Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:00 pm 

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had some specific info as to what warbirds will be participating at the upcoming 2015 Wings Over Houston airshow. I know the website mentions LSFM, TX Flying Legends, Collings, Rod Lewis, Vietnam War Flight Museum, and Cavanaugh but I’m not having much luck finding out WHICH warbirds from these organizations will be participating.

Thanks!
VB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:53 am 

I have no inside information, but thought I would respond since no one else has chimed in.

If the efforts from last year are repeated, what I heard was enough money was spent on the Vietnam war demonstration to preclude Fifi from being invited. And, Fifi's winter maintenance began before the Airshow date. I realize there is only so much money in the pot, but Fifi is a BIG draw. Maybe that is part of the problem...... a BIG draw requires BIG $$$? I don't know. All this is just my $.02 and a fan's perspective. Personally, I want to see any and all WWII aircraft, flying and static. Tora is always on the schedule, thankfully. There is always going to be an aerobatic act or two. Lately, the jet cars/trucks get some time on the schedule. It seems there is always a push for at least 1 demo from the military and a jet demonstration team, i.e Blues or TBirds. Cold war, Korea, and Vietnam era aircraft are very much welcome in my book too. I know the organizers have to draw the line somewhere, but if you bring them, they will come right? How do we get more money in that bucket to bring as many planes/acts as possible, which should bring more $ at the gate, concessions, merchandising, etc? Besides money, what is needed to take WoH to the next level. I know I'm throwing a lot out in the wind, but I've been going to WoH for 25 years and would like to see it continue to grow and get bigger and better.

I'm sure others on this board have insight, like RickH. He seems to have a pulse on the goings on with Houston aviation. I think he's involved with Collings and hopefully he can provide some scoop on WoH 2015.

Tommy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 am 

Not to be overly cynical, but the bottom line, literally, for big shows like WOH is that most people go to 1) get out of the house for a day, usually with their kids, and 2) see the Blues/Thunderbirds. There's a definitely a subset of folks who go to see and appreciate the warbrids, and to a lesser extent the aerobatic acts (of which I am previously guilty of being one), but for most folks, that's all filler until the afterburners light up.

I have certainly appreciated the many times FIFI has come to WOH, but, whether it's a B-17 or B-29 or C-54, the majority of the people in the crowd will point at it and tell their kids "look at the B-15! We bombed the crap out of France with those in 1947!" :wink:

Of course, the more tickets sold = more money in the coffers of the sponsoring warbird organizations, and that's always a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 am 

maradamx3 wrote:
I realize there is only so much money in the pot, but Fifi is a BIG draw. Maybe that is part of the problem...... a BIG draw requires BIG $$$?

Yep, you nailed it. The Midland CAF Airsho last weekend is a prime example; this was not the usual big CAF HQ show, it was done by the High Sky Wing with an apparently smaller budget. The Thunderbirds were there as the Big Draw, but you're right, they cost Big $$! The result of that was evident on the warbird ramp. It was a bit sparse; for fighters it was a P-51, P-39, A-1 Skyraider. The bomber ramp consisted of 2 B-25s, A-26, C-60. Then the usual T-6s, T-28s, L birds and acro acts. Methinks the T-birds plus a B-1 on static display took up most of the budget for the show, so there just wasn't much left over for a big warbird presence. It was still a good, fun show though, but I am sorta surprised that I haven't seen a single pic posted from the warbird side...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:07 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

RV8er wrote:
maradamx3 wrote:
I realize there is only so much money in the pot, but Fifi is a BIG draw. Maybe that is part of the problem...... a BIG draw requires BIG $$$?

Yep, you nailed it. The Midland CAF Airsho last weekend is a prime example; this was not the usual big CAF HQ show, it was done by the High Sky Wing with an apparently smaller budget. The Thunderbirds were there as the Big Draw, but you're right, they cost Big $$! The result of that was evident on the warbird ramp. It was a bit sparse; for fighters it was a P-51, P-39, A-1 Skyraider. The bomber ramp consisted of 2 B-25s, A-26, C-60. Then the usual T-6s, T-28s, L birds and acro acts. Methinks the T-birds plus a B-1 on static display took up most of the budget for the show, so there just wasn't much left over for a big warbird presence. It was still a good, fun show though, but I am sorta surprised that I haven't seen a single pic posted from the warbird side...

Some of your points are valid. However, the show was great with less, albeit with interruptions by the airliners. High Sky Wing did a fabulous job putting on this show and we all appreciated their efforts. There was record attendance, surpassing several of the past years, even with sprinkles on Saturday (The show must go on :D ) Yes, a demo team is a draw but the people came early and often to also enjoy all the planes that were there performing and static.

Oh and BTW there are pictures and videos of the show all over FaceBook :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

For those of us who "don't do" FB (I can never figure out how to navigate it), could you provide a link, please? Thanks!

Also, where was the '39 from, wasn't the San Marcos bird was it? I haven't poked my head in there for a year now, have completely lost track of their doings. :(

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:25 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Pogo wrote:
For those of us who "don't do" FB (I can never figure out how to navigate it), could you provide a link, please? Thanks!

Also, where was the '39 from, wasn't the San Marcos bird was it? I haven't poked my head in there for a year now, have completely lost track of their doings. :(

The 39 is from San Marcos. I would link stuff on FB but not sure it would be accessible to those not registered. Never tried. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable with this process for linking FB material might be able to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:25 am 

Sure would be a great opportunity for Mr Lewis to display his beautiful new A-20. Hint Hint.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Looks like WOH wants the CF Me 262 .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 am 

RickH wrote:
Looks like WOH wants the CF Me 262 .

That would be cool! :supz:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:06 pm 

As it is a little less than a month away, I thought I'd bump this back into rotation and see if anyone has contributions to make.

So far - maybe the CF 262.

Any other ideas/info?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:23 pm 

You can most likely count on most of the usuals that show up each year. The big iron would be the following:

Full Tora compliment of Kates, Zeros, Vals

Texas Flying Legends:
B-25
TBM
P-51, possibly 2
Corsair
Zero
P-40, possibly 2
Maybe Wildcat

CAF:
Texas Raiders B-17
Yellow Rose B-25
Helldiver
P-40
P-39

Lewis:
I've heard both Tigercats and Glacier Girl

Collings Me-262

Lone Star:
The past couple of years has been the B-17, B-25, and Corsair. No idea if the 47 will be done at Ezell's in time.

Sometimes airplanes come in to hang out for the weekend with the Flying Legends guys. In the past that has included Conrad and Greg Shelton in their Wildcats and a few guys in their Mustangs. You might see the Mustang Pecos Bill, and since David Martin is flying his Breitling acro you may see Happy Jacks Go Buggy also. I've noticed it tends to show up at some Texas shows he is performing at. That's all I know of at the moment, but that list is only an assumption on my part because those are airplanes we have grown to see every year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52 pm 

Lewis should bring his A-20, would be a great show, heck P-38 and A-20 would be amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:18 pm 

Thanks for the info, Ryan!
Keep it coming, folks.

Is an appearance by the A-20 at all likely?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:53 pm 

Probably not, seems Rod is bringing two Tigercats and Glacier Gal. Cavanaugh may send their acft!