Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

We lost two good people yesterday in the crash of a P-51 in Arizona. Jeff Pino, former President of Sikorsky Aircraft and the P-51’s owner, and Nick Tramontano my friend.

I knew Jeff from the Air Shows and events we put on over the years at Sikorsky Memorial Airport here in Connecticut. I will say I knew him, but he was more of an “air show” friend. He flew a beautiful antique Howard DGA and was also a pilot for “Eagle One” the local police rescue Huey.

Early this morning, when I found out from Jared Growlis, that Nick was the unidentified passenger, my heart dropped a beat and I sank in my chair. Nick has been a friend for years. Many may not know Nick, but many in the Warbird community do. A real New England fixture, he was the kind of Warbird guy that was always there, but never took the limelight. A real old time, radial engine guy. If you had a problem, Nick would be there as soon as he could to help out. He never refused a request. Not from me at least. Whether it was just bringing his beautiful Twin Beech to one of our shows, or asking to use his SNJ as a photo ship for the 2010 Corsairs Over Connecticut show, he didn’t hesitate. And always, Nick had a smile on his face.

Here’s what our mutual friend, Craig McBirney said today about him,
“He is one of the original "old school" round motor guys. He joined the Navy as a teenager, and was professionally trained to maintain and operate them. He forgot more about the engines than any of us will learn in a lifetime. What I call a "blue collar pilot", who worked his way up to Captain at FedEx, with no college degree. I never saw him without a smile on his face, and a kind word to all around him. Never.”

I would have lunch with him several times a year and we’d swap stories. (he had way more and better stories than I did!). Sometimes he’d take my grandsons up for a trip in either the Beech or the SNJ. They even went on a re-positioning flight in a C-47 while I drove to the final airport to bring them all back to Oxford. Of course, then we’d eat lunch!

I can go on, but I won’t. I’ll probably add more stories as time passes and I hope some of you who knew Nick, will add some stories too. I think hearing stories makes the sadness hurt less.

I leave everyone tonight with the photos I’ve posted and a story.

In response to the tragic school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012, The Connecticut Air and Space center arranged a private display during the Christmas break for the survivors of that horrible day. Sikorsky was able to arrange a brand new Black Hawk to be there but we needed more. When I asked Nick if he could bring a plane down to Stratford for the day, during the busy Christmas week, he didn’t even hesitate. He asked me “When do I need to be there?” It would be hard, since the hangar was iced in, so-to-speak. My grandson Chris and I had to help him chopped the ice from the base of the hangar door to get it to open so we could get the Beech out at Oxford. We made it. He let the children and their parents tour the aircraft. That is the Nick I knew.

I am devastated. I will miss the flying, I will miss the events, but most of all, I will miss my friend Nick.

Blues skies and tail winds my friend.
Godspeed Nick and Jeff.

Nick and I after a lunch "date" last August.

Nick and Craig McBirney at a special Sandy Hook event in 2012. Nick was always willing to give.

Nick and our mutual good friend Glenn Goldman.

More photos here. https://www.facebook.com/jerry.oneill.5 ... 691&type=3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:15 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Im very sorry Jerry..............he sounded like a heck of a guy and will surely be missed. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks Nathan. I wish everyone could've known him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice post Jerry. I'm sorry you lost a friend. Sounds like Nick was a great guy and a helluva an airplane nut. I'm sure he'll be missed by many.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19 pm 

Jerry,

You and I have been talking all day today about our friend. Here is what I posted on Connecticut Corsair's Facebook Page:

I was devastated to hear the news that Jeff Pino, former Sikorsky Aircraft President, had died in his P-51 in Arizona yesterday. I had only met Jeff once, but felt the loss deeply due to my close working relationship with Sikorsky. I reached out to my friend Nick Tramontano, as I knew Nick and Jeff were close friends. I did not hear back from Nick last night, and this morning I learned that Nick was with Jeff in the P-51.

I have known Nick for 25 years, as he and I met while we were both flying B-24s on the airshow circuit. Nick enlisted in the US Navy as a teenager, and was trained to maintain and operate radial engines, "Round Motors" as we call them. He was truly one of the original "old school" engine men, and forgot more about engines, airframes, systems and flying than most of us will learn in a lifetime. His experience, technical ability, and willingness to share anything to do with flying made him a mentor, a friend and an inspiration to generations. He rose to the rank of Captain at FedEx, not bad for a kid who started out turning wrenches as a junior enlisted man in the Navy.

Nick trained me and others on the intricacies of bringing the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major to life. Anytime we asked for his help, he would show up. And every single time I saw him, he had that smile on his face. I can still see him walking towards me on the ramp, smiling as he approached, ready to lend a hand. I have always said that every time I advance a throttle on a Pratt engine, I think of all of those brilliant engineers and talented craftsmen and women who made those round motors make music. And now, I will feel Nick's hand on mine as I push up the throttle and hear his voice offering advice and wisdom. And I will see that smile. Godspeed and Blue Skies, Nick.

(I don't know how to upload photos to this site, as I seldom post. I also don't know too much about Facebook, but if you want to see the photos of Nick, locate Connecticut Corsair on Facebook, as we posted the photos we have on hand of Nick). Thanks, Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My deepest sympathies and condolences on the loss of your friends.
This never gets easier.

Andy Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Beautiful and heartfelt sentiments Craig.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

It is such an honor to have people like Nick in this world and it hurts even more to see them go. Thank you for sharing those thoughts with those of us who did not know him. God bless.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry for your loss :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Prayers and Condolences to the family, friends and the aviation world for the loss of these two souls.

Vayan Con Dios

Jesse Chavez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:13 am 

Sorry for the loss of your friend, may he rest in peace.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:47 pm 

Very nicely put Jerry.

He will be missed.

Glenn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sorry for your lose Jerry... :cry:

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:51 am 
Long Time Member