Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08 am 

Hi guys

Long time lurker, first time poster. I live in Hong Kong, but I'm just back from a family holiday to South Korea. During our travels I got to spend a few hours looking around the KAI Aerospace museum at Sacheon (west of Busan), fairly small by US standards, but with a couple of interesting aircraft on display. The F4u is in pretty sorry condition, and desperately needs some TLC, large areas of the wing skins appear to sheet iron pop riveted into place! The B29 appears fairly complete from what I could see through the green house, and is in reasonable shape, it along with the C124 were in the midst of a 'Dulux overhual' .
Hopefully the photos attached will show up ok!

ImageIMG_0679.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0675.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0670.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0669.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0664.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0660.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0662.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0637.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0630.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0695.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0694.jpg by AirFrameImages, on Flickr

Last edited by Dazza on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 am, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 am 

Ok, I give up, how do you post a photo up from flickr?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:42 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

You're pretty close. Here's how:

1. Go to your Flickr page and click on the photo you want to post.
2. In the lower right corner there's a star, an arrow, and another arrow pointing down at a line. Click on the arrow pointing at the line.
3. There will be a command box with different sizes listed; the last one is "View all sizes" - click on that.
The photo will come up with a list of sizes - choose the size you want (I use Medium 800 here) and click it.
4. When the photo comes up, right-click on it. A box will appear; left-click "Copy Image Location".
5. Go back to the Post Message page here on WIX. Click the "Img" box.
6. Center the cursor between [img]and[/img], left click, then right click. Choose "Paste" and left click. The URL of the photo will appear.

Thanks for the images!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Nice to see the B-29...rare to see. It is amazingly complete for having come out of China Lake. A little bit of silver over-spray on those props :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am 

Great photos thanks for posting. Does anyone know what that cool little liason plane is?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:22 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

the nicest looking C-124 in the world. Amazing a foreign country put more interest and care in a C-124 then the ones in the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nathan wrote:
the nicest looking C-124 in the world. Amazing a foreign country put more interest and care in a C-124 then the ones in the U.S.

Agree. Pima tries to keep theirs nice, but the sun takes its toll. I've been meaning to see the one at McChord, I've just seen long shots of it.

And I see you can go in this one. I wonder if it still has the "old airplane smell" I recall 124s having when I was a kid and went into them at open houses?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnB wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Agree. Pima tries to keep theirs nice, but the sun takes its toll. I've been meaning to see the one at McChord, I've just seen long shots of it.

And I see you can go in this one. I wonder if it still has the "old airplane smell" I recall 124s having when I was a kid and went into them at open houses?

The C-124 at the NMUSAF is in fine condition as well...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

APG85 wrote:
The C-124 at the NMUSAF is in fine condition as well...

Being indoors, that goes without saying. I believe it's still in natural metal finish, probably the only one.

My father flew them back in the 50s, I still have his Dash-1...and a 1/72 scale metal factory desk model made by Allyn (IIRC).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm 

I grew up under the pattern foe Richards Gebaur airbase in Kansas City. I will never forget the C-124's flying over. The sound would drown out any conversation. We never even thought to complain about something so cool.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for posting, welcome to WIX.
Robbie 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 pm 

Versatile wrote:
I grew up under the pattern foe Richards Gebaur airbase in Kansas City. I will never forget the C-124's flying over. The sound would drown out any conversation. We never even thought to complain about something so cool.

and this Radio Operator said a prayer everytime before takeoff.

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:26 am 

Adam Kline wrote:
Great photos thanks for posting. Does anyone know what that cool little liason plane is?

Adam,
Its called Buwalho. This one is actually a replica I believe.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:55 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for posting. Nice to see these birds.

Glad to see the silver paint going on Ole' Shakey. A good option for an outside bird of this vintage. Agree that the one at NMUSAF is immaculate.

As a point of disussion, the colors on the C-123 and the A-26 look a bit off to me. Think they used the same shades on both aircraft, but they do not look like the usual shades of SE Asia cammo, unless they used different shades in Korean Service- but from photos elsewhere the A-26 has US markings.

Please not a critism, I'm not the paint police: "close enough" cammo is better than exfoliation or badly worn paint. Most of the general public would never even notice, just the 0.1% here that have a Federal Standard paint fan deck in their drawer somewhere... which I just might...

Of course I would prefer 100%, but understand that original spec paint, especially matt, may not last as long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 am 

sandiego89 wrote:
Thanks for posting. Nice to see these birds.

Glad to see the silver paint going on Ole' Shakey. A good option for an outside bird of this vintage. Agree that the one at NMUSAF is immaculate.

As a point of disussion, the colors on the C-123 and the A-26 look a bit off to me. Think they used the same shades on both aircraft, but they do not look like the usual shades of SE Asia cammo, unless they used different shades in Korean Service- but from photos elsewhere the A-26 has US markings.

Please not a critism, I'm not the paint police: "close enough" cammo is better than exfoliation or badly worn paint. Most of the general public would never even notice, just the 0.1% here that have a Federal Standard paint fan deck in their drawer somewhere... which I just might...

Of course I would prefer 100%, but understand that original spec paint, especially matt, may not last as long.

I think this example is a B-26K Counter-Invader, circa Vietnam, which may explain the paint.

e: which raises the question, "uh, why is it in a South Korean museum then?" I guess.