Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: A2 flight jackets
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:08 pm 

Not sure if anyone is interested but, one of the most accurate and nicest A2 flight jackets made is produced by Eastman Leathers in the UK. With the pound coming down to a 7 year low this week I took this opportunity to finally order one. They are not cheap but I plan on it outlasting me.

Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/usaaf-eas ... 21_40.html

Post subject: Re: A2 flight jackets
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a Cooper, the firm that received the first USAF contract when they were reintroduced in the late 80s/early 90s.
Google tells me they're out of business, but they sure made a fine product.
I'll probably be buried in mine. :)

I also have an Avirex I bought from Sporty's 35 years ago. Despite being made of soft glove leather, its held up well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:11 pm 

Speeddemon651 wrote:
Not sure if anyone is interested but, one of the most accurate and nicest A2 flight jackets made is produced by Eastman Leathers in the UK. With the pound coming down to a 7 year low this week I took this opportunity to finally order one. They are not cheap but I plan on it outlasting me.

Just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/usaaf-eas ... 21_40.html

Which one did you order?

I've got one of their 352nd FG Monarch Manufacturing A-2's.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/352supndsup-ftr-grp-jacket-c-21_42.html?osCsid=hlus0se1p6rn5bvhn46vq6nt86

Eastman make good jackets, certainly for many years, they were the best repro's available. I bought my first A-2 from them back in 1990, and still have it but it not longer fits as I'm no longer the same size as I was in my late 20's :roll:

The Good Wear Leather Co in the USA is probably their equal now (maybe even better) and I was contemplating ordering one from the USA, but for the same reason you are ordering an Eastman, I won't now be ordering a Good Wear!!

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html

:drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:06 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Spiritof44.com has great accessories ;) wink wink

Jim

PS Avirex, in my opinion, makes the best user friendly A-2 jackets. Eastman certainly makes some of the best repros.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JimH wrote:
Spiritof44.com has great accessories ;) wink wink

Jim

PS Avirex, in my opinion, makes the best user friendly A-2 jackets. Eastman certainly makes some of the best repros.

Nice web page Jim...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:40 pm 

You won't be able to order anything from Eastman in the UK without going through their US distributor HPA. And I'm sure there will be no discount based upon exchange rates.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:06 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Pop's Leather in Turkey has often been chosen by today's USAF crews. They modified my issue jacket and I subsequently ordered a custom fit A-2 from their US rep at OSH a few years ago. While they may not use the exact type snaps used in WWII, I will say their workmanship and quality are top notch and I am beyond pleased - plus, for the same price, the jacket was custom made for me instead of buying an off the shelf size.

http://www.popsleather.com/

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:59 am 

JohnB wrote:
I have a Cooper, the firm that received the first USAF contract when they were reintroduced in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yes! My Issued Navy G1 is a Cooper goat skin.

When I got recalled back to Active duty after 9/11, I was stationed at NAS Pensacola...my original was a bit snug (40) so I went over to the aviation supply shed to see about swapping it out for a 42. I had seen some of the new issue G1s and they looked like crap so I wasn't too excited. The old lady working in there (she's been there forever, probably still is!) pulled my record out of her file cabinet...to make sure I was authorized an issued jacket, and once satisfied she said to take one off the shelf...I dug through a stack of them until I found another Cooper!

Sad part was, my old one, I had to take a razor blade and cut the "USN" flap off of it and toss it in a bin that was headed to the DRMO :( I wanted to give it to my son but she wasn't gonna let me keep it.

Speaking of jackets, anyone know of a reputable sewing shop that can replace the knit cuffs? I have a set of them but don't want to trust the job to any ol' tailor shop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:37 am 

Remember Wings & Things on Navy Blvd??
Call Larry.....Magic words are, "Owen from the battleship sent me".
Runs right at $100.00 for waistband and cuffs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm 

JOMiller wrote:
Remember Wings & Things on Navy Blvd??
Call Larry.....Magic words are, "Owen from the battleship sent me".
Runs right at $100.00 for waistband and cuffs.

Alright, yeah, those would be the folks to ask.

Thanks!

For anyone else needing the same service, you can set it up right on their web page.

http://www.wings-and-things.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For new knit cuffs, there is an ad in Trade-A-Plane for a shop in Pensacola.
My old Avirex needs them and a repair to the lining. I noticed the lining issue in January of 1990, haven't got around to fixing it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 am 

I have a Cooper A-2 in horse hide that I bought from U.S. Wings (http://www.uswings.com/) many years ago. It is very nice and like it a lot.

I want to get one of the higher quality reproductions and have it painted. At The Gathering of Mustangs in Columbus, History Preservation Associates had a tent and I tried on several of the different versions of A-2s. Wow, you could just feel the quality.

A good A-2 reference is Acme Depot (http://www.acmedepot.com/).