Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 pm 

scrapped? are they that strapped for 5k in aluminum! if that! nuts!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:30 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Yes they are. Remember it's Guadalcanal not Palm Springs!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 pm 

has anybody stepped up and made the man in legal charge an offer on all the parts and pieces? who's in control of the reck and or has possession jack?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I'm not at liberrty to say..................

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 am 

Jack Cook wrote:
That's up in the air.
There's people there who want to preserve it and others there who want it scrapped for the cash.

Jeeeez!!! :shock: And I thought nonsense like this would only happen in India/Asia like the two Oscars that were just scrapped.

Hopefully a museum or collector with the means will get something going through channels immediately before this P-38 ends up as soda cans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm 

Jack Cook wrote:
That's up in the air.
There's people there who want to preserve it and others there who want it scrapped for the cash.

Tell them I'll give them 10K for it! A restored P-38 is for sale now at $7 million I'd think a wreck in this condition would be worth over a million!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:52 pm 

DoraNineFan wrote:
Jack Cook wrote:
That's up in the air.

Jeeeez!!! :shock: And I thought nonsense like this would only happen in India/Asia like the two Oscars that were just scrapped.

Hopefully a museum or collector with the means will get something going through channels immediately before this P-38 ends up as soda cans.

Who Scrapped Oscars? Are these people that uninformed! I mean I know these places are 3rd world but even they have the internet and can look up what a warbird sells for even as a wreck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jack, is there any chance the NMUSAF could get involved here? A combat veteran P-38 would be a major prize for the collection (plus free up 44-53232 for some other museum).

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

davidwomacks wrote:
DoraNineFan wrote:
Jack Cook wrote:
That's up in the air.

Who Scrapped Oscars? Are these people that uninformed! I mean I know these places are 3rd world but even they have the internet and can look up what a warbird sells for even as a wreck!

Info on the Oscars here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54256&hilit=oscar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:37 pm 

What some are missing is that plane was the tomb for Major Mathis. For the plane to be brought home, restored in its markings and placed in a museum to honor Major Mathis would be fine with me, but to have someone restore for flight and profit I feel would be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

wow - congrats for the hard work Jack. I am amazed at the level of preservation of the aircraft as well. I would think it should come home - part of me says to fly (airplanes were meant to fly) and part of me says static to honor the Major.

Tom P.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:38 pm 

Hemiman wrote:
What some are missing is that plane was the tomb for Major Mathis. For the plane to be brought home, restored in its markings and placed in a museum to honor Major Mathis would be fine with me, but to have someone restore for flight and profit I feel would be wrong.

As a pilot I can say if I ever die in a crash and someone recovers my plane that I would smile down on them as I watched it take to the air again to me there would be no better tribute!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 pm 

davidwomacks wrote:
Hemiman wrote:

As a pilot I can say if I ever die in a crash and someone recovers my plane that I would smile down on them as I watched it take to the air again to me there would be no better tribute!

Ditto!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:18 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Too bad Jack pulled the thread, I guess someone must have been way out of line & really ticked him off. I have known Jack for a long time, takes a lot to peehim off, but it looks like someone succeeded. :roll:
Thanks for the effort Jack,outstanding story, hope everything works out for the MIA, & family.
Robbie 8)

Last edited by Robbie Stuart on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Jack.

Sorry that some people have to be such A-holes.

I have learned multitudes from your generosity, with photos and knowledge you have shared here.

I've always enjoyed your postings and hope that a few idiots are not capable of ruining this place for so many who care.

Respectfully.

Andy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next