Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:57 am 

I have confirmation from ACC that they are NOT sending any F-4's to Oshkosh at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 am 
z24nemesis wrote:
I have confirmation from ACC that they are NOT sending any F-4's to Oshkosh at this time.

That's a shame. Hope it changes.

But in any case, this year's EAA AirVenture is looking to be an outstanding one and better than average in my humble opinion.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Probably self-evident, but nice to get confirmation that D-Day veteran C-47 "That's All Brother" will make the pilgrimage all the way from Basler Turbo to the west ramp at Wittman! :drink3:

The CAF presence has been growing noticeably over the last few years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am 

Just got my PTO time at work approved so I can make it to Oshkosh! One of many obstacles I have to work out before I can go :? . Not sure if I will be flying or driving up with my group this time around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

While appreciating some Cutty over ice tonight, I began a mental inventory of anticipated mediums:

Confirmed:

"Yellow Rose"
"Devil Dog"
"Panchito"
"Russian to Get Ya'"
"Betty's Dream"
"Georgie's Gal" (I think)
"Silver Dragon"
Lewis A-20

Regulars:
"Paper Doll"
"Lady Luck"

Hoped For:
PBJ "Semper Fi"

Any way you slice it, that's a lot of round! Now, whom have I missed?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:53 pm 

Whilst chug-a-lugging some Laphroaig - straight - it occurred to me there are no new Mustangs this year. When is the last time that happned?

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:54 pm 

Is it just me or are Oshkosh announcements a little quiet this year?

Does anyone know how many Corsairs are attending? I only know of one for certain.

To me the warbird attendees seam to be a bit vague. Although this is my first time attending, perhaps I'm not as patient as I should be. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:46 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Scooby wrote:

Does anyone know how many Corsairs are attending? I only know of one for certain.

To me the warbird attendees seam to be a bit vague. Although this is my first time attending, perhaps I'm not as patient as I should be. :)

Warbird attendance is always vague. Cost, maintenance timing, weather, pilot availability, and a gazillion other things mean attending isn't always the easiest thing, even if you want to attend.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thinking of Oshkosh, and Mustangs...

Last year, both of the restored combat-vet P-51D's "Sierra Sue II" and "The Brat III" were in attendance. At one point, both were even flying at the same time during the show (on taxiing-out, only separated by one Mustang). I was wondering then, if perhaps anyone realized at the time how significant that could have been made, having both of those aircraft together, and flying no-less, at one place (furthermore, if both could have been flown in formation together for some air-to-air photography - even perhaps a magazine article on the subject). The reason being is that both aircraft served in the same Fighter Group, the 370th, at the exact same time, based/operating from the same forward airfields in the final few weeks of WWII ("Sierra Sue" was in the 402nd Sqd., and "The Bratt" was in the 401st), and both are painted to appear as they looked then. Both aircraft would have likely been flying together in the May 7, 1945 "V E DAY" formation flyover performed by the 370th FG (just ahead of the true VE-Day), over the Advanced Landing Ground Y-99 near Gütersloh, Germany. Following the end of WWII, both aircraft went to the Swedish AF together as well, but were then separated after that - "Sierra Sue" going to the Nicaraguan AF and "The Bratt" going to the Dominican AF, and then following vastly separated civilian paths. Both aircraft served together in the final weeks of WWII, and are real survivors, not data-plate rebuilds, with both still containing the majority of their original metal (or at least I know "SSII" does). Perhaps if both aircraft come together at Oshkosh again this year, something can be arranged to make more of it - a real "reunion". (Furthermore, the P-38J currently under restoration for the Flying Heritage Collection (formerly with the CAF), has also been discovered to be a 370th FG combat vet, and the plan is to paint it in its original markings when completed). And if the P-47 "Dottie Mae" was completed in-time, and debuted at Oshkosh (with every year I hope), there'd be another original 9th AF combat vet in attendance besides. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

John I guess these (rather nicely done) renderings will have to do ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for sharing those Mark :D ...yeah, I wanted to see what it would look like for myself, even if only simulated.

Really hoping to get out to Oshkosh this year - was going just about every year for quite some time, but haven't been able to make it since 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:19 pm 

Scooby wrote:

Don't fret too much, there will be plenty of warbirds to see! 8) Last year was my first year to attend and the sheer amount of planes, forums, exhibitions, demonstrations, and stuff to see was overwhelming. I spent the better part of 5 days just wandering around in "awe". This year since I know more of what to expect I'm going to review the schedule and try to attend more forums and see different presentations. Different planes come and go throughout the week so always take the opportunity to view a plane because it may leave. It seems like last year that most of the warbirds were there all week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:44 pm 

Kyleb wrote:
Scooby wrote:

Warbird attendance is always vague. Cost, maintenance timing, weather, pilot availability, and a gazillion other things mean attending isn't always the easiest thing, even if you want to attend.

I should know this, I nearly attended in 1993. The Sunday night before the event a P-51D owner called me and asked if I'd go to Oshkosk with him. His regular AME was sick and couldn't attend. I wasn't able to get a leave pass approved overnight and I didn't want to go AWOL.

I could have arrived at Oshkosh in the back-seat of a P-51D!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Add one Helldiver.

http://www.dixiewing.org/OSH2016/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:45 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Add one Helldiver.

At Fon du Lac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next