Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Interesting & civil discussion.

1. Thrilled to see Flak Bait in the queue. Looked at her from the mezzanine windows about 6 months ago.

2. Not thrilled to see B-17 SSSBaby leave Dayton, but I won't argue with those who support the idea.

3. I'll say I am a fan of putting US artifacts ahead in the queue (even though I'll admit being drawn to the Ar234, having seen it in books as a kid). This current discussion about "well these items are being pulled from storage for display without restoration" does rub me a little, as I asked years back about the A-1H Skyraider coming out as-is (it flew to DC) and at least being seen until time allowed for it to be preserved/restored appropriately - I was given a long line about how that's not how they want to do things and it's more complicated than it seems, yada, yada. So, to this, I simply say, pick your method and stick to it. A Spad with its wings folded is not a huge footprint, but, I do admit a bias ... 8)

4. The Barksdale B-24 is better than no B-24. I would have to think that they made a mistake not accepting it.

5. Maybe one day the need for restorations will drop way off because these museums will snag airplanes as soon as they leave service, at least one can hope.

Again, good discussion.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:19 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

The NASM is a repository for Aviation history...not just the World Wars. Betty Skelton's Pitts greets you at the entrance...Leo Loudenslager's Laser 200 and Art Scholl's Chipmunk are a sharp contrast to the Enola Gay, or 707. The NASM paints a broad brush stroke across all facets of aviation history.

To the Victors belong the spoils...or however that goes. There is more to aviation history than WWII...BUT no other era had an impact on design and development as great as WWII. In my eyes, since we all take away something different from these museums, the NASM is telling a story. A big part of that story is the Axis aircraft that the Allies fought and captured in defense of world peace. These aircraft were cutting edge to the likes of Japan, Italy and Germany and tells the story of design and development of our opponents. The story would only be half told if it were only U.S. made aircraft. The fact that we can go to UH and see all eras and nationalities of Aviation history...and some of THE actual airframes that made the history is remarkable.

Shoo Shoo Baby has just as much a story to tell as Bob Hoover's Shrike, or the Spad XVI that Billy Mitchell observed WWI battlefields...it goes on. I think another good example is Darl Greenamyer's Bearcat. This airplane took the Piston Powered Speed record away from Germany 30 years after it was set. The Me 209, that somehow survived the war, is sitting in the back of a Polish Museum that has no climate control and is rotting away.

These aircraft have been stored too long...they need to be on display at a National venue and UH fits the bill perfectly. The contrast and story of Aviation history is all there...

jim