Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just wondering if the following wings are still in existence; The Great Planis Wing in Iowa, the Hawkeye Squadron in Iowa, the Memphis Squadron in Tenn, the Big Thicket Wing in Texas and the Yellow Rose Squadron in Texas. Either their websites have gone dark or they are not listed at all on the CAF's main website. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:47 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Not an expert; however, since Big Thicket in Conroe was the first CAF unit I belonged to, I can say it disbanded several years ago. I believe that Yellow Rose Squadron was absorbed or incorporated into the existing Centex Wing in San Marcos....but I could be proven wrong on that and others on WIX might clarify that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:53 pm 

Hi. I'm no expert and I can't speak for all the wings/squadrons you mentioned but I am very sure that the Yellow Rose Squadron has merged with the Centex Wing of the CAF. Check out the Centex Wing's Website for the latest info they have posted. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ober, care to chime in....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I can give you the phone numbers for a couple CAF experts...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Is the Golden Gate Wing still active too?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:41 am 

Hi Pat - I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. The Great Plains Wing is still active and have a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/CafGreatPlainsWing. They also have a website about the P-51 Gunfighter: http://www.p51gunfighter.com/. The Hawkeye Squadron is not active and the T-28A they were assigned came back to HQ several years ago and was finally assigned to the High Sky Wing who restored it and actively fly it. I'm not sure about the Memphis Squadron but the Sea Fury is shown to be assigned to a sponsor group based in Memphis, which may be the remains of the unit. As others have noted, the B-25 Yellow Rose is now assigned to the Cen-Tex Wing, and the Big Thicket Wing has been gone for some time. You can always get contact or other info from the staff at CAF HQ by calling 432-563-1000 during business hours. Hope that helps.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:51 am 

Mike - the Golden Gate Wing is still listed on the CAF website but I had to Google to find their website at http://www.goldengatewing.org/base/base.cfm. Currently I don't show any CAF aircraft assigned to the unit. I'll mention this to our web manager but it may be a case of just not getting the updated info in a timely manner.

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Randy Wilson wrote:
Hi Pat - I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. The Great Plains Wing is still active and have a facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/CafGreatPlainsWing. They also have a website about the P-51 Gunfighter: http://www.p51gunfighter.com/. The Hawkeye Squadron is not active and the T-28A they were assigned came back to HQ several years ago and was finally assigned to the High Sky Wing who restored it and actively fly it. I'm not sure about the Memphis Squadron but the Sea Fury is shown to be assigned to a sponsor group based in Memphis, which may be the remains of the unit. As others have noted, the B-25 Yellow Rose is now assigned to the Cen-Tex Wing, and the Big Thicket Wing has been gone for some time. You can always get contact or other info from the staff at CAF HQ by calling 432-563-1000 during business hours. Hope that helps.

Randy

Thanks Randy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 pm 

Hi Folks,

Just a little bit to add... The golden gate wing did have a white/red SNJ5 that did go back to the CAF HQ
and ultimately was re-assigned to us here in CAF WI wing, based in Waukesha, WI. We've put a bunch
of money into her and she's now flying regularly in airshows and honoring vets at manly local events here in wisconsin, including the yearly Oshkosh Airventure.

Mike,
I did go to the Golden gate wing site to look for older pics of our plane, and although I didn't find any pics I did notice that under the speakers link they appear to have a monthly meeting with some very interesting
speakers. Thus those in the SFbay area may have a nice shot to get together and hear some cool history
being discussed.

Perhaps some of you guys based in the bay area / sacramento may have some pics to share of our SNJ5 from earlier airshow days ... say 2010 or earlier perhaps?

ps. Pat Carry, you're welcome to come up the road to waukesha and visit and see the planes sometime if you like... myself or possibly scott dennison would be happy to show them to you...

take care,
Henning
CAF Pilot, PT26 Cornell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Yes, the Golden Gate Wing is still in existence, and has a monthly dinner and speaker at the Alameda Naval Air Museum. They do not have any aircraft anymore, besides the SNJ, they also had to return their T-33 and I believe their MiG went to the Castle Air Museum in Atwater, Ca (ex Castle AF Base). Next Sunday, Dec. 7th is their annual Christmas Party at the ANAM.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:30 pm 
Aerial Pirate

henning wrote:

Perhaps some of you guys based in the bay area / sacramento may have some pics to share of our SNJ5 from earlier airshow days ... say 2010 or earlier perhaps?

take care,
Henning
CAF Pilot, PT26 Cornell

Here's a quick picture of the SNJ at a TRARON FAST clinic at Castle Airport 2005, print film scan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 am 

Thanks so much buddy! bet you had to dig for that!

henning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:49 pm 
Aerial Pirate

this was the easy one to find, more modern than that, and I would have a difficult time.