Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

...as one of their articles. 8am CST. Sorry for the late hedzup, just woke up from a nap and found it. :roll:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks. I always DVR the show anyways. :drink3: :drink3:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So happy to see a positive warbird story on during morning prime time viewing. Show just started and had some good footage in the opening segment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
Thanks. I always DVR the show anyways. :drink3: :drink3:

Yup, normally it's part of my Sunday morn coffee but I didn't re-awake in time. Usually catch it with On Demand next day if I miss it. Luckily they had a clip with article at the CBS site for those that missed it or our out of country friends. Dunno if this is all of it....
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restoring-a ... ation-gem/

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I enjoyed watching the segment. Again it was mentioned Doc is the last restorable B-29 left in the world. I know this has been talked about here before but doesnt Kermit have a complete B-29 he could put back together one day? How about the on recently listed for sale on the Aero Trader website?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:36 pm 
KiwiZac

He sure does - Fertile Myrtle.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
I enjoyed watching the segment. Again it was mentioned Doc is the last restorable B-29 left in the world.

Pat, I've figured when this has happened in past instances the organization(s) are playing on the lack of knowledge or distinction to the lay potential donor in a bit of a marketing ploy to entice those folks "to hurry and get in line and help to save this last one." Collings still adverts "Witchcraft" to be the last flying B-24J in the world...potentially to a public that doesn't know an A from a J. I figure there's no harm done. Possibly there's someone out in the desert hiking and stumbles upon "Myrtle" exclaiming, "Look, we found one more, this is the last one, we gotta.....!" :D

Was the CBS link the whole coverage that was broadcast this morning?

DBF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In addition to "Fertile Myrtle", Weeks owns one or both of the two never-restored disassembled B-29's in Aero Trader's care/storage as well - 44-70049 and 44-84084 (one of which was offered through Aero Trader a number of years ago as a contract-to-restore project). All of the parts are there to get another one put together, but it would require another mammoth undertaking to get one fully restored, let alone flying again.

The news story of "Doc" on the CBS Sunday Morning show today was great, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much air-time they allotted the piece.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:09 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
In addition to "Fertile Myrtle", Weeks owns one or both of the two never-restored disassembled B-29's in Aero Trader's care/storage as well - 44-70049 and 44-84084 (one of which was offered through Aero Trader a number of years ago as a contract-to-restore project). All of the parts are there to get another one put together, but it would require another mammoth undertaking to get one fully restored, let alone flying again.

Thanks for joggling my memory John. It was the Aero Trader B-29 stuff when musing on the mythical hiker eureka moment...IIRC, Borrego Springs? I forgot Myrtle was complete in Florida.

Yes, I thought CBS did a nice job of reporting "Doc's" reawakening and the folks around her..mmm, err, him...err..

DBF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:53 pm 
KiwiZac

airnutz wrote:
Yes, I thought CBS did a nice job of reporting "Doc's" reawakening and the folks around her..mmm, err, him...err..

Can someone answer this for me? Is Doc a He or traditional She?

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/restoring-a ... ation-gem/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:39 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

KiwiZac wrote:
airnutz wrote:

I dunno, if He's a She..She's very butch! pop2 Mazzolino was no help. When Doc became airborne he exclaimed, "It's up by God, it's up!"

DBF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Miss America and Doc. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVnHunjYO6s

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

When I hit the powerball there will be a call to Aerotrader and a third flying B-29 and another guy making a small fortune on a warbird. . . . out of a big fortune LOL

Tom P.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
KiwiZac wrote:
airnutz wrote:

I dunno, if He's a She..She's very butch! pop2 Mazzolino was no help. When Doc became airborne he exclaimed, "It's up by God, it's up!"

Hmmm, when our crew was flying Doc, I caught myself saying "she" a few times.