Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Congrats Ken...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:05 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the kind comments. As a student of the history, while flying a lightweight A-1E on 100 octane in day/VMC is a hoot, I find it humbling to imagine a night, 2-ship takeoff, at (or over) gross weight, 95F with 95% humidity, wearing combat gear, pulling 56" of power on takeoff, flying through awful weather, and then making dive bomb passes in the dark. Heroes all!

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:43 am 

Congrats Sir , as I read your past post you sir are a kind, Honest , True Gentleman. Thank you for all your selfless , insightful input in this forum, Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So, what does it fly like, compared to, say, a T-6?

Did the engine start easily?

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:33 am 

Please post more about flying it. Like what power settings are used for cruise, yielding what TAS, and at what fuel flow at that setting. Etc. etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

you be bad w/ the spad!!!! congrats :partyman: !!!! here is some jealousy to go w/ it!! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 pm 

Congratulations. That picture will hang proud in your "I love me" wall. :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:17 am 

Congrats. Welcome to the club.

"I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and skyraiders....and the rest of it I just wasted."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:01 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Again, thanks guys.

I will share some observations as I get the time. The only thing I ask is for you guys to recognize that what I say is my opinion only and that I'm still learning every time I fly (any airplane actually). Having the check complete is just another "license to learn" as they say; there are some real experts out there who have forgotten more about 3350's than I will likely ever know and I claim no gift of expertise simply because I passed one checkride. To be honest, I have no interest in flame wars or seeing what should be a positive thread turn south.

Anyway, for now I'll mention prepping my brain for the rating. I bought CD copies online of the Navy AD-5 and AD-6 NATOPS (pilot's manuals). Through the Skyraider Assoc I was able to get copies of the 1971 USAF A-1E/G/H/J Dash One (pilot's manual) as well as many of pages of student handouts used in USAF RTU (replacement training unit) at Hurlburt Field from the same time frame. Beyond that I used the internet and found every "Warbird Notes" article I could by Randy Sohn and all the related "Pelican's Perch" articles by John Deakin I could. I sorted, saved, read, and am re-reading these as they are gold. Time spent with an IP around the airplane is valuable, but the time was made much more so by being prepared with a lot of self study up front.

Another ingredient I have to acknowledge is an attempt to absorb comments made by every warbird pilot I've interfaced with over the years. Even a brief mention of, "You need to watch the manifold pressure regulator on that 3350" led me to read more and ask more about that feature than I might have otherwise. Some of the things I've heard turned out to be wrong, some right, some partly right, and some simply pilot preference.

It's also worth mentioning that few warbirds are still wired and configured as they left the factory. Learning the book and then, more importantly, learning where your particular tail number was subsequently modified to a slightly (or completely) different configuration is a must and obviously affects not only normal procedures but how you will handle a potential emergency.

More later ...

Ken

The immediate view (click to enlarge):

Last edited by Ken on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The A-1E reminds me, in many aspects, of an up-scaled T-6 and I can surely see where competence in the T-6 is a logical prerequisite for the A-1.

Regarding size, at 5'8", I can walk up to the T-6 and easily see and put my hands on the upper wing. The A-1 is so tall that I can stretch and touch the leading edge near the landing gear but it's impossible to put something like a helmet bag up on the upper skin. (And that's likely for the best since all there is up there is oil anyway.) Another example is that I can stand in the tire recess of the gear well to inspect the inner ammo doors without hitting my head!

The cockpit prep & walkaround check are similar with the addition of noting things like oil cooler & cowl flap positions, inspecting wing folds, prop fluid sump, etc. Removal of the hydraulic access panel left-aft of the cowl reveals the hydraulic sight and 3 accumulator pressure gauges & a fuel sump drain. This panel is quite big and heavy. The oil system holds 38.5 gallons. It was quite common to see 23 on the dipstick and say "let's add 10 GALLONS" in the same way I used to "add a QUART" to my RV-8. Spend a lot of time around the A-1 and then walk up to a P-51 - in scale the Mustang looks like a kit plane.

Strapping in, I feel like the T-6 you sit "in", the A-1E, you sit "on". It's hard to describe, but speaking vertically a rough estimate is that, regarding your forward view, in the T-6, 2/3 is panel with 1/3 out the window where the A-1 seems the opposite; a sense of much more overall visibility. (see the photo below)

The A-1 initially humbled me on taxi and was one area I worked hard, and will continue to work, to improve. The tailwheel is either locked aft or in full caster - no steering. The USAF student guide recommended leaving the tailwheel unlocked unless accomplishing a long straight stretch of taxi. It went on to describe the brakes as weak and prone to heat fade due their design for carrier ops - so minimize their use. It calls for maximum use of rudder for directional control instead. To give an idea of how much wind is being blown over the tail, at 900 RPM (normal for taxi), holding your hand outside the open canopy gives the feedback of riding in a car at 40 or 50 mph so there is obviously a lot of wind over the rudder even while standing still! While the big rudder is effective, in practice it's hard to judge the lazy lead & lag of inputs to stop the momentum of any swings. Trying to apply the AF technique wore me out and I'm sure gave my IP a chuckle; we discussed that it was not the best recommendation after all. Even with the tailwheel locked there is enough play that the airplane seems content to wander a few feet either side of centerline without correction. I finally realized that most guys constantly use small but strategic amounts of brake and work to prevent taxi speeds from ever picking up; planning is key, particularly on downhill runs.

The other part of the equation is size and mass. Entering a turn at too high a speed generates a force that can swing the tail around with a rate far greater than the T-6 and challenge the rudder & brake to arrest; another reason to keep taxi speed down. Finally, while I started out using conventional x-wind stick positions during taxi, I realized that, under normal conditions, I was wasting my time and wearing out my arm for no reason. The stick is heavy to hold aft and the mass of the airplane is such that I didn't feel the effects of winds taxing on the days we flew (15 knots or less). The empty weight is just under 13,000 pounds.

While over the nose vis is better in the A-1 and s-turns seemed rarely needed, the height (easily as high as sitting in an MD-80) and lack of view cross-cockpit makes for it own challenges, such as judging where the right main & tailwheel were in relation to the edge of the taxiway. Longitudinal planning, I found, is the opposite of an airliner. In a long jet, turns are overshot with the nosewheel in an attempt to get the mains to track the center. In the A-1, it seemed best to undershoot the turns so that the tail would have plenty of room to swing near center and not get close to the grass. The airplane is 40' long and, although I can't say how many feet it is from the pilot seat to the tailwheel tire, you get the distinct impression you're managing much more real estate than a T-6.

Will write more when I can .... Ken

My favorite picture to illustrate the overall size & pilot perspective of the A-1E:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:42 am 

Very interesting Ken. I have embarrassed myself plenty with a Cessna 140 the only tail dragger I every flew. The notes that you made could be made into a book. I am very interested in all that you have to say about the A-1 so thanks and keep talking. pop1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The question was asked if it was easy to start. I guess, like anything, it depends - easier said than done in some cases. As Stew Dawson points out, any fire takes fuel, air, and spark - the pilot can manipulate the fuel & air. Again, I am soaking in knowledge & technique ... and learning ... as I go.

While a 3350 can be pulled through, our procedure was to motor it with the starter. I am quite familiar with the pulling through of the T-6 and in clearing hydraulic lock via lower plug removal. I spoke recently with a very experienced A-1 pilot who said that the pulling through of a 3350 can potentially damage gearing and I took his comment to mean that the prop would, in essence, be driving the engine vs the engine driving the prop which changes some of the internal mechanical dynamics of those gears. The conversation shifted and we didn't get back to that point for clarification. Read Sohn and he will stress that the pulling through (or pre-start turning) of a radial is to simply detect a hydraulic lock and nothing else (never the clearing of a lock). Knowing what resistance to feel for and knowing when to stop and investigate is the reason some warbird operators politely decline offers of bystanders who want to help "pull her through".

Ready for start? The emergency hydraulic pump has already been tested and pressure confirmed (both on the gauge and in feel) to hold the brakes. The area behind has been cleared. The last step of the power-on preflight is to run the pre-oil motor; a minute of patience yields a positive indication of oil pressure. The next step is to turn on the beacon and clear the area for the rotation of 16 blades. The technique we used was to engage the starter for 1-2 blades two times to ensure freedom of movement before sustained turning of the remaining 12 blades. Any resistance, evidence of the starter clutch yielding, or prop rebound would be cause to stop.

Once accomplished, the mags (spark) can come to both and the fuel boost pump can come on to pressurize the system. The throttle (air) is already set at a pre-determined known spot to give the best chance at lightoff. Left hand rests on the mixture at cutoff. Right hand puts its index finger on the starter and middle finger on prime. Eyes spend a lot of time moving between the gauges (where there isn't much left to see), the crew chief (who will indicate with a thumbs-down when/if excess fuel begins to drain from the vent by the left gear leg) and the area just outside the canopy for the color of smoke that first appears at lightoff (black is excessive rich). Ears stay ready for the first sounds of ignition.

Every engine has habits whether it's a weed-eater or an airplane; being familiar with them is 75% of the battle. Our technique (for a cold airplane and shirtsleeve weather) was engage the starter, prime for 3 seconds, pause about 1 and a half seconds and then prime another three seconds. Ideally lightoff occurs shortly thereafter and the mixture can be brought up to the mid range (norm detent) and simultaneously the start & prime are released. Left hand jumps immediately to the throttle and, hopefully, is not needed. One school of thought with many types of aircraft engines is to mildly overprime, create a slightly rich mixture, and then, through the action of rotation, expel some fuel until the ideal lightoff mixture is reached. The USAF A-1 handout strongly encouraged this to prevent backfire, as that normally occurs in a lean situation (and is not to be confused with after-fire; the barking of excess fuel in a hot exhaust manifold). According to the handout and the Dash One, a true backfire can be quite damaging to intake ducting, carb seals, etc and should obviously be avoided.

The initial lightoff is an excitement that's hard to describe, as any normal person at this moment is part scientist, professional, little kid, historian, gearhead, and humble for just having his finger on said buttons. The prop turns slow if you're used to light aircraft. The soft whining and clanking is clear confirmation that you are moving a large quantity and mass of large, complicated machinery. The first cylinder to light gives a soft metallic bang that I can only describe as someone hammering a metal dumpster in a concrete alley a distance away from where you are. In a fraction of a second the next one bangs, and the next and then there's the loud rumble, smoke, and wind of lightoff.

The trick, it seems is to achieve lightoff and sustain the fire. If you overprimed, as little as 1/16" more throttle may allow enough additional air to assist in ignition, but be careful and ready to retard it immediately to avoid any sustained RPM over, say, 1000. If it seems starved of fuel, an additional shot of prime may provide what's needed. Vary the fuel and air as necessary. The guys with real experience could go on about varying the mixture, to include a moment back in cutoff, as well as varying prime or starting only on prime. These are concepts I understand but have only touched the periphery of.

After any start, ensure oil pressure came up, boost pump off, electrics on, After Start Checklist. It's actually just like starting any airplane ... only different. :wink:

This is not me, but I think it gives a good idea. Listen for that bang a split second before true lightoff: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2ac_1347030005

Ken

Last edited by Ken on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I think "your" Skyraider is here somewhere, Ken...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great thread Ken, fascinating information your sharing. Thx. How often are you flying this big thing?
A few of your statements remind me of a time I flew a Piper Mirage from California to Colorado and back. Brain overload there, more brain overload coming back.

All the best moving forward and keep the posts coming. Great stuff.

M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Mark. I flew 5 dual hops and a checkride in order to add "DC/AD-1" to my pilot certificate. This was something important to me as a bucket list item and also to start down the path of having a "marketable skill" of sorts. My next flight is not yet on the books but I'll keep you posted, provided you add some A-1 pix to the Skyraider thread ... :wink:

Ken