Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:45 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Canadians have been vacationing over there regularly. They never had an embargo AFAIK.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:01 am 

bdk wrote:
Canadians have been vacationing over there regularly. They never had an embargo AFAIK.

DANG ! bdk , I should have asked one to take Pic.s ! Would have saved the trouble putting up this thread! Matey ! RRRRR! Sorry! Sorry! I couldn't help myself!! :axe: I 'll behave myself Gents !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm all for grabbing whatever is available for grabbing, as long as its a fair and equitable deal for both parties. No one should feel ashamed for wanting to tap into a new resource that's been off limits for a half-century. If you think Commie central is going to simply let Americans "plunder" the place, then you don't know Commie Cuba. The promise of open trade is specifically what made the news, so if we find that the Cuban's desire money more than some outdated junk vehicles, then let's make a deal!

Makes you wonder what kind of WWII-era armor or other non-aviation items may be rotting away down there as well!

http://www.robmears.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One of my great time wasting activites is looking at google maps and spotting old planes at airbases. I'm likely not the only WIX'er who does this? :wink: I noted that there seems to have been a cleaning spree at San Antonio de los Banos air base in Cuba, or they pulled them into the shelters. Images from a few years ago showed a few dozen or so dumped MiG 23's and a few MiG 21's on the east side of the base. Empty now.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=2 ... 9&t=h&z=14

The outside museum

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=2 ... 8&t=h&z=19

A dozen MiG-21's at San Julian. Likely dumped

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=2 ... 4&t=h&z=17

Nothing but a display MiG 17? and some helo's in the open at Santa Clara

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cuban+ai ... 0&t=h&z=15

Did not check the other bases yet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:06 pm 

Thanks for the info s.d 89! Very, Very interesting!
YOU DA REAL MAN ROB!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:17 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Apart from the Seafuries on display at the' Bay of Pigs' and down town Havana, there is a comprehensive air museum on the outskirts of Havana, with Russian and US types, P-51, Invader etc.

Rescue? No chance. :D

PeterA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 pm 

Thank you Peter for that beautifully colored picture! Well Wixers what can I say, with the chance to travel to Cuba getting easier we can all have a chance to learn the Cubans secret to having warbirds outside for over 40+ years and in NO Need of help what so ever! All are in great shape!! Cool! What were you Canadians doing wrong that those Lancs on poles were/are in such need of help, it's all that cold weather & snow! Same goes for those RAF Gateguard Spits, too bad they didn't do the Cuban method, otherwise they wouldn't have need any work done to them when they came down, just think, they could still be up there with the Cuban method!Same goes to the Connecticut Corsair, looked just fine with that fresh coat of paint now & then, But the Cuban method would have kept her pristine! NO need for all that trouble to bring her down, man all you guys had to have done was " Gone Cuban" on her! "Hangers? We don't need no Stinking Hangers !!" Just think once we know the Cuban's secrets, DOC, FiFi, Lacy Lady, etc..will Never need to be brought in, again, with the Cuban method! They save Thousands in $$ not needing any climate control! So there you have it Wixers, the end of a VERY wrong thread! Boy! Did I EVER had my eyes opened! Can't wait to smoke a good one take in the lessons of 100% outdoor perfect Warbirds! Thanks ALL , I stand corrected! Sorry Rob! My bad! :drink3: Tony D.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:21 pm 

Yawn.. These photos came to me as I was making a lathe project of the 20MM Hisso gun barrel tip replicas for our Sea Fury. Where else are you going to find a full up Sea Fury with all of its original armament, to include rockets and rails for a reference? Heritage indeed.

"I do find it rather sad that the first thought on here is of plundering another nation's heritage. Perhaps we should stop them keeping pets too? ;)"

Last edited by Ken Dwelle on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:49 pm 

Last edited by Ken Dwelle on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:50 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

A few shots to get you Americans reaching for you passports.

PeterA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:02 am 

PeterA wrote:
A few shots to get you Americans reaching for you passports.

PeterA

Those planes seem to be in a very good shape, at least in a better one than some I have seen stored outside by some well reputed museums. When I see these pics, I can not imagine why they should want to sell them. BTW better keep them like that in Cuba, than let them rot away elsewhere!

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am 
S/N Geek

I have taken some time to reply to this thread so I could think about what to say. I have been to Cuba twice, in 2009 and 2012. Both times two weeks and my wife and I stayed in Varadero with excursions to Havana, Santa Clara, Hiron etc. We have enjoyed the beaches, walked around the markets, hiked in the mountains, but the best part by far was talking to the people. Most are wanting to talk to you and are interested to learn about where you have come from and are happy to tell you about their lives. Most Cubans don't have much, but what they do have is shared with their neighbors. It is a culture of helping out your neighbor when they need the help. One thing I have learned is there is pride.

I don't imagine the idea that aircraft need to be "rescued" would be very well received. As has been already pointed out their outside display are reasonably well maintained. There are many in MUCH worse condition outside in Canada and the USA. As citizens of our respective countries we do not hold the moral high ground of outside aircraft preservation.

As for what is out there, I have seen both Sea Furies, the Kingfisher, U-2 wreckage, Invader wreckage, MiG-21, etc. There was a museum in Havana which was closed a number of years ago. It was home to a P-51, A-26, T-6 among others. I have read the collection was moved to a near-by air base for storage. Hopefully they will be placed on display again one day.

I will try to get my pictures posted in the next few weeks. In the mean time you can find locations of aircraft stored and displayed in Cuba here...
ImageAerial Visuals Locator Search - Cuba

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Kingfisher looks great! Only Kingfisher survivor with wheels? The few other survivors all seem to be on floats. IIRC Jerry Yagan has one stashed away somewhere. Not sure if he would have it on wheels for ops out his grass strip in Virginia Beach- hope he gets to it someday.

Does the canopy on Sea Fury 542 look a a bit odd? Perhaps a home made representative "glass"? Not a criticsim, just an observation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:04 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

sandiego89 wrote:
Does the canopy on Sea Fury 542 look a a bit odd? Perhaps a home made representative "glass"?

The price you pay for exhibiting in the burning sun...corrosion minimal but all the perspex takes a beating.

The Cubans have done their best to replicate the glazing on several exhibits.

PeterA