Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:41 pm 

The B-17 flew around giving rides. It flew down the crowd line several times in the morning on Saturday before 1:00.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:50 pm 

Awesome shots, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Those describing the show as lackluster are spot on. Not much going on in the air at Thunder Over Michigan today. The flying portion of the show could only be described as sparse. Of the five airshows I've attended this year, this was the most expensive daily ticket for both the least interesting and shortest flying program I've seen this summer. When you factor in all the lulls with nothing in the air, I doubt there was an hour and a half of actual flying before the Blues took the air. Other than the pass to check the wind and the pass where the C-47s would have dropped paratroopers if the wind hadn't been an issue, the C-47s made one fly-by. One. For the "theme" aircraft. Perhaps there were more planned and that couldn't be done with the re-enactors still on board, in which case there's not much that could have been done about that. I hope there were more fly-by's Saturday or will be for those attending tomorrow.

The P-40 didn't fly due to a mechanical issue today, so that may have contributed a bit to the lulls, but it honestly wouldn't have changed my thoughts on the flying program this year. It left a lot to be desired, especially for the price. The C-46 also had to turn back from its flight to a mechanical issue - not the show's fault, those things just happen. There was plenty on the field for a fuller flying program though. The same F-86 flew a nice solo demo at Selfridge two weeks ago, or any airshow passes from the Yankee B-17 or C-47 would have been appreciated (i.e. not just returning from a ride flight). For those who like to argue with the baseball game/cost analogy, this was like paying for nine innings and getting five with a star player or two sitting on the bench.

On the bright side, seeing the P-40B was fantastic. I never thought I'd get to see one in person. The fact that it didn't fly wasn't a huge disappointment- old airplanes break sometimes, and that's just the way it goes. The P-51D "Cripes A'Mighty" was a nice surprise on static. I had forgotten just how authentic of a restoration that was. Major credit to the Skyraider pilot as well - I think that was the first time I've ever seen a prop-driven warbird pulling wingtip vapor. The P-51C demo by Doug Rozendaal was also a nice display. The YAM Connie was impressive to see on static display. Will be great to see indoors and repainted in the future.

I'll throw a few of my static shots here since there hasn't been much posted yet. I'm sure those who take aerial photos will have better shots to contribute.

ImageIMG_0033 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0037 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0040 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0047 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0077 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0102 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0134 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0145 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0156 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

The highlight of the re-enactment was this rare appearance by the period Nissankampfwagen. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a pic of the rare Golfkartenkraftrad.

ImageIMG_0181 by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:42 pm 

Ouch!
I'll be going to my first ToM tomorrow, I usually can't get the time off from work, since it's so close to Oshkosh. Whether it is a great show or not, I'll see more warbirds tomorrow than I did today, so it'll be fine. A friend of my dads said that he regretted ever going to Oshkosh, as it ruined all other airshows for him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looks like I picked the wrong day to go. I went today (Sunday) and the two aircraft I specifically wanted to see fly...didn't. The P-40 apparently developed cooling system problems after yesterday's performance (there was a big puddle of coolant underneath the plane this morning) and the C-46 started up, taxied out, then taxied back and shut down. One of the crew said they suspected a mag issue. Then to top it off, the mass paratroop drop was scrubbed due to high winds. Mind you, I'm not blaming anyone here..warbirds occasionally break and the weather certainly is out of anyone's control. We don't want anyone flying (or jumping out of perfectly good airplanes) unless it can be done safely. There's absolutely no reason or excuse to take unnecessary risks. I'm just kicking myself for not going on Saturday.

I also have to agree that I suffered a bit of "sticker shock" when I arrived. I didn't buy advance tickets..didn't even look at the price (I know..caveat emptor.) When they told me at the gate it was 20 bucks for parking and another 40 for the show, I was definitely a bit taken aback..particularly with the somewhat anemic lineup of warbirds compared to past years. But then maybe I'm just getting old. Also, I notice they seem to be going back to the trend that was all the rage at airshows back in the 90s..taking up most of the show line with "pay per view" seating, and leaving us lawn chair folks crammed into relatively small sections on the ends. I'm hoping maybe this was just an "off year," and next year's show will be back to the big warbird extravaganza we've all come to know and love.

On the plus side, it was great to see Tim Savage's A-26 recovered from last year's "faceplant" at Oshkosh. Kinda cool to see six Goonie Birds in the air at once..I think that's the most I've ever seen in one place. Nice to see the YAM's new Connie..she's a bit rough, but I'm sure they'll get her spiffed up. While not a "warbird" per se, it was also neat to see an A-400M in person..what an awesome beast! As usual I took a ton of pics, but none of my flying shots are really worth posting. I think I need to get a better telephoto lens.

Here's the P-40, with the aforementioned coolant leak..

SN

Last edited by Steve Nelson on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

And a few more..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

mazdaP5 wrote:
Ouch!
I'll be going to my first ToM tomorrow, I usually can't get the time off from work, since it's so close to Oshkosh. Whether it is a great show or not, I'll see more warbirds tomorrow than I did today, so it'll be fine. A friend of my dads said that he regretted ever going to Oshkosh, as it ruined all other airshows for him.

I've actually found that since I began going to Oshkosh that I appreciate the smaller shows a lot more. The cornfield warbird shows are still my favorite because they offer the best access to aircraft and the best views of start-ups, taxying and takeoffs.

Thunder wasn't a bad show this year, it was just outrageously overpriced for what it was. I went to five airshows this year. This was the most expensive daily ticket for the shortest flying program. That doesn't add up. Hopefully, it was just an "off" year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

kalamazookid wrote:
mazdaP5 wrote:
Ouch!

I've actually found that since I began going to Oshkosh that I appreciate the smaller shows a lot more. The cornfield warbird shows are still my favorite because they offer the best access to aircraft and the best views of start-ups, taxying and takeoffs.

Thunder wasn't a bad show this year, it was just outrageously overpriced for what it was (this was my 13th ToM, so I know what to expect there). I went to five airshows this year. This was the most expensive daily ticket for the shortest flying program. That doesn't add up. Hopefully, it was just an "off" year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm 

Nice pics.
I bought a ticket for support of the shows I love, but I prefer watching from outside the base, and thats what I did the past 4 days - So I am a paying freeloader I guess.
Last year [actually 2 years ago last time the Blues were here] they were letting people watch the show from a field right at the end of the runway on the Tyler side [not Ecorse].
$20 a car, view of the flying show wasn't the best but great takeoffs and landings. I used that option for 2 practice days and 2 show days, plus bought a ticket I didn't use. I think that was a great option for people who don't have a whole lot of $$ to blow, and maybe enjoy grilling hot dogs and letting the kids run around playing with a ball while they watch the show instead of the controlled environment inside the gates.
This year, wasn't an option. I did go to that spot Thur and Fri, Sat a rather gruff lady told me nope, against FAA rules, no parking there. I said I was there the past 2 days she said, well I don't know what to tell ya, keep moving.

I did keep moving in the other direction and went to plan B, a spot off Michigan and Denton rds and the view from there was great, a bit hemmed in by trees it may be. So i think they jacked themselves out of a few $$ by closing this spot off in the hopes of driving them into the gates, the FAA thing was a line of bull.

I think the shows without a premium jet act are actually a bit better, with the Blues or Tbirds they tend to base the show off of that and not much more. But no doubt they do draw the crowds which is what show organizers want and need ,,, I wish them success in future shows, can't help but feel the ball was dropped a bit this year and hope they learn from this and listen to the gripes, else they may not have many return paying viewers in years to come.

As far as lack of participation of Yankee aircraft at their own home base, does seem a bit odd but I guess thats their call and they may have reasons [outside of the obvious, they want a quick turn around for more customers instead of doing non profitable passes for the crowd]] that we are unaware of.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:04 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm 

Nice pics Steve! Glad I didn't just miss the P-40 with the wife and kids in tow. Not "glad" about the coolant issue. Hope it's an easy fix. I did see it come in on Friday while doing chair set-ups, so guess that counts as seeing her in the air. Could have sworn I saw the C-46 in the air, but I must have been mistaken. Seems like quite a few aircraft "fell off the roster" at the last minute. Going by the list posted on the website, I counted 10 total (P-3, E-2, 2x TBM's, 2x A-10 flyby, OH ANG C-130 (RCAF substituted, 2x C-53 displays, and I only saw 1 of the 2 planned PT-17's). I think being two weeks after Selfridge didn't help this year as far as participants went. Hope next year plays out better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thank you to all of those who have shared your photos!

It is always great to see photos of "Cripes A' Mighty (IV)". I'd imagine that it was Doug Rozendaal who flew the aircraft into TOM, as I recall seeing him flying the aircraft earlier this summer too. That aircraft is one of those that really got me interested in authentic warbird/Mustang restorations back when it was completed in 2002. Back then, it was fully outfitted with the armor plate/headrest, fuselage fuel tank, WWII-era radios and battery installation, etc. - even without those items today, it is still among the more authentic Mustangs out there, with the authentic-looking factory primers, paints, inspection stamps and markings/stencils throughout - even the types and spacing of the ammunition in the gunbays is loaded as it was during WWII based on interviewing armourers from the original squadron (328th). I've always loved those dual Spitfire mirrors too, installed as per the original wartime "Cripes". I can still remember the original articles about the restoration too, highlighting what was a rather unknown fact at the time about original NAA factory processes - the filled, sanded and silver-painted wings.

Also, I love the very authentic look of the Collings P-40B since its repair work and new paint - it really looks the part, just about as if it has traveled through time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:10 am 

kennsmithf2g wrote:
The B-17 flew around giving rides. It flew down the crowd line several times in the morning on Saturday before 1:00.

Doesn't begin to make up for the fact their own B-17 didn't do a decent performance for the crowd at its own air show. The people who put on this show better wake up and realize you can't screw people repeatedly and get away with it. Sooner or later it will come back to bite you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

How much were the tickets?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:30 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Warbirdnerd wrote:
How much were the tickets?

$20 to park, $40 admission for adults.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next