Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Add Charlie Cartledge & his TBM.

Adding up the Wright Cyclones...ran out of fingers and toes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:07 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Dan K wrote:
100th Anniversary of US Coast Guard Aviation to be celebrated

That blue Retro HC-144 and the MH-65 in retro white with orange are currently sitting at Sun N Fun show Lakeland Florida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am 
Senior Moderator

Looking forward to seeing what the Coasties bring!

The USCG has started painting their C-27J's....spotted this one recently.

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:07 pm 

We haven't pushed this too hard until now, but wanted to pass along an exciting event we are planning for AirVenture 2016.

EAA Warbirds of America is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the U.S. Army's 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers, which is regarded as the birth of the Grasshopper or L-Bird.
All owners of WWII era Grasshoppers are invited to participate by bringing their military marked Aeronca, Interstate, Piper, Stinson, and Taylorcraft aircraft to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016. Warbird aircraft parking will be limited, so be sure to pre-register with EAA Warbirds.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... 56312&_z=z

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi, back in 2007 I wrote a couple short pdf pieces on camping at Airventure, perhaps they are of help to first timers, the links are at http://warbirdnotes.blogspot.ca/2016/04/oshkosh-airventure-camping-guide.html.. or https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDWiH81DPrPMURzMUpwYUk0Rnc/view and https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDWiH81DPrPeDdxSjRyXzhjdVU/view

I'm planning to go this year!
cheers - ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:08 am 

z24nemesis wrote:
We haven't pushed this too hard until now, but wanted to pass along an exciting event we are planning for AirVenture 2016.

EAA Warbirds of America is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the U.S. Army's 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers, which is regarded as the birth of the Grasshopper or L-Bird.
All owners of WWII era Grasshoppers are invited to participate by bringing their military marked Aeronca, Interstate, Piper, Stinson, and Taylorcraft aircraft to EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016. Warbird aircraft parking will be limited, so be sure to pre-register with EAA Warbirds.

How about an L-21? We are bringing our C-123 up there and I have been thinking about flying the L-21 up myself but it is Korean era.

Static: F-4C Phantom II, F-15A, T-3 Provost

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 am 

How about an L-21?

Tyler, I have asked the guys upstairs. While the focus is really celebrating the 75th anniversary and ultimately the WWII birds, we wouldn't discourage you from attending. I wasn't able to confirm with the Warbirds folks as far as L-bird parking as they are wrapping up Sun N Fun and have not arrived home as of yet. I will check on that for you and follow up when i hear something.

Not sure if you know about it, but about 20 miles east of Oshkosh during AirVenture, the Super Cub guys have a get together. One of these years I am going to get over there to check it out, but i have heard nothing but great things about it. It is at the New Holstein airport 8D1. No info yet on 2016's event, but this can get you started...

http://www.supercub.org/NewHolstein/8d1faq.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:36 am 

z24nemesis wrote:

It would be great if the L-1 would return.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

hurricane_yank wrote:

I wonder how soon Pat Harker's (C&P Aviation) L-1 is to being completed/flying (I believe it to be the one at American Aero Services)? As I recall, Harker plans on having his newly restored L-5 at Oshkosh this year, with a unique, authentic paint scheme which will be sure to get attention (not the usualy OD/grey). Harker happens to own a Stinson-trio of L-birds - the L-1, the L-5, and the L-13.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:51 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
hurricane_yank wrote:

I wonder how soon Pat Harker's (C&P Aviation) L-1 is to being completed/flying (I believe it to be the one at American Aero Services)? As I recall, Harker plans on having his newly restored L-5 at Oshkosh this year, with a unique, authentic paint scheme which will be sure to get attention (not the usualy OD/grey). Harker happens to own a Stinson-trio of L-birds - the L-1, the L-5, and the L-13.

Is that the old L-1 out of Alaska, or another one? Does anyone know the status of the L-1 that used to be in San Antonio?

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 am 

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... hkosh-2016

We have been working on this for a few months now, but the announcement just came out!!

The gigantic Martin Mars aircraft, the world’s largest flying water bomber and the last of its kind, will make its first trip to Wisconsin to participate at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016, the 64th annual Experimental Aircraft Association fly-in convention, will be July 25-31 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. During the event, the massive airplane will be parked near the EAA Seaplane Base on Lake Winnebago, just a few miles east of the main fly-in grounds. It will also fly several demonstrations throughout the week during the daily afternoon air shows.

The Martin Mars is the largest flying boat ever flown operationally, with a height of 38 feet, a length of 120 feet, and a wingspan of 200 feet (approximately the wingspan of a Boeing 747). Only six of the massive aircraft were built, with Coulson Flying Tankers of Port Alberni, British Columbia, owning the two remaining examples since 2007 and using them as water bombers on forest fires throughout the western United States, Canada, and Mexico.

“There aren’t many airplanes that have never been to Oshkosh, but this is one of them, so this is both literally and figuratively a huge addition to this year’s lineup,” said Rick Larsen, EAA’s vice president of communities and member programs who coordinate features and attractions at AirVenture. “Among flying boats, only the legendary Spruce Goose is bigger, but the Martin Mars is the largest ever to be operational on a regular basis.”

The Martin Mars was originally built as a long-range U.S. Navy troop and freight transport to fly between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, and first flew in 1942. The conversion to water bombers gave the aircraft the ability to carry as much as 7,200 gallons of water, enough to cover 4 acres of land in a single pass. When picking up water, the Mars can ingest more than a ton of water per second as it skims across a waterway.

“This is the last flying Mars in the world and the largest warbird ever built,” said Wayne Coulson, chief executive officer of Coulson Flying Tankers. “There isn’t a better aviators venue than EAA AirVenture, so it’s an honor to be part of this world-class event. We’re very excited to bring the Hawaii Mars to Oshkosh as we look for new opportunities and host potential clients, as well as showcase this magnificent airplane’s capabilities.”

As the Martin Mars is a true flying boat, it cannot land at Wittman Regional Airport and will instead land on Lake Winnebago. The exact arrival and air show demonstration dates will be announced as they are finalized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

z24nemesis wrote:
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/04-14-2016-worlds-largest-flying-water-bomber-coming-to-eaa-airventure-oshkosh-2016

We have been working on this for a few months now, but the announcement just came out!!

The gigantic Martin Mars aircraft, the world’s largest flying water bomber and the last of its kind, will make its first trip to Wisconsin to participate at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016.

Might as well dock her at Wendt's for the beer-battered perch! :drink3:

http://www.wendtsonthelake.com/

Last edited by Dan K on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OH. MY. GOD. :supz: :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm 
Was tentatively planning to attend - Just became a DEFINITE!

Fantastic news - assume this will be the Philippine Mars stopping over before going on to Pensacola?

:D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm 

jwc50 wrote:
Was tentatively planning to attend - Just became a DEFINITE!

Fantastic news - assume this will be the Philippine Mars stopping over before going on to Pensacola?

:D

Apparently it will be Hawaii Mars. I think I might have to find a way to attend the event. This could be an epic year.

Will

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next