Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Probably not of interest to most, but I thought it was kind of neat. Yesterday while visiting the USS Hornet Museum up in Alameda CA I was given several hundred new (NARA archives) photos and videos. Some amazing stuff covering Air Group 11 from Guadalcanal to the end of January 1945. I have been looking for photos of any F6F Hellcat that my dad flew while with the CVG-11 VF-11 Sundowners off the USS Hornet in January 1945. I think I finally found one. It's actually a photo that I had already, but the resolution of this new photo is clear enough for me to make out BuNo 70675 #58. As you can see in my dad's logbook there are no ship #'s listed so it's been difficult to pin one down. Until now. (January 9, 1945 log entry). Anyway thought it was kind of cool to finally find a match. I think anyway as I've blown it up with a few programs and it sure looks to be 70675.

I'd be happy to post more photos if you guys aren't totally burned out by now.

Last edited by Mark Allen M on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Apologize, as it's much more clear looking on my computer before I load it into photobucket then post it on WIX.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

BTW there was some speculation that Air Group 11, during it's time on the USS Hornet, didn't have a night fighter wing. This photo below seems to prove otherwise.

VF(N)-174 I believe. Could be wrong here though. Can't recall what I was told the # was.

Dad mentioned playing football on the Hornets deck a few times. Again kind of cool to see photos of some of the things he stated. All new to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Mark,
I think it's really cool that you share your personal family connection with us.

Thanks for sharing that.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So what do you see happening here? A hard landing causing the left side tire to blow and the landing gear cover to fly off. You can see the tire blown.

A VT-11 Avenger doing it right

A VB-11 SB2C

A Vf-11 Hellcat wave off

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CVG-11 USS Hornet

Jim Swope in "Ginger 29"

Jim Swope in "Ginger 29"

Jim Swope

Jim Swope

Charles Stimpson & Jim Swope

VF-11 prang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The grand ole gal ... USS Hornet CV-12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So here's a shot of several VF-11 Hellcats warming up. To the left you see #58. Could very well be dad sitting in that cockpit, but you have to remember most of the VF-11 pilots flew several different planes as whatever was ready to go at the time was what they flew. You can see evidence of this in dad's logbook.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would say this was probably a pretty important job. Looks to be changing out a hook.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This was interesting. The Hornets ready room for VF-11. Dad sitting in the back right with what looks to be a cigar or something.

Me taking a photo of the same ready room yesterday. This ship was upgraded sometime in the 50's so it's a bit different.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The big ole gal today at Alameda.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hope you folks didn't mind the little stroll down memory lane once again. Today October 30, 1944 dad almost 'bought it' on the USS Franklin when this below happened. he was assigned to VF-13 Black Cats at this time during the second battle of leyte gulf.

Video here.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675 ... ing-planes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great photos. I think in research, there's nothing quite like the thrill of finding something you've been looking for, especially if it involves a loved one. Not warbird related, but I did some research into my grandfather's high school football career in 1929 and 1930, and actually found a couple clippings in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle where his name was mentioned. That was a great feeling.

To me, when you go and dig into the past and find stories and pictures of the people you're researching, especially if they've never been seen before, it helps bring them "back to life". I can't tell you how thrilled one family was when I obtained their father/grandfather's RCAF records and shared them with them. It was the one aspect of his flying career that he talked the least about and the one shrouded in the most mystery for his children and grandchildren. It enabled his children and grandchildren to get to know him, even though he had been deceased since 1957. And that really is what it is all about -- people.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very true indeed. It's also always a pleasure for me to be able to dig up some photos for folks who don't have the capacity to find things themselves. Nothing negative intended but this type of research is not for everyone. I'm always glad to try to help, especially the vets and family members.

http://www.eleventhemovie.com

If you take a look at the video above, around the 1:28 mark, you will see a pilot and his crew chief standing in front of his wildcat at Guadalcanal. This VF-11 pilot (who's name escapes me right now) was KIA shortly after this footage was shot. His wife was pregnant at the time of his death. His daughter had never seen footage of her father until a short time ago when the filmmaker presented it to her. Obviously a very special thing to happen. Powerful stuff.

BTW anyone here who happens to be in the SF Bay Area November 11th. You will have a special invite to the premiere from me if you would like to attend. PM me anytime for details if you like.
Many of the veterans in the film, family and friends will be attending as well. Pretty good size event going to happen. Very special event.

M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

These Hornet shots from my stash are newer than yours, but I'll toss 'em in - first three are from a schoolteacher's estate, circa 1954, crammed with planes passing under the Golden Gate:

(Wish the lady had focused better!)

Last two are from May 1965; Long Beach or San Pedro I think.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)