Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:56 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Never too early to talk Oshkosh. July 20-26 this year. Doc and Fifi are rumoured to be attending. Add the F-86A recently imported from the UK to the list of attendees...

Quote:
An F-86A Sabre built in 1948 is the world's oldest flying jet, and recently arrived back in the United States after several decades in Europe, EAA reported this week. The airplane, which EAA hopes will fly next summer at AirVenture, is the only surviving "A" model. Its service history includes Strategic Air Command, Air Defense Command and the California Air National Guard. It flew in defense of the Los Alamos nuclear research facility with the 94th Fighter Squadron of the 1st Fighter Group. The Sabre was later transferred to a technical college in Fresno, California, and then sold to a local scrap dealer, where it was bought by Ben Hall of the Sabre Pilots Association, in 1970. The jet was restored and flew again in 1974.

The airplane was brought to the UK in 1990 and spent 22 years flying on the European airshow circuit, operated by the Golden Apple Trust. Dr. John Swartz, of Afton, Oklahoma, an EAA member, recently acquired the aircraft and had it shipped to Heritage Aero, in Rockford, Illinois. The airplane will be reassembled and is expected to be flying by March, with a goal to be fully FAA certified in time to fly before the crowds at Oshkosh in July. A lengthy history of the jet can be found online here, and a 3-D tour of an F-86A cockpit is posted online here. The video was produced as a farewell to the jet from the folks at Golden Apple Trust.

Found it here:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Ol ... 261-1.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

This year will be my first trip to Oshkosh! Really looking forward to it. I will only be spending Monday-Tuesday there as part of a longer road trip, but just getting to spend two days will be awesome. I'm hoping the new P-51 restorations "Sierra Sue II" and "Berlin Express" will be making the trip this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We had to correct a line in there. It's not the only surviving A model. It's the oldest flying jet at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Warbirdnerd wrote:
Never too early to talk Oshkosh. July 20-26 this year. Doc and Fifi are rumoured to be attending...

But it's not a rumo(u)r. The B-29/B-24 Squadron website already states that FIFI is scheduling OSH for 2015.

You can also add:

B-25 "Panchito"
Fairey Gannet XT752

I'll leave adding up all the P-51, T-28, T-6, T-34 to others.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:46 pm 

My wife drags me to Oshkosh every year! This will be my fifth, and her 15th. we go for 11 days. I think this year we'll fly in instead of airlining it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:46 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

Fun speculation...If Yagen is bringing his Mosquito to Thunder, what are the odds that it will be on its way home from Oshkosh? The warbird judging is going to be really tough this year. Both Berlin Express and Sierra Sue will be contending for the top prize...unless Jerry shows up, and then there is Doc. It's going to be ALL about the details.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 pm 

Jim,

In 2015, Thunder over Michigan is not the weekend after "Oshkosh" but rather the last weekend in August, (29th-30th) to accommodate the Blue Angels,
so Yagen's Mosquito most likely won't be flying in to Willow Run directly from Oshkosh if it were to attend "AirVenture".
Todd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very proud to add my project to the list of cool events taking place at Oshkosh. We are hosting the reunion of Apollo 13. This includes members of the flight crew and mission control.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:45 pm 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

@Todd...unless it's left at Oshkosh until that weekend :)

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mustangdriver wrote:
Very proud to add my project to the list of cool events taking place at Oshkosh. We are hosting the reunion of Apollo 13. This includes members of the flight crew and mission control.

You WILL be bringing the crew over for brats & brew at WIXfest, right Chris? :wink:

And how could I have forgotten Aluminum Overcast?

Looks like the PB4Y-2 is just about ready to get airborne again down at Gosshawk as well...could be the makings of a "Viermot" invasion. :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:47 pm 

JimH wrote:
@Todd...unless it's left at Oshkosh until that weekend :) Jim

Jim,

I thought I covered that with the "most likely won't ..."!!! :) :)

Todd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:37 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Wasn't there a rather unseemly spat between EAA and Yagen over the Mosquito a couple of years back?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:42 am 

Excellent news, I have enjoyed watching the Sabre over the years in the UK and am pleased I will get to see it again this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:10 am 

Hmmm, hopefully a whole gaggle of N3N's will show up to celebrate the 80th year of the design. :supz:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am 

Thrilled to be attending my first Oshkosh in 2015.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/donate.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next