Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: So who is doing the NASCAR Fly-By this week..........?

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:49 am

JohnB wrote:
b29driver wrote:Just curious how Bandit Flight Team was able to legally do fly over in "Experimental" category airplanes. pop2

Aren't some warbirds "Experimental" as well...or at least limited or restricted. Is there a difference for a display?

The answer is yes, some warbirds are other than experimental. Most of those that aren't experimental can be used for flyovers.
T-6's, P-51's, B-17's, B-25's are some examples. Experimentals, by way of regulation and their operating limitations are not.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:10 am

To set the record straight here's what actually happens. I am involved with fly-overs. You have probably seen the video from my GoPros in this thread and UTube.
People have asked about experimental AC and the operating limitations. While most are interpreting them correctly you all are missing a key element. In order for us to participate in the fly over of a crowded event all the functions I have been involved with(as lead) require a background check AND approval from our friendly TSA in DC. Then the local FSDO where the event takes place requires all the usual paperwork like copies of Pilots lic, medical, aircraft info etc etc. When the FSDO AND TSA approve it all it's considered a one time waiver to the "Normal Operating Limitations".
I'm sure you all have your opinions on this and that's fine, I'm simply telling you how it is in the real world. My wife will tell you it's a lot of paperwork and she graciously accomplishes it for our team.
Chuck

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Chuck,
Check you box, I sent PM.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:13 pm

3 Texans flew for the race today. The rainout caused the C-17 to cancel.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 am

F4U-1 wrote:To set the record straight here's what actually happens. I am involved with fly-overs. You have probably seen the video from my GoPros in this thread and UTube.
People have asked about experimental AC and the operating limitations. While most are interpreting them correctly you all are missing a key element. In order for us to participate in the fly over of a crowded event all the functions I have been involved with(as lead) require a background check AND approval from our friendly TSA in DC. Then the local FSDO where the event takes place requires all the usual paperwork like copies of Pilots lic, medical, aircraft info etc etc. When the FSDO AND TSA approve it all it's considered a one time waiver to the "Normal Operating Limitations".
I'm sure you all have your opinions on this and that's fine, I'm simply telling you how it is in the real world. My wife will tell you it's a lot of paperwork and she graciously accomplishes it for our team.
Chuck

You may want to check with AFS-800 in DC as there is some question as to if the local FSDO has the ability to offer the exemption to operating limitations to do the fly-overs. I guess there have been some operators that have been getting nice letters from our friends at AFS-800. It seems to be like a lot of other areas within the FAA where there are differing opinions at the local level and the national level as to who has the ability to offer exemptions to operating limitations.

Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 pm

This weekend is Talladega AL, no flyby

Sat May 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Charlotte, NC - four F-18s will fly over the legendary 1.5-mile super speedway.
- 4 F-18's from VFA 103, Naval Air Station Oceana, VA

Tue May 26, 2015 4:18 pm

I think I saw a C-46.... :)

Phil

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Tonights IndyCar race in Texas had a fly over of three T-6's and the C-47 from Cavanaugh Flight Museum.

Re: So who is doing the NASCAR/IRL Fly-By this week.........

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 am

And a excellent job they did :drink3:

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:05 pm

C-17, With (4) Pratt's on Sunday..... :)

Phil

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:20 am

The military is approving more and more flyovers for this type of event now that the "sequester" is all but forgotten. Unfortunately that means the warbird acts are being put back on the back burner as more and more of these flyovers are done by the military. Was fun (all except the paperwork part of it) while it lasted. Guess we will have to wait for the next government funding shut down for the venues to come back to the warbird industry for their flyovers.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 pm

- 6/14, Brooklyn, MI, - 4 T-34s Mentors from the Hooligan Flight Team.

Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Scheduled for the NASCAR Cup race at Sonoma this Sunday 6-28. Flyover should be shortly after 2PM Central time:

Flyover: P-40N Warhawk, three P-51D Mustangs; Vintage Aircraft, Schellville Airport, Sonoma County

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:52 pm

No flying today(sat), just the warbirds from Vintage Aircraft on display. And I screwed up and left my camera in the truck at the track (but still carried my camera bag :? ), so no pictures of the NASCAR cars on track. :(

The TP40N

George Perez's Mustang

Ed; the other two Mustangs for the flyby are to be "Speedball Alice" and "Lady Jo".
Post a reply