Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My question deals with the A-26 Invader during WWII only.

I just can't seem to find much good info. on them during the war. If you know of any good books, let me know.

Ever meet a Vet that flew them in the war? Personally, I have never met anyone that flew them or even heard a story about thier use during the war.

1. How many A-26's were used/built during WWII?
2. How many gun nose or glass nose A-26's were used in WWII?
3. Did they use them as ground attack or just medium bombers?
4. How many crew members were usually on a mission?
5. Were any A-26's shot down by Axis aircraft?
5. Were they all single control or did they use a co-pilot?
6. Are any A-26's flying now that saw combat in WWII?
7. Are there any A-26's that are still fairly stock, not converted to On-
Mark, water bomber, exec. transport? Whats the best military stock
restored one out there.

Regards,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:48 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mike, I can try to fill in a couple of the blanks for you.

A-26 was the only US aircraft conceived, designed, and built to see combat in both theaters within the confines of US involvement in WWII.

Bs were typically built at Long Beach, Cs were built at Tulsa. Having said that the glass nose versus gun nose was really not the big difference between the two models.

Gun noses were either 8 gun stacked vertically or 6 gun horizontal. B models had 6 50s mounted internally in the wings. C models had hard points were pods with 2 .50s per side could be mounted. Ammunition was carried internal in the wings like the fighters. The B model ammo doors are similar to 51s ,47s, etc. The C models used multiple small panels with Dzus fasteners. All aircraft carried the remote aimed & fired dorsal turret. Originally they also carried a similar ventral turret. They were operated by either the gunner in the compartment behind the bombbay with a periscope sight or they could be aimed forward with the guns depressed level and be fired by the pilot with the nose guns. Ventral turrets were eliminated because they caused a CG issue as fuel was burned off and because anyone trying to climb after an A-26 at speed could not catch them.

The noses were designed to be qickly changed to suit the mission needs.
(within a few hours)

The A-26s were used both in the medium bomber role as well as ground attack. Marauder squadrons began to convert to the Invaderin Europe. I beleive they were also replacing B-25s in both Europe and the Pacific.

Most Invaders were built as single pilot aircraft there is no throwover yoke. I believe a small number were built as TBs, I know a conversion kit was later built (after WWII) but they had limited use.

Potentially there may be some survivors that have seen WWII combat but I don't know of a specific one. Many saw Korean combat, one survivor has seen Viet Nam combat.

About 2500 airframes were completed by the time the WWII contracts were cancelled at the end of the war.

Somebody else will have to fill in the rest.

Last edited by RickH on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:52 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I can't vouch for a lot of the information you're looking for, but the A-26C, 43-22499 at the New England Air Musuem flew over 100 missions in WWII with the 416th Bomb Group. She was called "Reida Rae" and many pilots flew her during her time in France and Belgium. She's got 14 repaired flak holes in her skin.

She started out life with a glass nose but currently sports the gun nosed that replaced it after the war. The usual proceedure in their squadron was one out of every four A-26's had a glass nose for a bombadier. The glass noses would lead the mission and the hard, gun nosed versions would drop on the lead. They would then be free, if needed, to attack ground tagets with their 50's. Since "Reida" had a glass nose (We've got photos o prove it) she was in higher demand on mission, hence the 100-plus number. With an average of 16 to 20 planes per squadron, they only had about 4 glass nose versions to lead missions.

I was told that the usually flew with a crew of two or three, and this bird is a single control version and still in fairly stock condition, though stripped. She is currently receiveing restoration attention in the shop.

"Reida" also sports the now fairly rare "flat", forward opening cockpit canopy, as opposed to the clamshell versions seen on most Invaders.
Since myself and Dave Isner of the Carolina Musuem did the research to track down its history, I've personally spoken to pilots and crew members and they have visited her and supplied the museum with photos.

I also have to personal friends her in CT that flew Both A-26's and B-26 Marauders in Europe.

There aren't many WWII aircraft that have survived that have more than 100 missions to their credit! Stop by and she her some day!
I hope that starts to help Mike!
Blue skies,
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:56 am 

9th AF history has the 386th BG, 391st BG, 409th BG and 416th BG flying A26s in the ETO Images of both solid nose Bs and glass nose Cs shown

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:47 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

That is a GREAT history on the A-26C at NEAM. Thanks for posting. I wish now I had taken several more shots when WIX took a tour in the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I don't know if they've located a glass nose yet, but they are proceeding to clean it up and check the corrosion. The turrets are in storage, so they should be added. The glass nose can be attached later if one hasn't been tracked down.

The aircraft, when in service, was natural metal with only SQ. codes and a black vertical stripe on the rudder. Not a very attractive paint scheme, but that's how she was! I'lll try to post some pics in the next day or two from her WWII days with more history details.

The restoration hangar is usually open for tours during the Winter Open Cockpit Sundays, (Jan., Feb., Mar.) so it would be a good opportunity to see her under restoration. Check the NEAM website for the dates.
Jerry O'Neill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:25 pm 

Courtesy Aircraft still has an A-26 for sale:

1944 DOUGLAS A-26C "INVADER"
N7705C  s/n 44-35710
“Hard To Get”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:19 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Col. Rohr wrote:
NEAM Bird
Hmmmm... Return of the damne... I mean banned? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:55 pm 

Can anyone clarify the regulations regarding single pilot operation of the A-26?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

What are you trying to clarify ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Type Certificate Data Sheet doesn't mention anything about the number of pilots for certification in the Limited category.