Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:58 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

PBY...forgotten in St-Hubert, QC

16 years ago she was last flown in when retired. Sitting still since then.......

Compared to the Gannanoque ghost...it is a sad sight!

Canvas is brittle and damaged, lot's of major surface corrosion, a lot of dings and dents, etc.....

But as a water bomber, it's all there!!!!!!

Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:14 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/pbyregis ... f9830.html

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

At least it still survives!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
At least it still survives!!

Yes it does Steve......for the moment......

But like many birds, it runs the risk of being sold to the lowest bidder when it becomes a nuisance to whatever business operation that kindly host them for many years.

In this case. the PBY / Canso is located on a general area of the St-Hubert airport that is now mostly dedicated to the film industry in the airport. So who knows!!!!!!

There is also a DC-3 there (posting soon aslo on it) which was used often as a movie prop.

The same goes for a Bristol Viscount which was a resident for many years. (update it seems it does survive!!!! http://www.casair.info/realisations/Viscount/VISCOUNT.html)

As an example of do or die example...shameless link from Fly Past: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?132733-Save-a-Shackleton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well, she appears to be in somewhat decent shape-ish.

Based on the warbird registry page regarding this specific plane, it seems an organization owns it, and looks after it? I can only assume it is a small group with limited funds. That's too bad.

And, I assume that this PBY has been sitting for a great many years? Say, 12 years?

The problem with this big beautiful girls is that they're just so darn big! It takes a massive barn to keep them out of the nasty weather.

Cheers,

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:54 pm 

Great to see the Vickers Viscount dismantled and moved, does anyone know what the long term plan for it is?

Sad to see the PBY getting into such a rough shape, I hope her future is brighter than it appears.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Viscount is now in a school in Laval, QC. The Cegep Montmorency.

It is t be used as a fire training device for future firemen students....just hope it will not be set ablaze!!!!!????

Will try to get a look at it in the future.

Re-assembled:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:43 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

They will not burn it, they are using to teach the firemen how to approach an aircraft, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Ouffff....merci Olivier!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought I heard this one is tied up in government red tape. Seeing as she's apparently government property. Hence the "Gouvernement du Quebec" on the side?

I wonder what it would take for Taigh to get her in ferry-able condition.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I am also not too sure as to who owns the legal title of the Canso. Yup, could be a lenghty issue on its own.

Making it ferryable is one thing. The biggest issue would be recovering the canvas on the wing (which is far too brittle and gone). There is a LOT of canvas on a PBY!!!!

I would think that at least it means a wing removal.....at that point......why not do the rest of an IRAN.

But if you would see the amount of corrosion this poor girl has, I am not sure I would use this one as a starting point for a flying restoration. But hey I am not expert :wink:

The local harsh Canadian winters added to her operational career as a water bomber have not been nice to the old gal.

My 2 Canadian centavos!

Michel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 pm 

The registered owner of Canso A C-FPQK is Fondation Aerovision Quebec which is the museum that the aircraft was donated to after it was taken out of service by the Quebec Govt. So, I know of no reason why ownership should be disputed as suggested in earlier messages. The Government name is on the hull side because they owned it before it was given away and it has never been repainted although the Fondation' logo is on the forward hull. I believe the museum has since been re-branded as Quebec Air & Space Museum but is it actually open? Perhaps someone with local knowledge can comment. If it is not functioning, perhaps that is the reason why C-FPQK is in such poor condition.

Incidentally, the Warbird Registry site quoted earlier in this thread states that C-FPQK is a PBV-1A which is simply not true. That was a US Navy designation that was never actually taken up as all the proposed PBV-1As to be built by Canadian Vickers at Cartierville for the US Navy went to the USAAF as OA-10As and were never delivered to the 'Navy. In any case, the designation was not applicable to the Canadian Vickers aircraft built for the RCAF. C-FPQK was in any case built by Canadian Vickers at St Hubert and no US Navy 'Catalinas' were built there.

Author: Consolidated PBY Catalina - The Peacetime Record

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sad to see PQK looking so bedraggled. Here's the same Canso in happier days, visiting CFB Trenton for an airshow in the early 1980s...

Hope she gets the TLC she needs before it's too late! BTW, her sistership C-FPQL has been flying with CWH for nearly twenty years now.

S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

David Legg wrote:
...C-FPQK was in any case built by Canadian Vickers at St Hubert and no US Navy 'Catalinas' were built there.

Do the Canadian built aircraft conform to the US Type Certificate Data Sheet or would they have to be licensed as Experimental in the US?