Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Soplata Collection Sold?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:50 am

Screen shots of a film taken at the Soplata property show the fuselage of an AD-5 Skyraider. All the lists call it AD-6 135273, which doesn't add up. Anyone have the correct answer?

Thanks,
Ken

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:03 am

The soplata collection is currently available for sale.....

Yes, this includes the Skyrader which was a prototype.....

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am

bsoplata wrote:The soplata collection is currently available for sale.....

Yes, this includes the Skyrader which was a prototype.....

Big news!

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:36 am

Besides the Skyraider, what others are still in the collection now?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 am

I am both happy and sad. I was kinda hoping for a really cool and wacky museum to appear one day. Well now we get to see exactly what's there. I was just thinking about the O-52 Owl the other day, which I think has been gone for a long time. Just wondering how it is coming along. All things Soplata is my main big kick hanging out here at WIX, and it's been slim pickings the past few years. Open the floodgates! I'm in Ohio, would love to see the place in person....

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am

Currently B-36, C-97, Skyrader, F-86 A & D, BT-12.13 & 14, Cutlass, TBM, SNJ, P-47, AT-11, Twin Beech, DC-7, Neptoon, Spirit of Painesville, B-52Cockpit, P-38 Wings, etc..... Please send all inquires to. Soplata Collection, PO Box 65, Newbury, OH, 44065.....

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

Mixed emotions here too: it will be sad to see it go, though ultimately provided none of it goes for scrap, one would hope it will secure some very rare stuff for restoration.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

We are trying our best to see them go to good homes..... The B-25 is in New York being restored.....

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Thank you Soplata family for making this collection available for purchase. It’s very wise as the warbird movement has matured and who knows if Generation X, Y, millennial sect. Will have the same passion to invest in these historic artifacts. Your dad was a fascinating person and he successfully saved many items and planes.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

The aviation community owes your family a great deal! Thank you!

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm

bsoplata wrote:Currently B-36, C-97, Skyrader, F-86 A & D, BT-12.13 & 14, Cutlass, TBM, SNJ, P-47, AT-11, Twin Beech, DC-7, Neptoon, Spirit of Painesville, B-52Cockpit, P-38 Wings, etc..... Please send all inquires to. Soplata Collection, PO Box 65, Newbury, OH, 44065.....

Incidentally I think that the F-86A (also reported as an F-86E) is actually an F-86F (ex-OH ANG recruiting aid?). Would love to know if you have an i.d for it though! (my theory is it's 51-13123).

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:08 pm

That bird is still kind of surrounded by stuff that needs to be gone threw..... I know it came from Akron, but it will be a while before I can get the ID.....

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm

A big thank you to the Soplata family for allowing these artifacts to go to other groups and people who will adore them every bit that Walter did.

I'm glad I had a chance to meet him and have a tour of his treasures, but also look forward to seeing them take to the skies again someday.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Good to see it finally happening.
The viable projects deserve a good home.
Sitting outside for another 50 years wouldn't be good for them.

Now what's to be done with the odd parts, very rough/incomplete projects (aka junk)?
Well, I suspect enthusiasts will have a chance to put their money where their mouth is.
And like we've seen before with aircraft everyone wants but few want (or can afford) to pay for, they'll be scrapped.

I agree, Walter and his family did great work...(anyone have a list of the aircraft saved by the family that are now in museums or being restored?) but this is probably overdue.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Best wishes and thanks for saving all those aircraft!
I didn't know about the P-38 wings - did they come from a civilian plane or military scrapyard, or were they an unused set?
Post a reply