Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN 2017

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 pm

The Bearcat did a pretty good aerobatic show on Friday. So did a Pitts, a Great Lakes, and a couple of Mustangs.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 am

There was also a different L-39 and an L-29 on the field on Friday that were nowhere to be seen on Saturday. Seems odd to have some aircraft perform on Friday that weren't ultimately part of the show.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:36 am

Jerry O'Neill wrote:A question for those who were there on Saturday; I was just wondering if they incorporated the Airborne drop into the battle
scenario or did they just perform a drop and not engage in a battle?
Thanks.
Jerry

They dropped on the far end of the bean field and did not participate in the battle.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm

A couple from Sunday's show: Full album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8eWA6D

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:11 pm

Nice shots, no Petie on Monday. Gentleman Jim flew cover with Georgie's Gal and Yankee Warrior.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

OK, I figured it out. All the issues with Thunder this year are totally my fault. I didn't wear my official airshow shirt. I've worn the same orange shirt to Thunder and pretty much every other airshow for the past 15 years or so. But it's gotten rather beat up, so this year I wore a new shirt. Next time I'll be sure to revert back to Old Orange, and everything should be fine. 8)

SN

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:23 pm

I had a blast.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:45 pm

Too Early?

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

August 25th and 26th - 2018

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:22 am

I can't complain, I got a free ticket and parking this year. The last couple years the highlight for me is arrivals day when you see the static displays come in like the A400, the RCAF CC-130 and CC-142. It was really strange, hardly anything arrived all morning on Friday before the practice. Usually there is a rush between 10-12 of arrivals and another around 4pm after they open the field back up for arrivals. Might have been 4-5 aircraft that came in before they closed the field but it seemed like the busiest time was between 5-6pm with the A400, 3 C-47s a couple Mustangs, a skyraider, the CC-142. I guess the Super Hornets didn't arrive until Sunday because they weren't there Saturday. The C-46 arrived during the show Saturday bit didn't fly. I still haven't gotten Tinker Belle flying, but at least she showed up this year when she canceled out in previous years. I agree prices have gone up and quality down, but I can't say much since I didn't pay this year. My favorite TOM years were 2005 and 2010 with the EIGHT B-17s plus B-24s, 2009 with the RAF aircraft, F-4 and Skyraiders. 2011 with the Navy. Despite the decline since 2011, I would have to say 2015 was a good year with Fifi, a couple B-17s, the JU-52, the PB4Y (first time I seen one fly) Lancaster, A-26 a couple new B-25s I never seen. I know they need to bring Thunderbirds or Blue Angels to draw the crowds, but it seems like 2016 and 2017 we have moved away from the warbirds. This year only one jet flew (F-86) besides the Blue Angels. The C-47 parachute drop was the highlight of this year although cool to see the P-40B. I wish the show could go back to early August like in the old days when it could grab stuff after Oshkosh. This year Oshkosh had good stuff like several B-25s for the Doolittle Raiders 75th anniversary, the A-20, two B-29s, three P-63s and a P-39, 3 F-86s, that oddball YL-15, B-17 Madras Maiden. That would have been great, but to be honest most of the people in the crowd this year couldn't tell you the difference between a P-51 and a P-38. It seemed to be the kind of crowd that would get more excited by the Shockwave Jet truck more than anything else.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 am

kennsmithf2g wrote:Image

those are great shots, I see Tico Belle finally did make it from Titusville Florida Valiant Air Command. It didn't come up Friday due to the remnants of Hurricane Harvey going through Kentucky and it didn't come up Saturday to my knowledge. At least you got the C-47s in the sun, it clouded up Saturday when the C-47s went up and I had to throw away most of my shots because they just looked like silhouettes. I went to Cleveland on Sunday. I am wishing I had gone to Thunder on Monday now

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:33 am

I'm told more warbirds next year.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm

that's great to hear Tom.

Would love to see a heavy bomber year again centered around Doc and at least one B-24.

Also would be cool to do a sort of an American version of RIAT

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm

I'd love to get Diamond Lil back. The last time I saw her in person was at Thunder...in 2005! She's changed just a bit since then...

SN

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Steve Nelson wrote:I'd love to get Diamond Lil back. The last time I saw her in person was at Thunder...in 2005! She's changed just a bit since then...

SN

She came in 2014. I caught a ride on her then. Plus she was at Thunder in 2008 as "Ol 927"
Post a reply