Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: It's an XP-82 New Year
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is there a better way to start 2015?

http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot ... ation.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:57 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the link Dan.
Nuthin' like starting off the new year with some twin-mus-tangy goodness. Mmmmmm......... :lol:

Just imagine how much those katz have learned about restoration. :shock:
Tom Reilly is amazingly skilled.
This project never fails to blow me away!

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:43 pm 

Thanks for the update, Dan K.
@DH82EH: amazed at their progress and at their skills too. E.g. how they have been able to return the lower rudder boots to their original shape. Although I've often wondered: doesn't the skin lose some of its strength by first being mashed beyond recognition and then beaten back into shape? (Not an A&P, as you can see!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

In all honesty!!!!!

It took a LOT of man hours to design, draw and build this bird......

But what your limited team has accomplished with basic references is just amazing!!!!!!

Congrads and tks for sharing.

A true dedication of love and mega dough...... :drink3:

Happy new year to all.....

Michel

Last edited by Michel Lemieux on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great to see the progress continuing! The craftsmanship is amazing.

I totally empathize with the "hard to get to places". Being fairly small (5' 6", 140 pounds) and still fairly limber in my mid-40s, my niche with the TBM that Jack Kosko and his crew restored was being able to wedge myself and manipulate tools into places that the larger and older volunteers simply couldn't get to. For instance, I have an unusually intimate familiarity with the tail wheel well of a TBM. With the Bobcat's canvas covering not yet attached, those services haven't been needed this time around!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:57 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

XL446 wrote:
Thanks for the update, Dan K.
@DH82EH: amazed at their progress and at their skills too. E.g. how they have been able to return the lower rudder boots to their original shape. Although I've often wondered: doesn't the skin lose some of its strength by first being mashed beyond recognition and then beaten back into shape? (Not an A&P, as you can see!)

I have been able to observe the amazing craftsmanship of many folks and their metal working artistry thanks to the internet. :wink:
I have also learned a very basic bit of sheet metal skills. I have an A&P but believe me, this by no means makes one a craftsman.
If you like learning about restoring rare / unique machines, take a look at the work being done by the Barracuda team in the U.K.
http://barracudaproject.co.uk/index.php?id=19
This machine is not being rebuilt to fly. It is however being rebuilt using nothing but original Barracuda material from collected wreckage. :shock:
What these folks are able to tease out of a corroded smashed lump is nothing short of mind blowing.
They are also able to take advantage of techniques that would not be used in an airworthy restoration, such as welding. It's O.K. though, because the alternative is to have the "Barra" remain extinct. The writing in their diary is most enjoyable. Full of dry British wit.

One of the things that most impresses me about Tom Reilly, is the seemingly endless knowledge he must have learned! WOW! To complete a project like this you have to be really driven. As Tom said in an earlier update "...only working half days, just 12 hours!" :lol:

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 am 

Fantastic craftsmanship. This aircraft is a true work of art.

I'd love to see the Harker (sp?) group start a thread like this, so we could follow both restorations.

Chappie