Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

On Saturday, December 27, we brought some life back into the C-97.

After long preparations, hoses being changed, plugs, compression tests, and a plethora of other items, we drug her outside and fired her up.

Report: Everything seems fine SO FAR. We ran #1, 2, and 4 engines. #3 is still awaiting some propeller work before we try her.

But.. So far, we have a new gripe list to work from. Some instrumentation is inop, and the #2 cowl flaps arent working right, but other than that, we are happy with the results.

I posted some photos and video on WIX Facebook, and a few other groups. These are crude and shot with my iPhone from the cockpit.

A better series of media will be released soon.

So, at the moment, we have 3 running R-4360s. One to go....

Our next steps are getting #3 engine prepped for start, then getting satisfied with their performance and the items on the ‘gripe sheet’ are addressed satisfactorily.

This is a monumental step for this program, but we still have many obstacles to overcome before flight.

To help us speed this process up, please consider donating to Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation on behalf of the C-97.

Our address is
Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation
PO BOX 782
Farmingdale, NJ 07727

Alternatively, you can donate via PalPal through our website at http://www.spiritoffreedom.org or simply use the email airlift48@aol.com (It’s the same)
Thanks for your support, and I hope you enjoy my poor videography.

There are 3 videos contained in this link, We actually started #4 first, so that's the long process trying to get it going. Contrary to what the 'experts' have said on FB, we were not yet in danger of burning up the starter. Close, but we were within limits. The other #4 video was just prior to shutdown. The last video was, I believe, the 30 inch check on #1. I did not video #2, as I was running out of room on my iPhone. I can tell you that while it took a little while to start #4, #1 and #2 lit up as if though they had been run earlier in the day. (Not too bad considering it had been 12 years).... enjoy!

http://www.spiritoffreedom.org/mpegs/#4.mp4

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

Last edited by Airlift48 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 pm 

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing her back in the air.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Fantastic!! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great news! Appreciate updates and photos here when you get a chance. I only facebook to spy on my kids.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 pm 
Outstanding to see the great progress made toward putting the C-97 back in the air.

The folks at the BAHF are doing some amazing work on this very unique warbird transport and I highly recommend supporting this project if you are able to contribute anything at all.

What a sight and sound it will be to someday see this amazing airplane flying at air shows.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What percentage of Berlin airlift flights were made with C-97's? When you look at video footage of the airlift, you mostly see C-54's along with C-47's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Kevin, other than your C-97 and the one on display at the NMUSAF, are there any others that survive?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:06 pm 
Pat Carry wrote:
What percentage of Berlin airlift flights were made with C-97's? When you look at video footage of the airlift, you mostly see C-54's along with C-47's.

The BAHF's C-97G is painted to represent the sole Stratofreighter that participated in the Berlin Airlift - a YC-97A.

According to this link, the YC-97A flew 23 missions in the Airlift during 1949:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... t/c-97.htm

As you say, the C-54/R5D along with the C-47 were the most numerous types involved. The C-74 Globemaster I was another sole type that participated in the Airlift.

Last edited by jwc50 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:09 pm 
Pat Carry wrote:
Hey Kevin, other than your C-97 and the one on display at the NMUSAF, are there any others that survive?

According to Wikipedia, there are NINE surviving C-97 airframes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-9 ... ofreighter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:26 am 

Quite a discrepancy between the Wikipedia list and the warbird registry.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/c97regis ... istry.html

One I see missing off both lists is the one at Grissom.

http://www.grissomairmuseum.com/gallery ... d/plane-16

There were quite a few airframes in the Greybull thread from the other day also:

http://www.ruudleeuw.com/usa14-greybull.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:39 am 

The one at Grissom is a KC-97. The KC's are listed separately. There are 22 KC's scattered around the world.
Some of the info listed is incorrect about them. Empty weight of KC-97L was 100,000+, not 82,500. Cruise was 270 not 230.
Crew did not include Radio Operator.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:15 pm 

There were a couple KC's on the Wikipedia page so I didn't catch there was a separate page for the tankers. 52-2718 started life as a KC but I see it's listed on both pages.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:10 pm 

Thanks for the update, Kevin, and 100 USD donation just sent (hoping all small bits help).

I'm really looking forward to seeing you arrive at Oshkosh - I do hope you will be able to make it! (and if the organisers want to use your presence for advertising purposes, do insist on being allowed to arrive on 36L during airshow time, so we can take proper photos - I'm fed up with them attracting visitors with all kinds of unique aircraft and then parking those aircraft in some impossible corner from before the start of the convention till after the end)

By the way, if you're coming to Oshkosh and the 'daddy' of the C-97, viz. the B-29, is coming as well, then wouldn't it be nice if the son of the C-97, viz. the NASA Super Guppy, also came? Anyone with connections at Ellington Field to get that ball rolling?

Good luck with the rest of the restoration,

Roger

Post subject: Re: C-97 Update 11/18/15
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:56 pm 

Wednesday, we performed a taxi test on the C-97. Lots of things worked properly, a few didn't.

We still have a pretty smoky #3 engine, but we have some external oil leaks we need to address. Still, we may have a stuck oil ring or something. All of the engines are making good power. So.. we press on.

Otherwise, it went pretty well. Not too much longer before we can fly it.

No, I don't know exactly what date. Its way too soon for that. Maybe before the New Year.

More updates will come as they happen.

KK

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tremendous news, Kevin! Wishing BAHF nothing but CAVU and tailwinds for getting your C-97 airborne.

Now, WIX usually doesn't start "talkin' Oshkosh" until at least December, but I couldn't help note that Jack Pelton stated that OSH 2016 would be celebrating 100 years of Boeing. As the temps begin to drop here in the upper midwest, I can't help but feel the warm fuzzies of multiple, multi-engined Boeings gathering for brats & beer at the Mecca of all things aviation. Sure would love to see a bunch of maroon flightsuits join the party! :drink3: