Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:08 am 

aerovin wrote:
thoots wrote:

Things might move pretty quickly from this point forward -- the B-17 is next, with the work being mainly to recertify the engines. It sounds like they have already replaced fuel lines and such. The whole "wing spar" issue apparently is not an issue -- apparently it was about microscopic cracks in them, and "they all left the factory with those." Presumably they will not keep the plane from flying away.

Once the B-17 is ready to fly it will be flown to Florida on a ferry permit where the mandatory FAA Airworthiness Directive will be completed. This is a major inspection of the wing attach points and hardware and for the other flying B-17s, required the wings be removed. See also:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/AD567A6DFAC6CB5A86256AF10057B840?OpenDocument

This is pretty much why Evergreen parked the B-17 in the first place back around 2001.

Thanks Scott. I'm still amused by the "they all left the factory with those" comments. What nonsense - shame on them for saying that. No, they didn't leave with cracks. Most of the B-17's flying today do not have cracks, "microscopic", or otherwise. The ones that do have FAA approved repairs.

If you do the full inspection required by the AD - which requires pulling the wing, removing the terminal fittings - and discover no corrosion or cracks, you can put it back together and you're good to go - no further inspections are necessary. If you find a crack, you do the repair in the SRM or one of the AMOCs, and follow the inspection interval for that repair.

The AD also allows an alternate inspection (bolt pull, not wing pull), that must be performed every 36 months. If cracks are discovered, there are AMOCs to address them, but you must continue to re-do inspections at intervals as short as every 25 FLIGHT HOURS to 12-18 months to 36 months, depending on the crack and repair method.

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 pm 

Chuck Giese wrote:
I'm still amused by the "they all left the factory with those" comments.

Oh, I've heard a few things -- it's hard to know how much any given docent or other staff member actually knows, versus whether they're just repeating what they've heard, and so on. Most, if not all of these guys are volunteers, and I'm sure their actual experiences are truly varied. I'll say that it's pretty obvious when you're talking with someone who has had plenty of real life experience with an aircraft or other artifact -- some of them are truly amazing. I just figure that it's worth reporting what I've heard here in the forum, knowing that we have some of those folks here who truly know what they're talking about, who will sort things out for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

I'm a bit late with updates, but here is what's new at Evergreen Aviation Museum:

Mainly, the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk is gone -- it did indeed leave about a week after the P-38 flew away. I haven't talked to any of the folks there about it, so I presume it was taken apart to whatever extent was needed to get it on a truck, and presumably it has already reached its destination, which presumably is the same company down in Florida where the P-38 was ultimately headed. No other planes than the P-38 and the P-40 have left the museum as I write this.

About a week after the P-40 left, the museum moved things around quite a bit, taking advantage of the extra room. Frankly, since I like to take pictures, this is perfectly fine with me, as a number of planes were really packed next to each other, so it was difficult to get good pictures of some of them. So, overall, I'm OK with the changes so far.

As I spoke with some of the docents about previously, the museum really has a bunch of "sport" planes and "homebuilts" -- while far more significant planes are standing outside of the museum, getting more and more weathered each year. I certainly agree with the docents who hoped that some of those small planes could go away, and some of the more significant planes could be cleaned up, repainted, and moved to spend some quality time indoors. Personally, I would like to see all of the museum's "century series" jet fighters get together in a display, though I rather doubt that will ever happen. They have the F-101 and the F-104 indoors, in the Space Museum, but all of the others -- the F-100, the F-102, the F-105, and the F-106, are all outdoors, with two each in front of the main museum and the space museum buildings.

Then, there was talk of planes that the museum apparently had the rights to simply pick up and move to the museum -- talk of an F-111 and an F-16, with apparently plenty more "out there somewhere." Only time will tell what changes we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm 

Has the (ex Pardue) FG-1D Corsair gone too? Or still at the museum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:00 pm 

DamonE wrote:
Has the (ex Pardue) FG-1D Corsair gone too? Or still at the museum.

I'm not aware of the history of the plane, but the Corsair that has been in the museum for years is indeed still there. In fact, it was one that made a major move in the new placement of things, coming out of one of the corners it has been in for quite some time, and is now rather "front and center" across from the B-17. That said, it's the same position that the P-38 and the P-40 moved to before they ultimately left the museum. Though, I don't recall it ever being on a list of planes likely to leave -- but then again, I'm sure there are plenty of other folks who know far more about that kind of thing than I do.

Here it is, in its current position:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

About the jets, when I was there several years ago, the F-102 was parked outside and had significant corrosion (we're talking holes) in the forward fuselage.

It if had been at a USAF base collection, it probably would have been scrapped.
I don't think the type takes too kindly to being outside in wet climates, IIRC, a static 102 was removed from display and scrapped in Iceland because of that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 am 

American Aero Services May 26 Facebook shows photos of the P-38 , with Steve Hinton and says "38 flys and is now in Chino"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am 

Thanks for posing the picture thoots !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:27 am 

Here is the Museum's F-102A. Indeed, it sits outside, and you can see the shape of the nose. At the very least, it could use some new paint.

This, like very many of the jet fighter aircraft the Museum has on display, is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

Of great note is the text on the information plaque about the "area rule" re-design, which allowed it to finally get over the speed of sound.

The "area rule" design was used for most of the rest of the Century Series fighters, and indeed continued long afterwards for supersonic aircraft.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:45 pm 
pjpahs wrote:
American Aero Services May 26 Facebook shows photos of the P-38 , with Steve Hinton and says "38 flys and is now in Chino"

Any idea when the P-38 may be headed to American Aero in New Smyrna Beach, FL?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ref the number of prospective P-38's, if these folks are successful, there maybe another one from Greenland.

https://www.facebook.com/FallenAmerican ... oundation/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 am 

Does anyone know what the very large building being built across the road behind the old Evergreen buildings is for? It is at the airport and right about where the Spruce Goose greenhouses used to sit.

It looks like similar architecture to the museum buildings...

Restoration or maintenance center perhaps???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 pm 

Flybipe wrote:
Does anyone know what the very large building being built across the road behind the old Evergreen buildings is for? It is at the airport and right about where the Spruce Goose greenhouses used to sit.

It looks like similar architecture to the museum buildings...

Restoration or maintenance center perhaps???

I doubt it very highly. Most of the buildings across the highway from the museum were owned by Evergreen Aviation (the company), and all or most of them have been sold off to other corporate interests. I have heard that one or more winery companies have bought at least some of those buildings, and the docents I've talked to thought that the new building going up is more manufacturing or storage space for one of the winery companies.

I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that the museum has any money to invest in a new restoration building at this time. Their old restoration building was back there somewhere, presumably owned by Evergreen Aviation, so the museum had to move out of that when they were put up for sale.

That's the best guess I can give you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 pm 

Looks like you may be correct, I had not heard about the purchase of the former Evergreen offices by the (Kendall) Jackson wine making family but did some digging after your post and it seems like it is likely a modern wine production facility being constructed.

Wine tourism is hot in the valley right now so hopefully it will draw a continued crowd to the museum too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm 

Flybipe wrote:
Looks like you may be correct, I had not heard about the purchase of the former Evergreen offices by the (Kendall) Jackson wine making family but did some digging after your post and it seems like it is likely a modern wine production facility being constructed.

Wine tourism is hot in the valley right now so hopefully it will draw a continued crowd to the museum too...

Yes, indeed -- to all of that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next