Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 am 

Speeddemon651 wrote:
Thanks again for posting.

Does anyone know how many original 262's are still left in the world ? Do the Russians still have any ?

I always hope that at some point a large amount of warbird purchases or trades with communist countries will take place in the future to recover as many WW2 aircraft as possible that are being neglected or are in storage. The P-47 sitting outside the Chinese air museum comes to mind first.

Looks like there are nine, plus two Avia S.92 post-war versions. None listed as being in Russia. More treasures will come out of Russia, but remember that Stalin issued orders to scrap nearly all captured aircraft to modernize the Soviet jet air force.

Also there are the five replicas constructed by the Stormbirds project.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Speeddemon651 wrote:
Thanks again for posting.

I always hope that at some point a large amount of warbird purchases or trades with communist countries will take place in the future to recover as many WW2 aircraft as possible that are being neglected or are in storage. The P-47 sitting outside the Chinese air museum comes to mind first.

The P-47 (along with many others) has been moved inside.
http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/mos2013_day09.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:45 pm 

I know after WW2 most of the Mig technology came from captured 262's so I'd imagine there are a few sitting around in pieces somewhere.....

They defiantly keep anything US that is brought down (or crashed) over there, awhile back didn't a Lockheed designer or engineer get presented with a piece of the U2 or D-21 Drone (SR-71 type Mach 3 Drone, each one built crashed on it's own failures). I can't remember who it was, I just remember it the premise from a interview on youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:56 pm 

Speeddemon651 wrote:
I know after WW2 most of the Mig technology came from captured 262's so I'd imagine there are a few sitting around in pieces somewhere.....

They defiantly keep anything US that is brought down (or crashed) over there, awhile back didn't a Lockheed designer or engineer get presented with a piece of the U2 or D-21 Drone (SR-71 type Mach 3 Drone, each one built crashed on it's own failures). I can't remember who it was, I just remember it the premise from a interview on youtube.com

They are probably in some old warehouse there were many buildings that were simply abandon after the collapse of the USSR.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 am 

Mark Allen M wrote:
Unit: l.KG-51
Cause: Shot down by flak
Wk Nr: 130126
A/C ID: 9K+AL
Pilot: Uffz Herbert Schauder
Date: September 12, 1944

130026 ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member