Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: 262 flies again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just in

It finally happened. We had our third flight this morning and everything went great. The gear was locked down with external sleeves that had crushable pins on one end. This way we would know if the gear tried to unlock. So far so good.
Will probably do a couple more gear down flights/landings before we go for gear retraction. Today we had the project closed to visitors. I am not sure what the policy is on the next flight, but will keep you posted.
Right now the airplane is at the restoration center at the main entrance for pictures with the Collings Foundation B-17. We will leave it down there for a bit then bring it back to the hangar for post flight/pre flight maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Awesome news. Years ago who would of thought the sight of a ME 262 would once again grace they sky with its presence? I'm not sure if anyone is able to answer this. Do the new engines sound anything like the Junkers Jumo 004s would have? Just wondering. Anyways congratulations and keep the good work.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Last I heard it run, it sounded like an A-37. I can't imagine the real thing sounding much different than the new builds.

My (as well as Gary Wagner's, JCW's and Jack Cook's) good friend Bud Granley flew his Fouga as the chase plane for the test flights. He did the same thing last time with an L-39

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:16 pm 

Fantastic!

Post subject: 262 909
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:21 am 
The 262 looked great flying around! never thought I would see the day...the photos next to 909 are impressive, I will forward my shots to RyanK of the two together...its a really big airplane next to the B-17...very intimidating.

JimH

Post subject: Phot Here
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:49 am 

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/general/updates.htm

Post subject: Fantastic,
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:36 am 
never imagined such a thing was possible :P Congratulations to all concerned.

Post subject: 262 sound
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all--

Re the comment back a bit about the relative sounds of the J85 and Jumo-engined 262s, I used to have (sadly it disappeared a few years ago) a rather interesting LP of World War II aircraft sound recordings. Not wholly sure anymore that there was a 262 on there but there was definitely one of the early jets (if it wasn't a 262 it was a Meteor I) doing passes; it had a very deep BOOM sound, completely unlike the inoffensive bizjet "whistle" of a non-reheat J85, more like a Sabre or even an early-series 737...

So maybe the Seattle 262s are a bit more "soft-spoken" than their German-built forebears. But who cares. Can't WAIT to see one of these beauties fly... :-)

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:35 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Steve, I have that disk and the 262 is on it. It sounds like a normal jet. Meteor sounds wicked, howling all over the place!!!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Now that's what I'd like to see... An early Mk1 or so Meteor in formation with the new Me-262s. Then do a demo dogfight!

Ryan

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

Post subject: early jets dogfight
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:36 pm 

well, as far as I know only flying fighter version meteor is at temora in australia so if they ever bring one of those 262's over here I'll have to try and get there so I can put in a report eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm.
A 'dogfight' between a Meatbox and 262 could be a bit embarrasing, as the Meatbox (much as I love 'em) was a far inferior a/c. It would look better in a 'demo' dogfight though, as it was a tighter turning slower machine than the 262. Just goes to show that reality (as seen at an airshow) isn't always very 'real'.

It would be interesting to see though...

Cheers
James K