Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm 

Is that the only Condor 200 in existence?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In some of those photos, the Condor has a striking resemblance to a DC-4 or DC-6.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 pm 

I would highly recommend going back and looking at the recovery thread.(s) While the aircraft was found intact, it was terribly corroded and essentially disintegrated on recovery...the salvage photos are heartbreaking...they have the majority of the airframe over the barge and then the spar fails. While I would have loved to have seen it restored as the maritime reconnaissance patrol aircraft it was, I understand the desire to restore it as the record breaking airliner the FW-200 represented. Any way you look at it, these dedicated folks are bringing an airplane back from the dead, and I applaud their efforts.

Last edited by Matt_in_NC on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:

Many many years ago - when I was a kid, so late 1960s? - there was a picture in Air Classics of a FW.200 fuselage, in France if I remember right. What happened to that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:40 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

lucky52 wrote:

Good question. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Only one relatively complete Fw 200 exists today, an aircraft that ditched in February 1942 and sank to a depth of 60 metres (197 feet). This aircraft was raised from Trondheim Fjord in Norway on 26 May 1999. Although the airframe disintegrated whilst being lowered onto a recovery platform, the remains were transported to the German Museum of Technology in Berlin to be rebuilt. A request from the museum for a set of separate wings to be recovered from the Kvitanosi mountain near Voss in Norway to complete the rebuild was at first denied, because the local population wanted the wings to be left in situ as a war memorial. A compromise was reached in 2008 where parts not needed for the restoration would be left on the mountain. During the autumn of 2009 parts were moved down by helicopter and made ready for transport to the Museum of Technology.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:26 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

old iron wrote:
Quote:

Many many years ago - when I was a kid, so late 1960s? - there was a picture in Air Classics of a FW.200 fuselage, in France if I remember right. What happened to that?

I asked that same question once - Per DaveM2 in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57696&p=569978&hilit=condor#p569978
DaveM2 wrote:
Chris

Yes I remember that and sent the clipping to the guy in the UK doing 'European Wrecks & Relics' at the time. He thought it was probably a photo taken in the fifties, at the latest. Never heard any more about it sadly.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 pm 

M.P. wrote:
Go to: https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de/

... click... the links on the right side of the pages, then you will find many recent pictures.

Interesting that the archival photos on the website have had the swastikas Photoshopped out.

I am aware of the German laws regarding promotion and depiction of Nazism...

Does it also apply to archival documentation? Or is the restoration group trying to distance itself from potential controversy?

I assume that it is the latter, since the restoration group appears to have attracted corporate sponsorship...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:47 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Left Seat wrote:
M.P. wrote:
Go to: https://fw200-restaurierung-bremen.de/

... click... the links on the right side of the pages, then you will find many recent pictures.

Interesting that the archival photos on the website have had the swastikas Photoshopped out.

I am aware of the German laws regarding promotion and depiction of Nazism...

Does it also apply to archival documentation? Or is the restoration group trying to distance itself from potential controversy?

I assume that it is the latter, since the restoration group appears to have attracted corporate sponsorship...

The restoration is located on Airbus property: I suspect it's a sensible expedient.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am 

If you are using chrome as your web-browser, it will give a good translation of the website.

Lance Jones