Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

Re: Yankee Air Museum announces new name

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Why are museum names being lengthened like this? I'm seeing a trend toward this in other fields as well, several non-airplane museums are also lengthening their names to downright silly lengths. Remember when museums used to have as short a name as possible? Those days are done, it seems...

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Steve Nelson wrote:Whenever the subject of overly convoluted and ostentatious "National" museum names comes up, I'm always reminded of this little spot I ran across some years ago in Chattanooga. As you can see, they ran out of room on the sign and had to extend the name onto the back half of the building. I couldn't even get the whole thing in the picture (sadly, we got there right at closing time so we didn't get to see what was inside.)

SN

I was there several years ago and took a bunch of pictures inside; I could email them if you like - PM me.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

No need, we'll be through there again at some point. My brother is a tow truck driver..I figure he'd get a kick out of it.

SN

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:35 am

p51 wrote:Why are museum names being lengthened like this? I'm seeing a trend toward this in other fields as well, several non-airplane museums are also lengthening their names to downright silly lengths. Remember when museums used to have as short a name as possible? Those days are done, it seems...

Museums are as fashion driven as clothing, and sometimes as stupidly. Impractically stupid is modified back, in due course, but museums just move very very slowly.

Regards,

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Kids, this is what happens when you get a large committee involved with running a museum and a bunch of donors from all around the region come together. Gone will be the days of the group that we knew as the YAM and hello to the days of unsecured municipal loans and thumbs in the proverbial "pie" of the museum. Does anyone see a pattern that reminds one of the former "National Warplane Museum"? I cringe to think what might happen with the flyable aircraft once the "caretakers of the dream" (Norm?) are gone West...

Just my .02...
Post a reply