Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:31 am 
Potato

Hi All!

I'm looking for any information on this gauge anyone might have.

Sorry about not having more pics of it. Here's the info.

It has three tags on it.
It has what looks like a military power connection.
It has another connection, thats threaded, but looking inside, it looks like it has a normal screwdriver adjustment screw inside.

You see the front. The lever at the bottom shifts a faceplate over the Lat/long indicator, N/S.
There should be another lever there that shifts the Longditude indicator on the bottom, E/W. The little handle has been broken off, but the ring, when turned still shifts it.

Tag 1.
COMPUTER-AIR POSITION INDICATOR
AN-5841-1
Bendix Aviation Corporation
ECLIPSE-PIONEER DIV. PART NO. 12580-3-B
CONTRACT NO. W33-038-AC-3977-
MFR'S SERIAL NO. AF-44-4649

Tag 2.
Modified by
PSC Applied Research Limited
Mod No. T243 Date 7/55
Toronto Canada

Tag 3.
Overhauled by
Aviation Electric Limited
Montreal Canada
Stock No.
6605-21-820-6245(This is hand written)
Date
OCT 68 (Hand Written)

I've googled/internetted this several times and have found nothing. I've also went looking for manuals and have found nothing. And leads would be appreiciated.

Just so this aint the most boring post in ten counties, I got a few pictures of one of my favorite subjects, T28's. Dan Dugan invited me to go up to Auburn for some chow a couple weeks ago. Ron Rich and his son Andy went too. Great flight. Great chow, the view at the resturant was great also. We swung by Davis on the way back for cheap gas. While we were there, there was a state policeman there. By the time we were getting ready to split, there was 4 crusiers and at least 4 policemen checking out the planes. They wanted a pass on the way out, so after some convincing, Dan and Ron did an awesome pass and break outbound. We headed back to LVK for some airplane cleaning. Thanks Dan and Thanks Ron! And Thanks Andy for the 242J footage you shot for me!

These were shot with agfa 400 film. First time with that. Different look than I'm used to. I didn't resize these before photbucketing them, we'll see what the damage is.

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have come across a couple of these gauges. One of them had a WWII-era air force tag on it that listed aircraft type as B-29, and the other as F-5 (ie. F-5 Lightning, not Freedom Fighter). I have never seen them in an instrument panel, but given the details and aircraft types I believe it's tied in with aerial photography, computing lattitude and longitudinal position references for photographs as they are taken. Just my opinion, but I think it makes sense.

Cheers, Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:10 am 
Pvt. Joker

That knob with the Greek symbol is intriguing.

Warbirds of America

What are you waiting for? Join us!

Best way to contact me- email my last name @gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:06 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

AN5841 REV 4 CANC 04-12-1970
Inactive for design after 31 January 1951. No superceding AN standard.
Cancelled after 4 Dec 1970. No superceding AN standard.
FSC Code: 6605 - Navigational Instruments

Looks like a proprietary Bendix design that was made into an AN specification. The spec only gives an envelope for the size, doesn't mention purpose or performance at all.

Last edited by bdk on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Naa's finest line?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:15 pm 

The claim of "NAA's finest product line is a mighty bold claim.lets see,B-25,P-51,F-86 B-45,harvard,Yale,T-6 and all variants,T-28,F-100,saturn-5,etc.etc. and on and on and on.

which was best?can you say for sure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:34 pm 
Potato

Hi all!

Richard: Great clue! Thanks! I'm going to pull my P-38 books and see if I can get a cockpit shot of one of those.

Eric: I've trying to find out what that means too.

bdk: Thanks for the info! Where did you find it?

agent86: I can say for sure. Based on my long years of flying, 2.5 to be exact, I can definitively say I know the three best aircraft ever made, ever, they are...

1. T28B/C
2. Cessna 172SP
3. American Champion Super Decathalon

I am positive of this. :D

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:21 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

O.P. wrote:
From the obsolete AN specification. I have access to a service here at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:12 pm 
Pvt. Joker

bdk wrote:
O.P. wrote:

Can you let me know who provides this service?

Warbirds of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:38 pm 
Potato

Thanks for all of the information everyone!

I've been thinking about this thread that I started for a couple of days now. And I've come to the ultimate conclusion that yes, the T28B is the best airplane ever made.

And

I've come to the conclusion that I'm willing to pay. I'm willing to pay for,

1. Another, non broken guage.
2. The box that probably drives it, non broken.
3. Manuals, Installation, Maintenance, and Operation.
4. Broken stuff that can be used as a parts source in the event that non-broken peices can't be found.

I'm not a rich guy, but I think I can probably afford this.

Thanks for any help,
Orvis

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:40 pm 
Pvt. Joker

O.P. wrote:
And I've come to the ultimate conclusion that yes, the T28B is the best airplane ever made.

So, you have issues with tailhooks on the C model?

j/k

Here’s a little more on the Pi symbol on the LH knob.

Quote:
Pi, Greek letter (π) used in mathematics as the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. This ratio is a universal constant, meaning that it is always the same for any size circle. Many important mathematical and physical equations contain pi. Finding the area of a circle (A = pr2 where r is the circle’s radius) or the volume of a sphere (V = —pr3), for instance, both require knowledge of the value of pi.

Warbirds of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:03 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Eric Friedebach wrote:
bdk wrote:
O.P. wrote:

Please PM me and remind me to look it up during the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:33 am 
Pvt. Joker

Thanks!

Will do...

Warbirds of America

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:02 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
Here’s a little more on the Pi symbol on the LH knob.

Actually, the symbol is not "pi", but "lambda". "lambda" is used in radio communications to desginate the wavelength of a particular frequency. Perhaps in this case it is used to designate some kind of interval, such as the overlap distance for aerial photography... although that's just a wild stab in the dark.

Cheers, Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:05 pm 
Potato

Hi Eric!

Only problem with C's is, C prop. It does actually make a noticable difference. But, doesn't matter that much to me actually, having either one or riding in either one would be and is awesome.

Hi Richard! Thanks for the info/idea!

Deep Thoughts,
Jack Handy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:59 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Eric Friedebach wrote:

Welcome to Specs & Standards. We'd like to highlight some of our new features and product offerings.

Customer Migrations
If you previously accessed technical information using a delivery method other than IHS Specs & Standards, you can rest assured, your subscription content is available in the IHS Specs & Standards Service. IHS Specs & Standards is the world's most comprehensive database of government specifications and industry standards with over 1 million active and historical records. IHS Specs & Standards offers exciting features to help support your critical work processes, quality, and compliance issues, as well as increase your productivity. Some of the new features and benefits you will find in IHS Specs & Standards include:

Document List Management!
The IHS Specs & Standards document management tool allows rapid document retrieval, and notifies you of document revisions, ensuring compliance to ISO and other quality initiatives. Create private and secure document lists, receive email notification of updates, "freeze" documents at a specific revision or automatically update to the latest revision.

If you previously maintained a Data Watch List in the USA Technical Document Library, IHS has migrated Public and Private Data Watch Lists to Specs Document Lists. Refer to our IHS Specs & Standards - Personal Document Lists Tip Sheet for instructions to locate and take control of a converted Data Watch List.

FLIS, QPL and Slash Links!
Specific Military search results have valuable links to Federal Logistics Information System (FLIS) data, as well as direct links to the related Qualified Product Lists (QPL). Also included is a Slash link for easy navigation of slash specifications associated with a base Military specification. For more information on these features, refer to our IHS Specs & Standards - MilSpecs Tip Sheet.

Advanced Search Technology!
Designed to be user-friendly for both novice and expert users, our most popular search options - Document Number and Text - are prominently displayed on the search screen. Additionally, with our powerful search and navigation technology, you can refine search results for pinpoint accuracy based on a variety of characteristics, such as Organization, Status, Document Type, Date, FSC, and more! For more information on searching, refer to our IHS Specs & Standards - QuickStart Tip Sheet.

Full Text Searching!
Expand your search beyond titles and abstracts to efficiently locate specific text within both DoD documents and industry standards.

eCommerce Capabilities - Gatekeeper!
IHS Specs & Standards allows you to quickly and easily purchase documents outside of your subscription while maintaining your organization's central control and funding of purchases.

Questions, comments or suggestions on the IHS Specs & Standards product can be sent to custsvc@ihs.com

http://www.ihs.com/about-ihs/subscribe.html