Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What's unfortunate is that there is actually some constructive critique in some of the responses but you completely dismiss it as whining. Some of the people you are describing as whiners are those who actually have a hand in providing vehicles and equipment for events at Castle Air Museum. I just don't see the need to attack those who are simply commenting on the strategy, making comments how it can be done otherwise, and voicing discontent about the approach. They are commenting on the situation and you are making it personal by calling them whiners, trying to call them out telling them that unless they are willing to go volunteer at your museum in person that any concern they have is illegitimate. You want everyone else to be respectful while you make all sorts of accusations and generalizations about their character and intent . The problem is that you have no idea who most of these people are, what their contributions are to the warbird community or even Castel Air Museum specifically.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 pm 

rwdfresno wrote:
What's unfortunate is that there is actually some constructive critique in some of the responses but you completely dismiss it as whining. Some of the people you are describing as whiners are those who actually have a hand in providing vehicles and equipment for events at Castle Air Museum. I just don't see the need to attack those who are simply commenting on the strategy, making comments how it can be done otherwise, and voicing discontent about the approach. They are commenting on the situation and you are making it personal by calling them whiners, trying to call them out telling them that unless they are willing to go volunteer at your museum in person that any concern they have is illegitimate. You want everyone else to be respectful while you make all sorts of accusations and generalizations about their character and intent . The problem is that you have no idea who most of these people are, what their contributions are to the warbird community or even Castel Air Museum specifically.

Thanks for that rwdfresno. I have had a rather crappy week, guess I let it get the best of me. I've edited some of my posts.

To anyone else I may have offended, my apologies as well. I hope you understand it happens to the best of us, and I am several steps below "best".

As far as the issue at hand goes, I really just had the answer to someone's question, and was simply trying to help him understand the thought processes that go on behind the scenes. Agree or disagree, this is what museum boards think about. I have never been, nor will I ever be on a board so should someone have a major issue with a museum, that's the place to handle it. Complaining about it on an internet forum solves exactly nothing (but does contribute to high blood pressure) :)

Good evening, all :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thank you Spectre. I hope your week improves. Don't worry about it, I wish I had $1 for every timenive had to apologize for getting my feathers ruffled in a web forum. For the record, I love Castle Air Museum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 am 

By way of contrast to the SAM 27000 policy, my experience at the Air Mobility Command museum couldn't have been better. A docent saw me with a camera and asked me if I wanted to get pictures inside the C-47. I said "sure", and he gave me a terrific, knowledgeable tour. Before I exited, he made sure I had gotten enough pictures. That's the kind of visit that makes me want to go back! I also made sure to leave a good donation.

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:28 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Judging by a post on the Museum's Facebook page yesterday, the policy doesn't seem to be working:

"Not a very good day at the Museum today, only 8 people visited the VC-9."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sounds like they could use a better social media policy too! I would phrase that, "Great day at the museum today! 8 people toured the VC-9!"

August

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Mike wrote:
Judging by a post on the Museum's Facebook page yesterday, the policy doesn't seem to be working:

"Not a very good day at the Museum today, only 8 people visited the VC-9."
You must be unfamiliar with the Central Valley climate. It was a lovely 107 degrees out. We are an outdoor museum. We get more visitors in the rain than in the heat of summer. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:00 pm 

k5083 wrote:
Sounds like they could use a better social media policy too! I would phrase that, "Great day at the museum today! 8 people toured the VC-9!"

August

Yeah, ::: sigh :::. The page you are reading is an unofficial page. It's a "Friends of" closed group. The museum has no control over it and doesn't post there directly. The post you read was likely put there by a volunteer docent or something (I don't know the poster).

The museum's official Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/castleairmuseum.

YES!, It is very confusing, and I know the museum is taking steps to rectify the issue. Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Spectre_I wrote:
Yeah, ::: sigh :::. The page you are reading is an unofficial page. It's a "Friends of" closed group. The museum has no control over it and doesn't post there directly. The post you read was likely put there by a volunteer docent or something (I don't know the poster).
I see that kind of thing all the time. These 'friends of' groups sometimes have no connection to whatever they're aligning themselves to at all, yet the title suggests they do.
For example, I know of someone with a small collection of railroad equipment and there's a facebook page for the 'friends of' group for it. I asked the guy about that one say and he said, "Oh, those guys? I've never seen one of them ever come over here, and for sure they've never called, written or emailed offering to help. I have no idea who any of them are!" He was understandably upset that they used the name when they zero connection to him at all. He said he's been meaning to ask them to either quit calling themselves that or scheduling work parties for them so they can honestly call themselves that.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:29 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

p51 wrote:
You know, little, unheard of places that never get many visitors. Like the museum of flight in Seattle... :roll:

Last time I was there I asked to go to the higher up balconies where the offices were to take pictures looking down on the aircraft (normally off-limits). They were very accomodating!