY titles and Canadian roundels.
They looked sharp.
Because they were sold to a military, the DoD called them L-19Ls.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

John: Don't forget that the C-170, C-180 and C-185 were flown by various air forces around the world, with 24 of them using -185's

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cvairwerks wrote:
John: Don't forget that the C-170, C-180 and C-185 were flown by various air forces around the world, with 24 of them using -185's

You're right. I figured the U-17s were pretty well documented, I was hoping one of our Canadian friends might get interested in a 182.
And an old 182 is a lot more affordable (to buy and fly) than a 180-185. :D

Another civil type turned warbird option is a bit more pricey...a Helio Courier painted as a U-10.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:16 pm 

Forgot to post the T-41A back doing duty with the military. Here is the night drop at Sun N Fun 2023 with the USSOCOM Para-Commandos.
https://youtu.be/kfE92V5LWpg?si=PQv7EShbm3FZZh_V

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next