Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:18 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just in case you need proof that some people have no shame..............

Theft strikes blow to Yorktown

Museum says medals have sentimental value

BY PHILLIP CASTON
Of The Post and Courier Staff
MOUNT PLEASANT--Tourists visiting the Yorktown aircraft carrier at Patriots Point are encouraged to take home a variety of souvenirs to remember their visit.

Sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning, a thief took some collectibles that aren't offered in the gift shop -- seven Medals of Honor.

The Medals of Honor were stolen from the Yorktown's Medal of Honor museum at Patriots Point, and the Mount Pleasant Police Department and FBI are asking for the public's help in finding them. The medals, some of which were donated by widows of the honored servicemen, are thought to have been stolen sometime between 7:30 p.m. Sunday and 7:30 a.m. Monday, according to police.

David Burnette, executive director of Patriots Point, said the theft is a "disgusting action considering what it takes to receive a Medal of Honor. ... Whoever took them doesn't realize how important it is to have them here and on display.

"They are too emotionally and philosophically important."

One of the medals dates back to the Civil War, the first military conflict in which the Medal of Honor was awarded.

About 7:30 a.m. Monday, a custodian noticed the large glass case that held the medals had been broken into and that the medals were missing, according to Burnette. The custodian alerted museum officials who called police.

The museum was closed at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, but police and museum officials aren't ruling out the possibility that the theft occurred during operating hours. The Yorktown receives about 1,500 to 2,000 visitors on Sundays in the summer.

"It's hard to believe no one would have reported them missing, though, during normal hours," Burnette said.

The cover of the display case in the museum was a tacked-down glass lid. Whoever stole the medals managed to jar the lid, breaking off a triangular piece of glass, Burnette said. After that, the thief could reach inside easily and steal the medals.

Although the museum, which highlights the history and recipients of the Medal of Honor, closed at 7:30 p.m., the museum door was not secured by the two security guards on duty, according to police.

Police and the FBI are unsure why the door was left unlocked, according to Lt. Shawn Livingston. Burnette said there is a possibility that a locking mechanism on the door was not secured properly.

There are several layers of security in place at the Yorktown, Burnette said. There were no overnight campers staying on the premises. Burnette doesn't rule out the possibility that someone hid onboard until after closing.

"It's a very big ship," he said.

The FBI is investigating because attempting to sell a Medal of Honor is a federal offense, Livingston said. Because of the sentimental value of the medals, there is a presumption of interstate transportation, according to Agent Steve Grimaldi of the FBI.

So far, officials have no suspects. Police and the FBI are monitoring online auction sites such as eBay and notifying area antique dealers, Livingston said. Police are considering the possibility that the theft was an inside job.

"We haven't ruled anything out internally or externally," Livingston said.

The main focus of the investigation, according to Livingston and Grimaldi, is the recovery of the medals. Officials are appealing to the public to keep their eyes open for the medals.

"Certainly, we would like to appeal to anyone's sense of patriotism," Livingston said. "I'm not sure the medals have a lot of monetary value, but their sentimental value is priceless."

"The men who received these medals were awarded for their sacrifices," Burnette said. "They went into situations where they assumed they were going to die. Those men deserve to be honored here."

Post subject: Yorktown
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:18 am 

What a shame! Lets see if they can get away with trying to sell those! Hope not! :shock:

Now Brad... you know it wasnt me... I was still stuck in ATL because of weather... coming home the day AFTER I was on the Yorktown! :)

Post subject: Stolen Honor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Nothing lower in the scale of human depravation, than to steal HONOR. These medals were paid for with blood and suffering and represent the highest award for selfishness and sacrifice that our country awards to those highly deserving them.

Since it is a crime to wear this medal without having earned it, and it is also against the law to own a legitimate medal acquired through illegal means, let's hope that the authorities will catch those responsible for this outrage.

Shame on those who would buy a medal for a collection, knowing whre it is coming from (remember, these medals are numbered and can be tracked). Shame on the low life who stops at nothing. Also, shame on the museum for not having secured these important pieces in a more thorough manner. They were entrusted with the safekeeping of the medals, and they failed....

Just my two centavos worth...

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:39 am 

I would doubt if anyone in the US will attempt to buy the medal, knowing them to be jail bait. And they are worth maybe around 4k$ each in the european market. pittiance compared to some of the british gongery values.

This could be a commissioned job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

After talking to you on the phone Dan, and you being in such a hurry to leave Charleston the next day, I had you pegged as a suspect!!

I was supposed to fly to South America last night but we ended up with a 24hr delay because my aircraft commander split his head open while looking in the wheel well. During the drive to the base, the talk radio programs and local news stations were asking serious questions about the security of the other stuff on the Yorktown. They want to know all about the alarm systems or lack thereof. People in this town are pretty mad about the whole deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:33 pm 

It's BEAR SEASON; we'll use'm for bear bait!

Post subject: bear season
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:38 pm 

Nup, too fast, fish bait might be a more fitting use and better deterent to any othersw thinking of similarly low crimes.

Post subject: bear bait
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:22 pm 

Yeah okay, but wouldn't a male bear be more fun to watch?

althoughI still like the idea of using just little bits of them time after time after time to show them what it'd be like being stuck in such a gruesome situation for so long and having to make the best of it.

Post subject: bear habits
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:41 pm 

I am almost completely in the dark regards bear habits since the only thinks which come close to that here are koalas and they are nothing like your bears.
afterall they only eat eucalyptus leaves, they do bite and scratch though! but are only the size of an overgrown teddy bear so not that much of a worry.

Post subject: Re: bear habits
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:57 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Jeff wrote:
I am almost completely in the dark regards bear habits since the only thinks which come close to that here are koalas and they are nothing like your bears.
afterall they only eat eucalyptus leaves, they do bite and scratch though! but are only the size of an overgrown teddy bear so not that much of a worry.

The things you can learn on this board! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:53 pm 

OKAY, OKAY, we'll compromise! To paraphrase Tim Sample(Maine humorist), "We'll use them for Lobstah(Maine lobstah being of the crustation(sp) family with much LARGER CLAWS then the Gulf coast kind. And they have a REAL ATTITUDE!) bait. I heya that them MAINE lobstah will latch right on to the rottenest of bait. Then after we pull'em up and clean off the catch, WE'LL SET'UM AGAIN! " Nuff Said.