Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Facebook posted that Stow officials are trying to hamper the operations of the Collings Foundations because Stow officials "Don't consider them of an educational basis".

:roll:

Whats all going on?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

From their Facebook Page:
Quote:
Based in Stow, Massachusetts, the Collings Foundation (501c3) is recognized internationally for the preservation, exhibition and operation of unique and rare historic aircraft and organizing educational living history events. The Stow museum features an incredible collection of over 75 classic automobiles, historic aircraft, tanks, military artifacts and machines.

We are in the process of expanding the facility to build the American Heritage Museum. This will be a state-of-the-art museum that will feature America’s history in the periods of WWI, WWII, Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War and Gulf War. Military artifacts will be presented in a museum environment that is both educational and captivating.

Over the last two years we have been dealing with the mind numbing process of getting the approvals needed through the Stow boards. Apparently, the Planning Board of Stow are the only ones who can dictate what is considered educational. After two years of Planning Board meetings, the board has determined that museums are not educational. The Collings Foundation had another meeting with the Stow Planning Board Wednesday, July 29th. In a three to two vote the Planning Board made the determination that the Collings Foundation’s living history events, staff and docent tours, preservation and exhibition of historical artifacts and aircraft, school tours, STEM programs, Veteran round-table discussions, and so on – are not educational. Sorry to say, we are not making this up. More so, two out of the three on the Planning Board of Stow, Massachusetts who say our programs are not educational and mere “entertainment” – have never attended a living history event or public tour at the Collings Foundation’s museum! Wow....

Most recently, the building inspector usurped the Massachusetts Department of Transportation’s Aeronautics Commission in regulating aviation. After 37 years of continuous flying from our Stow property, the Stow Building issued a cease and desist order against the Foundation on March 26, 2015 prohibiting take-offs and landings.

Roughly 95% of the Collings Foundation’s flight operations happen during our Open House / Living History events that total six days of the year. People from Stow and all over New England have enjoyed the fantastic experience of flying in these aircraft for years.

We operate in compliance with all FAA regulations and the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission has long approved our airfield. The Aeronautics Commission, in fact, notified the authorities in Stow on May 5, 2015 that the bylaw the Building Commissioner relied upon for his actions was “invalid and unenforceable.” (I have the letter if you want to see it)

Litigation that concluded in 2004 in Middlesex Superior Court confirmed that our operations were in compliance with the bylaws. The Town of Stow’s Zoning Board of Appeals was a party to that action, and it defended, at considerable taxpayer expense, the Collings Foundation’s activities as being in compliance with the bylaws.

Ironically, the very same Town Council who then defended our airfield use is now taking, in the absence of any changed circumstances, but in the face of the same considerable expense, the contrary position that our activities violate the bylaw. No, you can’t make this stuff up!!

Our second living history event called Race of the Century happened on July 25th and 26th. A major part of this event is the exhibition of one of the oldest flying aircraft in the United States – a 1909 Bleriot. National Geographic TV had planned to document this incredible feat of early aviation. After all these years, it is a terrible shame that we could not fly this amazing machine for all to see.

This is just a sampling of the nefarious actions the Stow boards have created in their “selective” governance. We can’t begin to express our most deep disappointment in the town’s elected and appointed officials. What the heck is happening with this town? Is this the sign of things to come once our WWII Veterans are gone? According to the Stow Planning Board, anything that should be considered educational must have Planning Board approved curriculum and testing at the end.

Such a sad state of affairs. Are you as upset as we are with this? Contact the officials in the town of Stow and let them know what you think. As always, it is the people who support educational foundations like the Collings Foundation that make a difference.

Board of Selectman: selectmen@stow-ma.gov 978.897.4515

Town Administrator: townadministrator@stow-ma.gov 978.897.2927

Building commissioner: building@stow-ma.gov 978-897-2193

Zoning Board of Appeals: townclrerk@stow-ma.gov 978.897.8780

Any questions? Call me directly.

Hunter Chaney
Director of Marketing
Collings Foundation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You are totally welcome in Wendover, Utah. Easily the most original WWII airfield in the states left and the county and city would have NO issue with you coming here. So its a bit of a move. . . . LOL.

Realistically I would say maybe tell Stow officials and the county to stuff it and move to Worcester or somewhere close but not in their city.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Yup, I'd be on the phone with every major New England media outlet letting them know the Collings Foundation was looking to relocate their world class facility, bringing $X hundred thousand dollars worth of positive economic impact to whichever community wishes to host them, as the Town of Stow is no longer interested in honoring the veterans who proudly served this great nation.

Make them look as bad as humanly possible (which won't be hard!) in as wide a market as possible, and be sure to name names. The following will be likely to happen:

- the CF gets a massive publicity boost and is able to tout their educational value to a much wider audience
- the CF will be able to entertain new and more attractive offers from other New England locales who would love to have that sort of attention, and
- the administrators of Stow will wind up looking like complete toolbags and may find themselves crawling to the CF for forgiveness. If the CF leaves the town, you can bet there will be a political furor over letting that kind of attraction be driven out of town.

Go for the throat, folks- don't let these jackwagons win.

Lynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:55 pm 

Do they have a STEM Program? That certainly should satisfy the board.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rockford lost to Oshkosh for EAA Airventure, as it is now known.

Also, Slattery is moving his museum out of state.

Stowe is such a small grass strip, similar to Rhinebeck. The locals probably have no care about STEM or world class education/history.

VL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Massachusetts politics are pretty simple. You get to know the right people, find out what they want, promise it to them, then give it to them, and then you can commit public indecencies and get away with about anything. If you violate the process in any way, you are out of luck and will be stopped cold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Since I know nothing of the subject other than what I've read, I should probably just keep my mouth shut. But, as usual, I can't.

Perhaps, as with many cash-starved communities these days, the city officials of Stow would prefer that someone build a shopping mall on that piece of land. They could certainly reap (or would that be "rape"?) a treasure chest's worth of tax dollars from a big commercial venture.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:05 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Or....

Remember the "Revolt in Athens, TN"

http://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/tnrevolt.shtml

Change starts local after all.

Or...
mover to Free(er) American like I did.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 pm 
KiwiZac

seabee1526 wrote:
Do they have a STEM Program? That certainly should satisfy the board.

From Hunter's post:

"In a three to two vote the Planning Board made the determination that the Collings Foundation’s living history events, staff and docent tours, preservation and exhibition of historical artifacts and aircraft, school tours, STEM programs, Veteran round-table discussions, and so on – are not educational"

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:01 pm 

K5DH wrote:
Since I know nothing of the subject other than what I've read, I should probably just keep my mouth shut. But, as usual, I can't.

Love that quote, and I'm stealing it to use here. Oh yeah, IANAL disclaimer also.

It appears that the zoning dispute revolves around whether or not the Collings Foundation is an educational org WITH RESPECT TO Massachusetts' 'Dover Amendment', which shields non profit educational organizations from most zoning laws. It seems that the intent of the law was to protect non-profit and religious schools and colleges from local zoning restrictions. But it was very broadly written, and coverage now seems to be dictated by court cases.

Obviously, in all other circumstances, Collings is a world class educational org. I got my first B-17 ride on 909, and I really appreciate their dedication to getting Shady Lady back in the air. I wish them well.

Planning board meeting - http://stowindependent.com/planning-boa ... ly-29-2015

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Note to Collings officials:

It's easy, I'll help you move. Give me a call and I'll trailer the Stutz Bearcat wherever you need it.
Better yet, I'll drive it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm 

Very short sighted on the planning board's part. Collings is a world class organization. Don't they have a presence in the Houston area? If they can't get the planning board to change their mind, then they could pull up stakes and take ppotential tourists with them.....to Texas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

deskpro590 wrote:
Very short sighted on the planning board's part. Collings is a world class organization. Don't they have a presence in the Houston area? If they can't get the planning board to change their mind, then they could pull up stakes and take ppotential tourists with them.....to Texas.

No!!!!!! Texas has enough warbirds! Stay local in New England. I bet you could grab a whole lot of seeing and pituresqe land in upstate Connecticut! :wink:

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:59 pm 

Warbird Kid wrote:
deskpro590 wrote:

No!!!!!! Texas has enough warbirds! Stay local in New England. I bet you could grab a whole lot of seeing and pituresqe land in upstate Connecticut! :wink:

Amen to that Chris! Plus don't you guys have plenty of room in that old Vought/Sikorski plant??? I'm sure Bridgeport/Stratford would love to have them!