Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: BT-13 s/n 41-11538
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Living near Fleming, it has been great to hear and see this aircraft flying overhead again within the last couple days. Absolutely fantastic work, Jordan, and I'm so glad you guys went with the white cowl as it really sets it apart. All of the authentic markings and stencils are exceptional, and it is so great to now see this aircraft just as it looked in the early years of WWII.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:05 pm 

Thanks John. It's been a fun research project that isn't over!

As for the flying, I think there were four of us who got current again on Friday and Saturday. I'm sure you'll be seeing it in the air quite a bit, even though many events have been cancelled.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ditto what John T said. You guys scored a homerun with this effort. Believe it or not, there may have been even more stencils that what you have on the plane. The Soplata collection BT-15 has an original and similar paint scheme. If you send me an email of the pics I took of their aircraft. Also, I will be up there next month and can take pics of anything you need. Their BT is 100% original less one instrument in the cockpit. They have lots of spare BT parts in original markings. As well.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was at a collection the other day and saw a world class silver Stearman and a nice AT-6A, but no Vultee.
Too bad there aren't more around it would be nice to have museums have a complete set of the major trainers.

15 years ago I was in Abilene, Texas and a local pilot had a flying BT-13 (blue and yellow, however the blue was a dark Navy blue...which he said was correct in some aircraft, not sure if that's accurate...anyone know?) but equally impressive was he had a pretty much complete project as well.
Hopefully it will be restored by a new owner one of these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:14 am 

JohnB wrote:
I was at a collection the other day and saw a world class silver Stearman and a nice AT-6A, but no Vultee.
Too bad there aren't more around it would be nice to have museums have a complete set of the major trainers.

JohnB,

The CAF MN Wing does have aircraft representative of one progression path through Advanced Single-Engine Flying Training, albeit a mix of services. Current aircraft in the fleet;

Ryan PT-22
https://www.cafmn.org/ryan-pt-22-recruit.html

Vultee BT-13
https://www.cafmn.org/vultee-bt-13-valiant.html

North American SNJ (AT-6)
https://www.cafmn.org/north-american-snj-texan.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jD79

Glad to hear someone had a complete airworthy set.
As John Terrell's updated listing showed there are fewer than 50 Vultees out there, as opposed to hundreds of T-6s and perhaps a thousand Stearmans, so complete collections are rare. If course there aren't that many PT-22s or PT-19s, but the Stearmans easily represent the Primary trainers flown.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:20 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sadly, the warbird market got flooded in the 1990's with a limitless supply of foreign jets, plus Yaks , CJ's, and far too many T-28 projects. These "ready to go" warbirds gobbled up a lot of the demand for fresh restorations of BT-13's, T-28s and Stearmans. There are "enough" Stearmans flying but sadly, many Navy N3N's are yet to be rebuilt as there are also plenty of BT and T-6 projects.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marine air wrote:
There are "enough" Stearmans flying but sadly, many Navy N3N's are yet to be rebuilt as there are also plenty of BT and T-6 projects.

A friend who has restored plenty of antiques and warbirds just bought a N3N.
It was last flown in 1946 and has been through numerous owners since then. None of them seemed to have gotten far with the project.
Imagine being passed around for 75 years and still not flying.

My friend ALWAYS finishes what he starts, so I'm about two-three years there will be another N3N flying on floats!