Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks all! Tons of good info. I don't think I will be able to walk thru the museum if we eat at all the mentioned eateries in the area! Hope there is a Wal Mart close by that I can borrow one of those electric scooters.
We have reservations now at the Quality outside the museum gate, got the last room available! Thx for the info Mustangdriver!
I didn't know that Mike K. was doing anything in concert with the SLC museum....very interesting....some info I had in the past is now making sense....thx Bomberfan...If I can talk my friend into it, It would be great to make a trip to Marango....
10-4 on the Slyders Tavern goaly...
Wacoykc and Pathfinder....thx!
P.J., we'll see you there! Won't be hard to find, my friend Skyscrapper (Howard) stands about 7' 20", and yes, we have shoehorned him into "Attu Warriors" cockpit.....though it did take the paramedics 4 days to extract him without drilling rivets.

If anyone else from the WIX world will be at the museum and WW I event, be sure to say hey to us, can't miss us...I'll be in the tall guy's shadow, probably have my Chino 'Flo's Café' Tee shirt on.

G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:58 am 

It looks like you will need at least 7 days to see all the places listed. And indeed each and every suggestion is a great one. However, the distance between each will surely take much time.

If I may, regarding the museum:

1) The behind the scenes tour on Fri is an approx. 3 1/2 hour trip. You meet in the auditorium and are bused to the base. You can sign up on line, or phone or sign up for a standby at the main info lobby desk. The highlight is the Memphis Belle.

2) The museum does have a cafeteria above the gift shop for quick lunches as opposed to leaving and taking time to drive to many of the good locations mentioned.

3) The total area inside, is over 20 acres and the time required is of course how much time spent on reading story boards etc.

4) Historically, the first 3 galleries (hangers) are in chronological order. Pre WWI, WWI, WWII, Korea, SEA, and Cold War.

5) The 4th is the new gallery opened in June and contains the Presidential Planes, Space Shuttle Crew Compartment Trainer, XB-70 Valkyrie, R&D, Titan IV, C-141 "Hanoi Taxi" and a few others.

6) At times when I volunteered as the Greeter, I would recommend, since there is only one way in and out, that one go straight to the 4th Gallery if in the early morning. Thereby, you can walk thru the Presidential Aircraft and Shuttle exhibit before the crowd starts to form lines. Also as you walk back, you will get an idea as to what is in each of the first three and where you might want to spend more time.

I hope this quit run down is of help.

While not a sell, keep in mind that if you plan on spending any considerable money in the gift shop, etc. the Museum foundation offers a one year "Friends of the Museum" for $30.00. You immediately get your membership card and offer a 20% discount on any purchase in the gift shop, cafeteria and I believe the Imax. You also will receive next years calendar and 4 quarterly magazines as well as 20% discount on on-line purchases. There is a Friends desk in the main lobby.

One of my favorites is the Doolittle Raider exhibit in WWII ... and of course the SR-71, U-2 and many more including the C-119 which I spent time in as a Radio Operator.

I hope to be at the WWI fly in sometime over the weekend.

Jerry

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bomberfan wrote:
I see you're coming from Missouri, depending on the route you take, (since you specifically named B-17s ) I would highly recommend a stop in Marengo, IL to see Mike Kellner and the Desert Rat. He's one of the friendliest guys you'll meet and the project is impressive. Also, he has teamed up with the Vintage Aviation Museum out of Salt Lake City, Utah, so it may a good chance to see it before it moves.

So this is news to me - I guess it is what I get for spending so much time in Wendover - Mike is moving 'Desert Rat' to Ogden??! I have to admit it would be nice to be able to have a project like that to volunteer on!

Tom P.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hey all, still in Dayton. Have been running hard since we got here Saturday morning. Had good time at the WWI event, saw a few friends, one of our pilots for Attu Warrior, Steve G., flew the Jenny up from Ky., and flew both days here...Cool plane, Jenny with a built Chevy 350...Missed you PJ.

Walked my feet to stubs in the museum....Great as usual, and after three days, still did not see everything there. Due to the WWI activities, we were not able to get the behind the scenes tour.
Spent some time at the Memorial at Wright Brothers Memorial Hill. Great informative center there....great view from the hill, could see WPAFB clearly...immediately spotted the indian mounds.
We went to Huffman Prairie, pretty cool to step onto the first airport in the world, albut 100 years later.
Attended church here in Fairborn yesterday, one of my friends in Kansas City was baptized there and recomended it to me, was able to meet some of his friends there.
Today we went to Carillon Historical Park. I was really impressed with this park. Something there for everyone. If you like old cars, old trains, old planes, old stuff period, you'll love this place. Already thinking about plans to return just to go back to this place...great local history. The importance of Dayton to this country and world really sunk in....great job!

Tomorrow plans are to head to Urbana to see the B-17.

Didn't get a chance to go to any of the recomended eateries, old and new friends insisted we join them....next time.

If anyone has never been to visit the AF Museum, and all the recomended places, if you get the chance, go for it, you won't be dissapointed!
G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:25 am 

I kept an eye out for you on Saturday Gary, but no sightings. The weather held out and it was a fun day....half spent at the Rendezvous and the rest at the Museum. Looking forward to the next one in two years!

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org