Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: How to buy warbirds
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/new ... ys-/np3rc/

-

Post subject: Re: How to buy warbirds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Slattery has the following-
PBY, Tigercat (x2), Dauntless, Brewster Corsair, Helldiver, B-23, P-38.
What is missing from the list?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:57 am 

TBM, F3F, Skyraider, A2D Skyshark. Not sure what else there is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:27 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Now that we're all (general public and warbird community) the more the wiser, I wonder how much this will have an impact on the way in which his warbirds are displayed. They've been displayed/flown at select airshows over the past few years (including Oshkosh and Planes of Fame Chino), and part of the collection has been on display at Westpac's "National Museum of WWII Aviation", so they haven't been entirely private, at least up until now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Warbirdnerd wrote:
What is missing from the list?

Most likely all of it eventually.

JohnTerrell wrote:
Now that we're all (general public and warbird community) the more the wiser, I wonder how much this will have an impact on the way in which his warbirds are displayed.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually the impact on his collection will be he will no longer have a collection.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

From what I've read on the internet -- and you know it must be true if it's on the internet :roll: -- it appears that Mr. Slattery may be personally immune from prosecution over the alleged corporate money scam thing. If that's the case, his collection will most likely remain intact until he chooses otherwise.

I won't make any commentary, one way or the other, regarding the alleged fraud which allegedly enabled him to buy all of those airplanes. Leave that to the legal system to figure out. What I will comment on is how really nice it is that the airplanes still even exist, and that they're being well cared for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

K5DH... Dean .... Beat me to it.....

While you guys spend your time busting lawyers (I was one for 17 years), the rich get richer and keep the poor poorer by using the best lawyers money can buy.... I can tell you up front that Jim is insulated from what happened 7 ways to Sunday.... He will walk, keep what he has less maybe $6 to $10 million in attorney fees, and probably have someone else pay them. (note recent prosecution of Don Blankenship in WV for running an unsafe coal mine resulting in the deaths of 29 people).

While Jim may spend years consulting with lawyers and eating antacids, In the end, he's going to keep what he has and the warbird show will go on...

America finally has a new generation of rich who are so rich even the Federal Govt has met their match on prosecuting them... You guys may cheer them on to victory, but what they ultimately end up doing results in the death of a corporation and that means the worker's benefits (retirement and insurance) end up unfunded and for all practical purposes GONE...

As Dean said, the legal system will sort it out

Personally I hope he walks away clean... Congrats sir...

Mark H

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

P51Mstg wrote:
While you guys spend your time busting lawyers

Who's busting lawyers? :roll:

P51Mstg wrote:
You guys may cheer them on to victory

Who's "you guys"? ... certainly not me.

P51Mstg wrote:

BS sir :roll:

BTW there's nothing "alleged" ...as it doesn't take too much searching to find public records of what is fact.
Personally I hope he gets his ass handed to him. I know the damage he's done already. Shame as he's done some good things with old airplanes, but ... ( I will agree though that he'll most likely walk)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:52 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark...

General attitude I've seen in the warbird community.... Lawyers are crap, thieves, etc... But if you are a lawyer who owns a warbird, you are OK... I recall one lawyer who said one time (I forget which) Continental or Cessna, paid for his warbird and a lifetime of fuel and maintenance on ONE CASE (obviously what he spent his fee on).... While the community thought he was cool and his plane was cool, I'm sure he added a lot onto the cost of an engine or airframe.

America cheers for the antiheroes.... If they are Jesse James, Dirty Harry or Donald Trump.... Here, I'm simply saying, if you are doing something BORDERLINE, good lawyering is a work of art... and well worth the investment...

BTW in court, nothing is cut and dried and what you see isn't what the jury sees or concludes, ask the 2 extremes, OJ Simpson or Rodney King..

Mark H

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:53 am 

P51Mstg wrote:

While Jim may spend years consulting with lawyers and eating antacids, In the end, he's going to keep what he has and the warbird show will go on...

Mark H

I wish he would actually have to pay for what he did to everyone he took from. It would be right to take everything from him, give the leadership of his various corporations and interests to the next in line and leave him in the streets to suffer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Mark

Now that's a good post.

Just a general note that applies in all directions whether it be Slattery or Joe Blow down the street: I don't care who you are and/or what you own. I could care less what warbird or how many warbirds you own. If your a crook your a loser. Plain and simple. Unfortunately there's a lot of rich losers out there. Such is the world we live in.

My walls are pretty high at my compound.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:00 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

While some folks seem to think Slattery deserves a free pass no other reason than he's into warbirds I just don't see it that way!
IT'S NOT OK!!! In my world were my wife has been ill most of her life and is disabled and is on medicare. The medicare that is running
out of money and is tightening it's belt making even getting a new cushion for her wheelchair an ordeal. White-collar criminals (even
those who spend their stolen $ on warbirds) should be stripped of everything they own and sent to prison. It's not funny and it's not a joke.
Everything he spends his stolen money on has a stink over than in my mind will never go away!

One of the best comments I've read on this crook is
Quote:
He extolls the virtues of the "Greatest Generation" using money he stole from them, their
children and grandchildren? Hopefully there is a special place in H*ll for him and his ilk...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

No different than the Whittington brothers. (busted for selling drugs, spent lots on Warbirds).

"Got to be an important person to be in here, honey
Got to have done some evil deed
Got to have your own harem when you come in the door
Got to play your harp until your lips bleed.
They say that patriotism is the last refuge
To which a scoundrel clings
Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king."

Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:59 pm 

It ain't over until it's over. Slattery made the DOJ look like chumps. The govt can out last anyone if they want to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Guess we'll have to see if he and his aircraft are no longer invited to or accepted at airshows.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)