Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 pm 
Warbird Kid wrote:
jwc50 wrote:
michael luther wrote:
Just added,

The Airborne Heritage Platoon! :wink:

Always nice to see the Hueys and the Cobras!

Would love to see Cavanaugh's Caribou, the C-123 "Thunder Pig" and the BAHF C-54 join all the C-47's too....

:wink:

I think you're getting this group mixed up with the Army Airborne Group.
Here is the AHP's website: http://www.airborneheritageplatoon.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Airborne-Heritage-Platoon-197600043616607/

Quote:
T

You're right! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 am 

We are very excited to announce,

The 2017 THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN Air Show will be featuring The Worlds Largest World War II Paratrooper Drop!

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:20 am 

The German Air Force (GAF) announced today that they are returning to Thunder Over Michigan (TOM ) on Labor Day weekend, September 1, 2, 3 & 4, 2017, to showcase, on static display, their Airbus A400M Atlas aircraft. This will be the first visit to a North American Air Show by the Luftwaffe's new transport aircraft. Thunder thanks the GAF and ATW 62 based at Wunstorf, Germany for this honour.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:42 am 

A400, wouldn't have expected that, nice addition.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:44 am 

Thunder Over Michigan's Friday Taxiway Photography, Saturday, Sunday and Monday's Photo Tour/Pit packages are now on sale at yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/. Click Guest Info then Photo Tour/Pit for details.

This prime location for great photography always sells out in advance.

Cheers,

Tom Walsh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:45 pm 

Greg Shelton with his Stearman wingwalker routine has Thunder on his schedule, though I'd prefer seeing his Wildcat. Matt Younkin and his Twin Beech also has Thunder on his schedule, including a night show. I don't think Thunder has ever had a night show before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:58 pm 
BK wrote:
Greg Shelton with his Stearman wingwalker routine has Thunder on his schedule, though I'd prefer seeing his Wildcat. Matt Younkin and his Twin Beech also has Thunder on his schedule, including a night show. I don't think Thunder has ever had a night show before.

Agree, that the Wildcat would fit the Thunder warbird theme a lot better in my opinion. But over the years Thunder Over Michigan has become somewhat more of an overall general air show rather than just a strong centralized vintage warbird show.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:51 pm 

Really wouldn't mind at all to see wing walking phased out.

If novelty is sought they should go back to dropping cars from helicopters and/or jet powered porta johns, both of which used to be popular airshow routines.
["popular" may be stretching it I guess ... Saw the car drop a few times as a kid, jet john just once]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:57 am 

Just added,

The Warriors & Warbirds C-46F Commando "THE TINKER BELLE"! :wink:

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am 
NICE addition to the lineup Michael!

Always great to see a C-46, and it will fit in well with the C-47's.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:23 pm 

Just added,

The Greatest Generation Aircraft's C-49J "SOUTHERN CROSS"! :wink:

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm 

Think that is a typo. C-47 "SOUTHERN CROSS".

Never seen this Skytrain before. Nice addition!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:48 pm 
KiwiZac

Jasonrs55 wrote:

They may be right - a bunch of Google results refer to Southern Cross as a C-49J.

I know it's not historic military, but the Airbus transport is an impressive aircraft. Hopefully they have it open for a walkthrough.

Sounds like a great lineup! Those of you lucky enough to attend will be in for a treat.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 pm 

KiwiZac wrote:
Jasonrs55 wrote:

They may be right - a bunch of Google results refer to Southern Cross as a C-49J.

My understanding is the C-49 is the designation for planes that were airliner DC-3s pressed into military service. While C-47s were purpose built military aircraft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Southern Cross is a C-49J and operated by the Greatest Generation Aircraft Non Profit from Ft Worth, Tx. The previous remarks about it being a modified DC-3 are correct. It was on the production line in Santa Monica as the US became involved directly in WW2 with the attack on Hawaii and was conscripted by the Army for use as a troop transport. It was returned to the airline that had originally owned it. Chicago and Southern operated it until absorbed into the Delta Airlne system. As Delta transitioned to jets, the DC3-202 was sold to several corporate operators until it finally went to the govt of Mexico. When returned to the US, it was operated by a skydiving outfit in Florida for about ten years. It eventually made its way to Texas and was put on a scenic tour LOA. The interior has been gradually restored to reflect use as a troop transport and the door can be removed to allow use of the static cable for parachute jumps. Greatest Gen also is restoring the A-26A Special Kay. JR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next