Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:38 pm 

No invasion stripes,. sharks teeth urghhhh. Never passed my mind.

.I think I will go with A.

Will be easier on Air traffic to remember that Lima Hotel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:42 pm 

Dave,

Sounds like a great project and we are looking forward to seeing photos.

Since you are planning a combat artillery paint scheme have you decided on the radios and antennas yet. The correct radio install for a Korean War L-16 artillery bird is the BC1335 and whip antenna. The BC1335 is 1/2 the size and weight of the BC659 that it replaced and was installed in L-4, L-5 aircraft starting in 1944 and L-16s a few years later.

In this photo LH-988 is equipped with a BC1335 and whip antenna

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1062859 ... 8743408401

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm 

Hi

The L16a image is great.

Not thought about comms yet, in the UK if radio is a permanent install a large fee is payable to the CAA. So not sure yet, plus I have to fit equipment that is now compatable with the new 8.33 my spacing , otherwise I may not get a permit to fly. UK white collar guys create the rules. Soon I may have to fit a transponder, we are all hoping that vintage planes with no electrics will be exempt,. We aren't bothered about flying in controlled airspace.

maybe a dummy antenna could be reproduced.

Have you checked my restoration website , www.aeroncal16a.co.uk

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:17 pm 

Dave, the military radios should be gutted and for display only. They are not legal for operation in aircraft but are essential for accuracy and detail. The radios and antennas make the aircraft as far as I am concerned, they look naked without the equipment installed. The L-19s and T-41B use the FM, UHF and other heads but no transmitters and receivers that would be hidden in the tail.

BC1335

BC659 installed in the L-4B I owned along with my L-19 and T-41B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:46 am 

Thanks for the information,. It's a big help now. Soon I shall be at the stage of adding the fine detail.

Regards

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:59 am 

davecrompton wrote:
Thanks for the information,. It's a big help now. Soon I shall be at the stage of adding the fine detail.
Regards
Dave

Dave, BTW great page on the restoration, you are making excellent progress.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:40 pm 

Thanks Brian,. Glad you like it, 1500 man hours to date between 3 of us, on and off.

We seem to go 2 steps forward 3 steps back,. It is the Oleos causing issues,. Couldn't even up the amount of Oleo tube showing on each leg even though aircraft was level, so after stripping on down 3 times it was back to basics with a tape measure, all seemed ok until by chance we measured the length of the 2 case frames, the starboard one was 1/2" longer then the port,. we have found the problem and very easy to fix,. Seems different case frames can get some variation

Now we have turned a small spacer to sit on the taxi spring and this will cure the problem. Some of the forums show pictures of stripped oleos with an additional spacer in the edge side.

Fuel flow tests next week, another engine run up , then cowls, greenhouse and paint.

If you check my site you will see in the for sale section my old champ I have just sold, this was a flying movie prop and was painted 15 years ago in invasion colors just as a temporary,. It has stuck ever since.

I am lucky to get an L16,. This is the only one in the UK and disappeared from the flying scene in the 70's.

The story goes ..A US F111 pilot must have cadged if from the CAP and shipped it as a toy to RAF Upper Before where it was completely rebuilt in the base workshops and set in Korean War colors,. I think the officers flew the English girls around. Then the officer was sent back to the USA and the aircraft was moved as surplus and purchased by a farmer,. He used it occasionally until he passed away in the late 80,s,. 797 was moved to a disused ww2 bomber station, put into an old hangar Covered in silk parachutes and forgotten about until I discovered it.

I do have the aircraft maintainence manual with the USAF one and the fighter pilots name on the front.

When it goes bad I regret it but not very often and the bad feeling soon go when people say wow !!!

Hopefully fuselage which is now signed off will be finished end of sept, then onto the wings which don't look to bad,. Spars seem good that's the main thing,. I have to order new struts, either that or have the old ones x rayed.

Thanks for your support and have you still got the 3 aircraft.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:14 pm 

Hi John

thanks for all your assistance,. There is no one to talk to in the UK,. They all ask what's an L16 what's that again L16,. ? And the youngsters say Korean War ? Wasn't that recent you know the guy with hair cropped at the sides, something to do with nuclear?

Regards

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:16 pm 

Sorry

Am I able to use any of the photos of the L16s you sent me on my site, doesn't matter if not

Dave