Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:13 pm 

previous arrival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMi1pmUW9zc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 pm 

I wondered about that myself. Saw a similar arrival of a B-25 a few years ago at a show in Manitowoc WI. He kinda dropped it in and the nose wheel strut sounded like a low frequency tuning fork.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 pm 

I shot the whole ordeal from near the 36 threshold.

ImageA-26 Crash by Nick N, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:33 pm 

L-188 wrote:
I wondered about that myself. Saw a similar arrival of a B-25 a few years ago at a show in Manitowoc WI. He kinda dropped it in and the nose wheel strut sounded like a low frequency tuning fork.

The part that failed was going to fail...period. It had little or nothing to do with what everyone on the internet seems to consider an overly hard landing. I have seen the part that failed and it was not stress related at least anytime in the near past. We will be sharing our findings with the A-26 community as we gather them because others in the fleet may have similar issues.

I would like to thank the members of the forum WIX community for not rampantly second guessing us and creating idle speculation. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the WIX Facebook group.

If you ever wonder why operators and pilots of warbirds seem to avoid posting on that forum or here for that matter..wonder not..it is exactly that kind of stuff.

Thanks to all of you who have reached out with offers to help and well wishes. It is appreciated even if I haven't had time to reply to you all personally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:56 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

You know, I really don't understand why grownups even go on Faceplant. I'm know I'm getting pretty old, and I'm a bit of a Luddite, but every Facebook experience I've ever had (limited, as I've always refused to sign up for it) has been negative. The level of discourse over there seems to be pretty dismal -- I much prefer to get news through a reasonably adult and well moderated website like WIX. The unedited drivel on Facewipe would drive me nuts...

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:14 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Tim, I am sure you have all ready talked to John Lane, if not he knows Invader nose gear.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:17 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ref the above pics posted by nnickn.......specifically the middle pic in the bottom row.

Any idea what that airborne object is behind the aircraft? There is a 2nd similar object in the smoke trail. L/G doors???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 am 

Those airborne objects are the jettisoned canopies in preparation for exit once the plane comes to a stop. Kudos to Jim and the crew for doing a tough situation so safely! Glad you guys are alright, and the plane can be repaired.

- Dennis S.
Westminster, CO USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:40 am 

Matt Gunsch wrote:
Tim, I am sure you have all ready talked to John Lane, if not he knows Invader nose gear.

Matt: John was PIC for this flight. We have talked a bit :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nothing I can add other than Tim what's your mailing address?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 am 

Tim Savage wrote:
L-188 wrote:

The part that failed was going to fail...period. It had little or nothing to do with what everyone on the internet seems to consider an overly hard landing. I have seen the part that failed and it was not stress related at least anytime in the near past. We will be sharing our findings with the A-26 community as we gather them because others in the fleet may have similar issues.

I would like to thank the members of the forum WIX community for not rampantly second guessing us and creating idle speculation. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the WIX Facebook group.

If you ever wonder why operators and pilots of warbirds seem to avoid posting on that forum or here for that matter..wonder not..it is exactly that kind of stuff.

Thanks to all of you who have reached out with offers to help and well wishes. It is appreciated even if I haven't had time to reply to you all personally.

What I found extremely frustrating about the Facebook page was that there were people who basically said A-26s were known for this and others completely ignored it and kept on with their own "theories". Everybody wants to play Monday morning quarterback. I wonder how many of those people are pilots, let alone pilots who have been in a similar situation.

Also think it is ridiculous how every time there is a gear issue, someone always has to say that the pilot should have cut the engines and quickly feathered the props to save the engines. Like that is what a pilot in a distressed aircraft is worried about!!

Well done to you and you team, I'm happy it isn't worse than it could have been.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 am 

Tim - well done all. I completely understand the concern for the people in the back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd like to add my support for those who made the very best out of an unfortunate situation.

To those who suggest shutting down engines and feathering propellers on short final, that is not a wise or safe thing to do.
In a situation where things are not operating normally, the last thing you want to do is add in a whole bunch more abnormal factors.

The single most important thing is that no one got seriously hurt. The end!!

Airplanes can be fixed.

All the best to everyone involved and may the aircraft have a speedy and smooth return to flight.

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Tim and John did all they could do to minimize the damage to the airplane. I congratulate them for a job well done.
For those who think they should have feathered the props, perhaps you should look in the Pilot's Dash 1 manual or have some experience with A-26's. Now ask yourself "What good would it have done to feather the props?" Then consider, "What bad could happen?" The bad immediately jumps out. With these big stout blades striking the ground at a perpendicular angle, they will bend. If they strike in the feathered position, they don't bend. They are strong enough to either leverage the engine off the mounts or break the prop hub assembly off. The probability of fire goes way up as the oil and fuel tanks sit behind the engine. The nacelle will also probably distort and since it holds the main gear support trunnions, that gear would be free to give way. It only gets worse from there. so why feather the props if you don't need to reduce drag? The engines are still going to have a prop strike and it sure wouldn't be prudent to just slap new props on and go without a teardown inspection and repair. Guess that's why the A-26 books says not to feather unless at altitude to increase gliding distance but unfeather before ground contact. Engine will be removed for inspection. From an A-26 driver in Texas.... JR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I appreciate the knowledge being shared in this thread- this is one of the best things about this board, when knowledgeable, experienced mechanics and aircrew share information like this. Thank you all for the education, and Tim, thanks for your input even as you face the frustration and aggravation of having to go through the repair process to get that gorgeous bird back in the air. I wish you all the luck in the world in getting her fixed.

Lynn